Old 07-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #1  
Jade Lotus Hime-Sama

S/C/G: 295/280.5/160

Height: 5'8

Red face Vitamins? Which ones are best?

So, I've been eating alot of salads (for protein, I get pre-cooked grilled chicken packs) and fruit here and there but when I go to work out, I'm sluggish, tired and ready to go to sleep even if I slept all through the night. My aunt recommended I start taking vitamins.

The food situation at my house is a bit bizarre as I roommate with my uncle. His idea of grocery shopping is a bag of salad, bottle water, orange juice, microwave popcorn and klondike bars.

We just got the house after my dad died, so we are in the process of fixing things up and getting a new oven is on the top of the list, because we had to trash the other one (it was heating up on its own). While I can go to friends and families houses and cook, I can't do it all of the time, so I have to make due with the bag of salad and fruits that I purchase. The real issue I have is, even when I cook healthy foods to eat, I'm still tired so lack of vitamins seems to be the case.

Centrium One a Day is what my aunt suggested, any other good ones out there? Maybe some specifically for woman that you guys have tried and got good results with? All answers are much appreciated! Thanks! <3

Last edited by LotusFlowers; 07-27-2011 at 06:18 AM.
LotusFlowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Try a general multivitamin and don't fret too much about which brand you get, just get something reputable. It's highly unlikely that your fatigue is caused by something which can be cured by a multivitamin. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies should be properly diagnosed by a doctor, and with the exception of iron and B12 (think those are the only two), are very rare.

Did you change anything before the fatigue started? Are you getting enough calories? Could it be from all the stress of the bereavement and moving home?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #3  

Good question. I am looking for a new multivitamin and there are so many out there every time I grab one I change my mind. I have done this for three weeks now and still no vitamins.
The last ones I had were too big and every time I took them I wanted to gag.
Sorry I can't help but I hope you get some good answers cause I'm in the same boat.
usam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Just go with whatever is handiest at your store that is reputable. Centrum is fine. You can always start there and then change to something else later when the bottle is empty. Add a calcium-magnesium-D3 to it and that ought to be good to go for now. If you have a hard time with it, maybe Flintstone chewables and Citrical petities for the calcium bit. They also make those "easier to swallow" sprays and pill splitters. Talk to the pharmacist.

There are other systems, but simple one-a-day type vitamin is good. Esp if you are under stress and strain with bereavement and house repairs and whatnot.

Make a doc appt while at it -- just to get a physical. You are dealing with a lot.

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-27-2011 at 09:39 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #5  
Jade Lotus Hime-Sama

S/C/G: 295/280.5/160

Height: 5'8

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up going with One a Day VitaCraves Gummies for Adults. Don't laugh.. I hate pills lol. They taste great and I see a difference in my energy levels. Also, they seem to have stabilized my cycle which was haywire. I had not gotten my cycle for 2 months, but then again it may also have to do with the fact I've been eating healthier.

I go to bed around 8 or 9, wake up at 3 or 4am and have loads of energy to do my 5am workout. I am then full of energy up until about 7pm and even then I can still stay up a few more hours if I like. I used to have to take naps at 2-3pm.

Last edited by LotusFlowers; 07-31-2011 at 10:07 AM.
LotusFlowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I find that the synthetic vitamins always give me a stomachache (and I sometimes throw up - TMI). I've been on food-based vitamins for two years now and they're great. I buy Rainbow Light for women through amazon.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I'm not laughing! I know a few people who like jelly vitamins, they're a handy option. I struggle because I have problems with nausea with many vitamins, especially when they have high doses of the Bs and my choices are the stinky horse tablet type or the capsules which dissolve all at once in my stomach two hours later and suddenly cause dreadful nausea, even vomiting. Plus I'm vegan and not many vitamins are suitable for vegans. I think I've finally found one I can get on with, Deva One-A-Day, but I've also bought a bottle of the Deva Tiny Tablets to keep in reserve for if I go through a patch of having more trouble with nausea again. I'm careful to take my vitamins with meals and have something to take the odd taste away immediately afterwards.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Esofia, my nutritionist and my doctor both told me that the nausea is typically only from the synthetics. Two years ago I googled to find the most gentle, non nausea inducing multi vitamin and Rainbow Light is what came up. They are vegetarian, but not vegan, sadly.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #9  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I have been taking Alive! multivitamin and daily food energizer. Its great! I can really tell a difference when I take them and I often take on an empty stomach with no nausea. They are also vegan! whooo!<---see the energy! lol

I get them at whole foods but if you look around online you can usually find a good deal. I also don't take the full 3 pills a day. I usually just take 2 in the morning and if I am really feeling run down at night I will take another in the evening. I think its the b12 that makes me feel so good and all the greens!

Check them out!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

I do a multivitamin, and then because my calcium is typically low I throw in a calcium one too. I have noticed that I need to take them after I eat a good lunch otherwise I tend to get a nautious feeling.
wagfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #11  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Also, just wanted to mention your new found energy may have come from your body adjusting to a more healthy lifestyle, as with your cycle... It takes a while to "detox" your system when changing eating behaviors-and unfortunately it doesn't take a while the other way! lol
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 278.8/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I also recommend Rainbow Light. I take the "Just Once Prenatal" even though I'm not trying to get pregnant. I'm taking it for better hair and health. I recommend to stick with what works for you. Gummy vitamins sound like fun and a great way to get the missing vitamins and minerals.
megmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #13  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdw1 View Post
I have been taking Alive! multivitamin and daily food energizer. Its great! I can really tell a difference when I take them and I often take on an empty stomach with no nausea. They are also vegan! whooo!<---see the energy! lol!

I've been taking these too, for a few weeks, and also notice a difference in how I feel and my energy levels, although I did also get back to taking my iron supplements (prescribed by a doctor, you should not take extra iron on your own) so I'm sure that made a difference too, although I started the Alive! pills before I re-started the iron, and had noticed a change.

LuckyVitamin.com is one of the cheapest places for all types of vitamins, although it works best if you order enough to get the free shipping.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #14  

Go for Vitamin B1 –
It is essential in converting foods into energy, helps supports the normal function of the nervous system, muscles and heart and promotes normal growth and development.

It is also thought to help regulate appetite. Present in moderate amounts in all foods.
the best sources are whole grains and fortified cereals
PhatBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdw1 View Post
I have been taking Alive! multivitamin and daily food energizer. Its great! I can really tell a difference when I take them and I often take on an empty stomach with no nausea. They are also vegan! whooo!<---see the energy! lol

I get them at whole foods but if you look around online you can usually find a good deal. I also don't take the full 3 pills a day. I usually just take 2 in the morning and if I am really feeling run down at night I will take another in the evening. I think its the b12 that makes me feel so good and all the greens!
I'm interested in this. There's also one that says no iron added, which do you use? Thank you!
healthynewme95 is offline   Reply With Quote