Old 05-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Default Belly Fat Cure 2011 1

New thread BFCers!!!

flabsofsteel

I'm not going to tell you how you should think about this but I will give you my perspective. The reason I started dieting last fall was to look nicer, fit into smaller clothes, that sort of thing. But since then it has become a health issue. I became aware that I am at high risk for developing Type II diabetes, which I DO NOT WANT to happen. I am willing to sacrifice a lot to keep my good health.

I have done a bit of reading on various types of diets and have convinced myself that sugars are of no nutritional use to me whatsoever and that a low(ish) carb diet is the most healthful that I could choose in terms of not developing diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc. The BFC serves these interests so I follow Jorge's guidelines. This independent research was crucial in changing my thinking so that doing low-carb for my whole life seemed not just a worthy path for weight maintenance but for reducing my disease risk.

When I first started following this diet I had trouble with the serving sizes and reconciling to myself that pasta isn't worth it and those kinds of things. The further I've gone along the more I've realized how totally unnecessary and superficial things like desserts are. They don't tempt me and I don't miss them. I would rather fuel my body with fat, protein, and some carbs than poison it with sugar.

Increasing my fat intake has really help offset any fond memories I have of sugar. Fat is YUMMY. So I would rather enjoy the foods that are delicious and healthful than pine after what I used to like that I now realize was holding me back. (A possibly important note: I do not use sugar substitutes or eat foods that are low-sugar knockoffs of original recipes. I think that keeps me from wishing I were eating real sugar.)

I can't say that I will never eat sugar-added foods again. I don't really know how long I'll stay on the BFC. But I am happy with what I'm eating. I don't feel deprived. I am comfortably full and eating yummy foods and still losing weight. I think that's a pretty good deal for just giving up sugar and some carbs. For now I'm content to keep my head down and focus on goals on the timescale of months and I'll re-evalulate how long-term this will be when I get to my goal weight. The longer I stay on this diet the more plausible being on it forever becomes.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #2  

@ERHR, Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that to me. I really do appreciate it.

The thing is, I am very healthy and I'm actually in a healthy weight range for my height. I am only trying to lose weight to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I had my son 17 months ago, so as you can tell it has been a struggle. I gained 47 lbs with my son. I also had/have to do fertility treatments to get pregnant and we are doing some treatments now which are also causing me to gain weight (hormones, birth control pills, injections to stimulate ovulation, etc) so right now I am about 10 lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight.

You are definitely right about sugars not being of any nutritional value. I completely agree with that. And the whole use of butter, full fat products, oils, etc. is very in line with the way that I like to cook and bake.

It was very eye-opening to read his book and learn about the hidden sugars. I'm really not a fan of all of the processed foods and all of that, but I do love to bake and I love to make sweets like cookies, cupcakes, etc. I wish I could fit that into this diet and I would be very satisfied!

Increasing my fat intake has definitely helped and I am having a LOT less cravings for sweet and carbs, but I'm just wondering how long that will last. Sometimes I just want to eat a REAL cookie - I made some last weekend for my son, they were with whole wheat flour, oats, raisins... they could be "healthy" but it's just the sugar. I'm also having a problem with not really eating the fruits and vegetables.

I have been enjoying eating things like whole eggs, avocado, dressings with olive oil, etc. I am just wondering how long I can last doing this. Sometimes I feel like I am missing out, especially because eating can be a very fun social aspect of life.... like going out for fancy anniversary dinners and things like that.

Thank you so much again for writing to me.

Do you have any ideas about what to eat when you eat at different restaurants?

Sushi?
Italian?
Chinese?
Diner?
flabsofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #3  

Also, can anyone give me a full days worth of meals and snacks? I am wondering if maybe I am eating the wrong things.

I am up 2 lbs since saturday and I have been sticking to the diet. 2 lbs is a lot being that I onky lost 1.8 in 2 weeks so I am over where I started!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

flabsofsteel

I haven't eaten out much since being on the BFC. When I have it's mostly been at American places so I just get a burger or something similar to a cobb salad, that kind of thing. In general I go for a meat-heavy entree without sauces and sides of either a salad with a familiar dressing or plain steamed vegetables (non-starchy).

Today I ate:
smart carb tortilla + 5 slices bacon + 1/4 cup cheddar cheese for a bacon quesadilla
1 wedge full-fat Laughing Cow cheese
half an avocado + 1 can tuna fish + 0.5 tbsp mayo
0.5 serving oatmeal + 1 tbsp peanut butter
sauteed Swiss chard: Swiss chard, red onion, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, garlic
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #5  

Hi everyone, i started this diet Monday this week after seeing a segment on Rachael Ray last week (im from NZ so we get your tv programmes a bit delayed). I must say it sounds like the perfect 'diet' for me. Although i am so sick of dieting and flipping from one quick fix to another, never sticking to anything long enough before switching to the next thing.

But to me this makes a lot of sense, especially in terms of making that 'lifestyle change' that i have been searching for. I dont want to be deprived, i dont want to miss out on life. The foods that are allowed on this plan definitely outweigh the sugar treats that i am hoping to leave behind. I hope.

According to my scales i have already lost 1 kilo (about 2 pounds i believe) in the last 3 days and I hope to lose 6 kilos total (13 pounds). I know it doesnt sound like a lot but i have struggled so much to lose more than 2-3 kilos on any plan, and then i gain them all back again + more! Seems to be a concerning cycle so i am hoping to break that now!

Anyway, I have read though pretty much all of the previous posts and feeling very inspired. So we shall see
JenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #6  

Thanks again for your reply.

