Old 07-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #1  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Default No one knows?

Alot of you read my post re carbs and exercise but no one responded, is it because no one knows? Does anyone know where to find out? "Coaches" aren't so clear on this at least not mine. I guess I can ask for them to call the regional rep, so if I can get a good answer I will let you all know, too.
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Sorry, I wasn't one of those that read it....what was the question? Can't guarantee that I'll know the answer thou, . I will try....
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I walked one day and was up the next but had a good loss for the week still. It was only 1 mile at an incline at about 3.5 on the treadmill. I also would like to start more but if I am going to keep having 3+ pound weeks I don't want to jeopardize that. I don't want to eat more food to compensate because I never did that when calorie counting....the deficit was what I was going for. I hate to waste a week being the one who tries it to find out so I've just been avoiding it. If you find something out, let us know!
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I walked my 3 miles and was up 2 lbs today. whats up? My coach said since I was already walking to keep walking. I would love to know more about this also
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I responded with the best answer I could.

Time & Bellamack- I have been exercising since day 1 and I really feel like it has helped me. Sometimes when we exercise our muscles will retain water which is why you might show a gain on the scale the next day. This is especially true if you are sore after your workout. However, in the end, it should all equal out and you should show losses at the end of your week. I feel like exercise has enhanced my losses and has most certainly accelerated my inches lost. If you look at my lowest week of weight loss in my signature, it was the only week that I did not workout. Also, I am thinner now than I was the last time I was at this weight, which I feel is due to exercise.

If you enjoy exercising, you should do it. In the end, it is so healthy for you and you feel amazing when it is over!

And I might get blasted for saying this, but I truly believe IP saying not to exercise is a marketing ploy. If you have read Dr. Tran's book, you will know that he developed this program for ATHLETES. Do you really think he said to these athletes to stop working out??? I most certainly do not. For this level of athletes, it is their life. This is what they do, it is their job. They do this all day, every day. Do you really think they took 6 weeks off to do the Ideal Protein diet? Not me.

That being said, you really DO NOT need to exercise to lose weight on this diet. And I think that appeals to the masses. One step at a time. For most people needing this diet, it is more than enough work to follow the protocol without having to worry about getting in 30 minutes of daily exercise. So they maximize that. "Don't exercise, you will lose weight! In fact, we RECOMMEND that you DO NOT exercise!" Do you see how appealing that could sound to someone who has never exercised a day in their life? It is a great selling point.

Ok, I think it is time to step down from my soap box
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #6  

To clarify, I actually responded the best I could in your actual thread about carbs and exercising.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Thanks Jennydoodle,

I enjoy my daily walks or every other day, especially in this heat. I want to increase my exercise, but will do it very gradually. I was always a great exerciser/athlete, until about 3 years ago. I think my body/muscles will have some memory.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #8  
Freedom from Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
I responded with the best answer I could.

Time & Bellamack- I have been exercising since day 1 and I really feel like it has helped me. Sometimes when we exercise our muscles will retain water which is why you might show a gain on the scale the next day. This is especially true if you are sore after your workout. However, in the end, it should all equal out and you should show losses at the end of your week. I feel like exercise has enhanced my losses and has most certainly accelerated my inches lost. If you look at my lowest week of weight loss in my signature, it was the only week that I did not workout. Also, I am thinner now than I was the last time I was at this weight, which I feel is due to exercise.

If you enjoy exercising, you should do it. In the end, it is so healthy for you and you feel amazing when it is over!

And I might get blasted for saying this, but I truly believe IP saying not to exercise is a marketing ploy. If you have read Dr. Tran's book, you will know that he developed this program for ATHLETES. Do you really think he said to these athletes to stop working out??? I most certainly do not. For this level of athletes, it is their life. This is what they do, it is their job. They do this all day, every day. Do you really think they took 6 weeks off to do the Ideal Protein diet? Not me.

That being said, you really DO NOT need to exercise to lose weight on this diet. And I think that appeals to the masses. One step at a time. For most people needing this diet, it is more than enough work to follow the protocol without having to worry about getting in 30 minutes of daily exercise. So they maximize that. "Don't exercise, you will lose weight! In fact, we RECOMMEND that you DO NOT exercise!" Do you see how appealing that could sound to someone who has never exercised a day in their life? It is a great selling point.

Ok, I think it is time to step down from my soap box
I could not agree with you more. You are right on the money here.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/127/125

Ok, so my take on this is simply what is stated in the book AND in the athletic protocol, which is that you shouldn't try to put on muscle mass, but focus on losing body fat when exercising, this means either continue doing what you were doing before the diet started, or if you decide to start exercising, to do it moderately.
I was exercising prior to IP, so the physician who I met with said I could resume working out after the 2nd week, and to have a shake or a drink after working out (so that adds only aboutg 3-6 carbs a day). Personally I think that the program is not designed so that we have more carbs to fuel our work outs, but to add protein to preserve the muscle while we work on burning off the fat.

One of the nurses at the facility I go to, and who is also on the program, advised me to just not go crazy. She said that a doctor (my PCP who recommended the diet to me) was asked by the director of the program to stop it, because he was running 12 miles a day and was drained every single minute of every single day-as witnessed by everyone at the clinic. He's pencil thin too though, so I'm not sure why was he even continuing on the program.

So to answer your question more directly, it is my opinion that you shouldn't really look to add more carbs than are allowed per the athletic protocol, and also, I know everyone is different, but I'm not sure that 30 minutes of jogging would be enough to justify 5 IP packets.
Gika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #10  

I guess I should have added, since you know yourself better, you should try to add in the 4th or 5th packet according to how you feel after working out.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #11  

Gika- I definitely agree with what you are saying because I truly believe that eating and exercising to lose weight are wildly different than eating and exercising to increase muscle mass. At this point, being on IP, I am eating and exercising for weight and fat loss. I am not looking to gain muscle mass, just not lose what I already have.

Since day 1, I have been having 4 packets per day on exercise days. I had my standard IP 3 and just added 1 more immediately post workout. This week, my doc asked me to add 1 more and loosely follow the athletic protocol, brining my total packet count to 5. He wants to see if it will help or hinder my losses. Even though I have felt perfectly fine on 4, I am his test study / guinea pig, so I have agreed to try 5 packet for 1 week.

So far my losses have been quite steady and I am pleased as punch with my progress. If I have a good loss again this week, I may go for another week at 5 packets. If not, I will drop back to 4.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #12  

I can't wait to see your results from this week Jenny!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #13  
Freedom from Food

You both make great points. I think the idea of the diet also, is to preserve muscle mass as BMI is so vital.
Some days I work out hard for two hours and on others I am lucky to squeak in that thirty minutes of jogging. I guess I will have to listen to my body to figure out what is right for me.
Jenny's results will help give us a clue in the right direction.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 153.8/142.6/135ish

Height: 5'7

Personally, I cannot imagine how you can work out hard for 2 hours on IP! I have had several smaller 1 hour workouts and my last one I was totally drained. I am in week 3 and had read you shouldn't exercise much til after week 3, so I will increase mine soon (and look forward to it). That said, you will not increase your carbs, per se, but will add 1-2 packets depending on intensity and needs.
coliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #15  
Freedom from Food

Ha, yes...I know what you mean. I had been exercising doing one hour of kickboxing and one hour of running outdoors on a tough trail before IP. In the first few weeks there was no way I could sustain the energy for that. So, I toned it down...each week since I am finding I have the stamina more often than not. So I do it when I can, and some days are easier than others. I love to work out, love the feeling I get afterwards and the stress reduction...want to be toned, and really want to be healthy and live long healthily.
That said, I think a two hour workout is too time consuming on a daily basis, and I was getting obsessed doing it because the SCALE wouldn't BUDGE at all. I kept telling myself "calories in, calories out" is all that matters, and I have alot of discipline...so I kept at it. And after nearly two and a half straight months and alot of cancelled plans with life, I found IP and have a much better balance and a great weight loss on my way to my goal weight.

It feels good...but takes effort, that's for sure!