Jenbear, welcome! I hope this diet works for you. I am on week 3.

Does anyone's weight dramatically increase with AF? I just got my monthly visitor today and since Monday I have been up 2+ lbs. Will this go away?

Also, I am going to be starting birth control for 3 weeks before staring a cycle of IVF (in vitro fertilization) is there anything I can do to not gain during this time??
Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #7  

Also for an Starbucks fan... I think this Is an approved drink that I finally found!

A tall breve latte.

It's made with half and half instead of milk and you can sweetend with truvia!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 221.2/207.7/130

Height: 5' 3.73"

Default Still here!

Hello all! I'm hanging in here. I tried to add a weight-loss ticker to my postings. Y'all are going to have to sit through 18 more posting by me before I can add the ticker. (Need a total of 25 postings!) That seems rather alot, but so be it, this site is free, with great people.

I had a difficult week last week, or the last 2 weeks, what w/ having a cold, my computer dying, trying to get a loaned desktop set up (not) then hours spent configuring my hubby's old laptop to my needs. I'm not a techie, and this was frustrating and took a lot of time. I had an Art History term paper to do, and end-of-semester presentations/party/staff meeting for the After-School French class I teach, and an Advanced Drawing Portfolio to finish and turn in. Was I behind? Of course! I sacrificed some sleep, but I got through it all. And I just learned that I got an A in AH!

What does all this have to do with weight loss? Well, previously to this program, in similar circumstances, I would have been stuffing my mouth with stress food: sweets and munchies. This time, my only slumps were that I didn't track very well, and I ate too much bread & extra 85% chocolate.

I didn't pig-out, and I didn't gain weight! In fact I've dropped 1.5 lbs, though that's a re-run, as I've dropped and gained them several times since the beginning of the program. However, I am lower now than what has been my cruising (recent "setpoint") weight.

So Bravo to the BFC program for weathering out my stress bunny moments! This is another proof for me that this program is liveable, and can stay the distance!

One more week of school, and then I can get more organized, I hope. Now I just gotta eat in a more balanced way, and add more veggies, & be wiser w/ my carb distribution.

How are y' all doing?
Kalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #9  

Default A whoosh! Finally!

Happy Memorial Day!

I dropped 2.5 lbs overnight! FINALLY! I finally got a considerable whoosh!

Five lbs down in 6 weeks, not very fancy or impressive, but if I keep this up, however slow, I could lose about 22 more lbs by Christmas. That is certainly better than gaining it, or staying at the same weight. My NSV (Non-Scale Victory) since my starting point April 18th, in addition to some clothing feeling looser, is 3 inches off my waist, 2" off my stomach, and 1" off my hips.

I'm still planning to tweak the diet a bit, when my life calms down, to try to accelerate the loss, but in the meanwhile I'm usually staying below 15 sugar grams and 120 carb grams, and slowly trucking along!

To those of you experiencing a slow loss, I say to just keep trying. My body, a descendent of sturdy peasants, is made to withstand famine and hang onto poundage, so I have to be very patient to get the pounds off.

So let's just keep trying, and we will eventually break through those barriers. In the meanwhile, on this diet, we can just continue to life our life (minus gooshy white bread and sweets, *sigh.*) N.B. I do eat my whole wheat pasta 1 cup (cooked) at a time - maybe why I'm having a slower loss, but I'm not hungry!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #10  

Default Where is everyone?

Hey, it's lonely here, where is everyone?

Old 05-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/see ticker/137

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisa View Post
Hey, it's lonely here, where is everyone?

I'm still here. I have not lost weight for about a month, but I am feeling good. Clothes are super loose. I haven't been doing the close counting. (As a matter of fact, right now I am unfortunately eating sour gummy worms!) But other than the candy for the weekend, I stay under my sugars and probably are staying within the six carb servings. People who don't see me very often are noticing! I haven't been posting since I don't have any weight loss to post. But I love reading everybody's good news. The struggles are there for everybody. This is a nice slow way to lose weight and I believe to actually keep it off. The program is an excellent way of life. We are human and we make mistakes. The important thing is to pick yourself up, forgive yourself, and move forward with good choices.
TheSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 252/225/180

Height: 5'9

I have been reading this thread since the principals are similar to what I am doing. Once you break the sugar cycle you will notice a big change. Keep strong.
celrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 221/204/135

I am still here too! For some reason I have been afraid to weigh in. Its been about two weeks since I last weighed. I have been sticking with the program and my clothes feel loose. I had a couple people say they are noticing. I just dont want to be demotivated by the scale not moving.

I have been working a lot of OT at work and ignoring the gym. I am heading back today. That will give me the courage to weigh tomorrow. I will share the results...good or bad!
Eineys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #14  

Hi folks!

Well, I'm an obsessive daily weigh-er, I can't help myself. So of course I gained the mandatory 1.5 pounds back. Couldn't be water weight from the sodium from eating 2 Trader Joe's Hotdogs, could it? And a few other salty things? Too much sugar from a bowl (45gr) of TJ gluten free Gorilla Munch cereal? And too much dark chocolate while finishing a translation?
I guess I kinda cut loose yesterday, hmm?
Ho hum, it'll come off again.
See-saw, See-saw. Up down, up down....

Have a good day!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 221/204/135

Finally had the courage to weigh. Down 4 pounds!!!!
I have been working really hard at the gym the last few days, I guess it paid off. Although I can barely walk...note to self: Please dont wait so long to go to the gym! It hurts too bad!!!!
Have a great day!
Eineys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote