Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 11:59 AM   #1  

Hi there! The other thread was getting full. I hate to admit that I have been a lurker on this board. I would like join the daily support. I have lost 50 pounds, but need to lose about that many more. I am getting married in October, and I am hoping to be a size 12 bride--but 14 will do. I am a size 18 at the moment, so I think it's possible.
I have started exercising again, and watching what I eat, but I am prone to slip ups this past month. I want to get back on program and I hope you all can help me. Looking forward to meeting you!----

Abby
Old 03-08-2001, 03:21 PM   #2  

Hi girls

Yeah, the last post was definately getting long. Thanks for starting a new thread Ressey and for joining us!!

I have really had a good week, and am praying soon some weight will be gone. Last night I went and worked out rode the bike, did the climber, lifted weights that type of thing. Well, I am having trouble losing weight in my tummy, and wanted to do some crunches to help tone that area. I didn't want to do them in front of other people (wouldn't have been a pretty sight--lol) so I did them when I got home. Well........this morning my tailbone hurts so bad I can't sit!!! UGH!!

Krista, I am seriously thinking about looking into Taebo. I am hoping our library has it so I could try it first before I buy it. I don't want to buy the wrong one.

Screechinglassie, welcome I'm glad you joined us. Already you are doing great by making good choices!! What works for me is to not think of it as a diet but as a lifestyle change instead where you make better choices in what you eat. After a while it becomes second nature. For example I haven't eaten anything fried since May 2000 and the thought of fried greasy food turns my stomach now. Oh......and as far as chips, have you given the Wow chips a try?? They taste good and I haven't had a problem with them.

Ressey, so glad to have you join us also!! You sound really similar to me. I have lost 40 pounds with 50 more to go. I am in a size 18 right now and would really like to get into a size 14 or 12 soon. My goal weight is 160. How did you lose the 50 pounds?? That is quite an accomplishment. Way to go!! Congrats also on your approaching marriage. I also got married in Oct.

Well, take care all. I leave for San Diego in 3 days!! YES. I can't wait.

250/210/160
Old 03-08-2001, 04:43 PM   #3  

Hi all-

Well I blew it yesterday but today so far so good. I am still determined to Taebo tonight.

Gina- I don't know about you but I HATE crunches - but I found a GREAT ab machine. I think it's called the ab slide or ab roller. It does the same thing as the turbo track that Suzanne Summers does the infomercials for, only it's WAY smaller and cheaper. I bought mine for 20 bucks at Target and I love it. It is smalland light and easily fits under the bed. The bonus is not only does it work your abs but it also works the back and upper arms - really killer if you do it for about 5 minutes per night. Not that I have lately!

Screechinglassie- I don't know how the weather is out there but if you like to run or speedwalk, one great exercise to do with kids is get one of those runner strollers and push the little one while you run/walk, while the older one rides along on his bike. Kids love it. Even just playing soccer with them is a great exercise that you can do in the backyard. During winter, try aerobics tapes. Richard Simmons is a fun one for that. I have younger cousins who I used to babysit who loved to dance along to the tapes. Now that they're older (junior high age) they are always happy to do Taebo or go run with me. Kids are a great motivator, once you get them in the habit they think of it as play time and start bugging you to do it daily!

Everybody else, hope you're having a great day and hope you're getting weather as good as ours - the rain is finally gone and it is sunny and beautiful and in the upper 60's! (Sorry for those of you getting pounded by the noreaster!)

Take care,
Krista
Old 03-08-2001, 04:49 PM   #4  

Ressey - forgot in my last message to say welcome and you CAN be a size 14 bride by October! When I lost my weight, once I started losing it seemed to just fly off. I started in January to get ready to be a bridesmaid in a July wedding and I dropped from a size 16 to a 12 by July but then by that September I was down to an 8. Once I lost the first 20 it just seemed to melt off, hopefully you will have the same experience!
Old 03-08-2001, 05:24 PM   #5  

Just wanted to check in and wish everyone well for today. Seems like few of us are concentrating on our abs lately (Krista,Just me). My experience is that crunches will only get you so far, good abs are a result of lower body fat percentage and toned muscles. You can do crunches til the cows come home(as we say in the country), but if you neglect aerobic activity you'll just be strengthening muscle tissue underneath your tummy. Ab equipment is really fun to use and makes doing abs a little easier to do because its new, but I found out that the ab roller if used too severely can cause incontinence because women's bodies weren't built to roll up so high. I used to be a workout tape junkie so I've tried quite a few if anyone needs a recommendation.
I have to say I really like this forum, I haven't had a lot of experience other than my closest friend and mom for women to actually be supportive of one another, it's great to hear all of the encouragement. A big thank you to all who chat here, thanks for listening-chubs2
Old 03-08-2001, 06:33 PM   #6  

Hello All. Glad that this thread is up and running daily!

Just Me--I lost the weight gradually by small changes in lifestyle. It took almost a year to lose it. I started with exercise and then started to modify my eating. Losing weight while exercising is the best because it tones you big time. Example---I was a size 18 a few years ago, but weighed about 30 pounds less than I do now. I dabble in Tae-Bo, aerobics, and Yoga (great for relaxation).

Now I am trying to do Richard Simmons' MG&L program, and have lost about 11 pounds since Jan 7th. I was off program for 2 weeks due to a hip injury and the flu--but I am back and working at it! I hope to see the needle move outta the 30s (230) and below 200 before August.

I recently have been working abs as well. (It must be in the air). I do about 40-50 crunches a night. I feel like I am toning a little bit, but I would love to lose the poochie I have

Looking forward to chatting daily! Nice to meet you!
Old 03-09-2001, 01:12 AM   #7  

hey ladies...

well nothing new and exciting.. have been a naughty girl though... but hey naughty is what i do.. tee hee hee... ya.. went out to dinner.. ate all teh wrong food... don't worry im paying for it.. lactose intolerant.. and i had ice creaam.. so... self-inflicted karma.
you know i came to a realization. that i measure me .. self-worth in the way others wee me.. noit all the time... but most of the time. I feel like im never going to meet any guys worthwhile, because none of them see me as worth while... (wah wah wah.. self-pity... but hey if your good at something!!! ha ha) i guess im just all whiney because im single and all my friends have something going on in there love lives.. and im just like..w ell i got the cutest skirt... just doesn't compare you know?? i'll get over it.

ta ta for now

Mel
Old 03-09-2001, 10:09 AM   #8  

Hi, everyone. I'm so happy it's Friday. Just wanted to check in. Princessphoebe, keep your chin up girl. The whole self-esteem thing is a vicious circle. We feel bad about ourselves and we project that. Men will then view us as less worthy because that's the vibe we're exuding. Then we feel bad because they treat us badly. So I try to avoid the whole circle game by finding things in myself I can be confident about and slowly the image I'm projecting isn't quite so self depricating.

And I would also like to say that we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves when we eat foods that are bad. I've found away to do this and it really works for me, I learned it when I was doing the Body for Life contest you may have heard of it. Anyway the meal plan for that is really restrictive, but you are allowed one day where you don't count fat, calories etc and eat whatever you want. Saturdays have been my "eat bad day" for two years. Your body can recover from one day of bad. I eat really well during the week and if I crave something I remember to wait until Saturday. The guilt I feel for eating cookies or burgers is gone.

Has anyone else started the Self Challenge? I made a handy daily checklist based on the daily meal planner they provided and it helps a lot.

Have a nice weekend everyone, chubs2
Old 03-09-2001, 11:22 AM   #9  

Hi!

This is my first time posting here. I've been battling my weight for as long as I can remember. I'm 5'6" and weigh 170. My ultimate goal is 130.

For the past couple weeks I've been exercising an hour a day, five days a week and eating healthy. However, I've managed to gain 2 pounds. Although I realize it's probably muscle or water weight, it is still somewhat discouraging! I'm sure we all know what I mean.

I am really excited about having people to chat with, encourage, and even vent with. I think it will help get me through the tough times.

Right now my goal is to get through lunch without breaking down and ordering a cheeseburger with fries!

Baby steps...right??
Old 03-09-2001, 04:42 PM   #10  

hi girls-

Rexanne, I know exactly what you mean, one summer in high school I worked out an hour a day for 3 months and didn't lose a pound! But don't give up, if you keep it up even if you gain weight you will tone and lose dress sizes and that is what matters. Weight is only a number, right?

Princessphoebe, we can be single together! My hot date tonight is with about 150 history papers that I have to grade!

Chubs2, I love the Body For Life "eat bad day." I should do that with coke, I am an absolute addict (the soda not the drug!). I will have to pick up Self when I go grocery shopping this weekend - going to hit the fruits & veggies hard and try to start making my lunch instead of buying at the cafeteria. I have a great recipe for pasta salad which is great for me in that it helps me get my broccoli in (hate it cooked but love it raw).

Have a great weekend everybody, I am hitting the beach tomorrow to run and will be keeping this support in mind when I drag my a** out of bed at 7am on a Saturday morning!

Krista
Old 03-09-2001, 10:16 PM   #11  

Hi everyone!!

I am having a great day. We leave for San Diego tomorrow morning!! I can't wait.

I have had a good week eating and exercising but my scale hasn't moved. UGH!! I wish it would, but I am too excited right now to care.

Krista, I will look into the ab roller thing. I have always wanted to try one of those but wanted to hear from someone who liked them first. My husband has offered to teach me some of the ab machines at our wellness center. I do a lot of cardio and arms , but don't feel I work that area enough. Oh and thanks for the support you gave Rexannel. It couldn't have came at a better time for me. Why do we always get hung up on a number anyway!!

Chubs2, I am doing the Self Challenge in case you didn't see me post that before. What do you think of it?? I really like it and think it is something I can stick to. So far I have done well for 2 weeks. I am taking next week off since I will be in California. I know I will get lots of cardio in because we will be biking, but no strength training. Let me know what you think of it. We can help each other stay on track.

Ressey, this is the first time I am trying to lose weight by eating right AND exercising. I have lost in the past but never exercised. I am looking at this as a lifestyle change. Actually I have come to really like the exercise part.

Princessphoebe, don't get down on yourself for having a bad eating day. We all have them. I played the same game as you and measured my self worth by how others saw me. For the most part I am past that and I believe that is what held me back for years in my weight loss. You are a wonderful person!! Don't forget that.

Rexanne, glad you joined us!!! You have come to the right place for support. You are probably gaining muscle. (At least that is what I am telling myself right now) I too have been working out like crazy but have had the scale stuck. We'll work through it together!! And yes saying no to that cheeseburger and fries is a huge accomplishment. It is all about the choices we make.

Well, I have talked and talked tonight. I just didn't want to miss anyone.

I am leaving in the morning and will be gone for a week. Hopefully I will find some time to check in, but if not take care guys and stay strong.

love and luck,
gina

250/210/160
Old 03-10-2001, 01:08 AM   #12  

well girls.. hadn't eaten anythign all day ordered take out... now i just feel tired and full.. and i idn't eat all that much../ just the wrong crap... is there such a thing as healthy take out??
Krist girl, i think we are soul mates.. ha ha.. im toatally addicted to coke too...(pop not drug).. and im not a big fan of my vegtables cooked... especially carrots and cauliflower... brocoli too.. but cooked carrots repulse me for some reason.

stay motivated ladies... and stay positvie..
Old 03-12-2001, 02:33 PM   #13  

Well, it's week two for the Self Challenge for me, I'm doing the online version to cut down on paper work. I submitted last weeks totals and I met my goals. This does seem like something I can stick to, but so far I haven't really learned anything I didn't already know. I think I'm at a disadvantage because I read a lot, my problem is actually applying what I know.

Welcome Rexanne and any other new people, you'll find this to be a good place for support and feedback!

Although in my case bringing lunch from home began as a purely financial necessity, it's the only way I actually know what is in the food I'm eating. So Rexanne and Krista you'll find the temptation of fast food eliminated when you bring food from home. Plus if you plan right you'll have more leftover in your pocketbook.

Keep all the good work up, everybody-chubs2
Old 03-12-2001, 02:59 PM   #14  

Hi girls, hope you all had a good weekend! Well I did hit the grocery store and loaded up on fruits & veggies (grapes on sale for 77 cents a pound, I bought 3 bags!). I am feeling very good about this stuff and will be making my favorite pasta salad tonight, yum.

Gina, hope you are having a great time in San Diego! And let me know how it goes with the ab slider thing. It's much easier on your tailbone!

Chubs2, I couldn't believe it but my stupid grocery store didn't have Self! So I think I'll check out the online version also, good idea.

Princess Phoebe, I hear ya! Coke was on sale for 69 cents for a 2 liter bottle - you know I broke down and bought one! I figured I deserved a little coke treat on Saturday night, since I didn't have a date I was damn sure going to do something for myself!

Happy Monday everybody--Monday is always the easiest day for me to eat well, guess it's all those years of "my diet starts Monday" ingrained in my head!
Old 03-12-2001, 08:15 PM   #15  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default Hello!

Hi, I hope you ladies don't mind me butting in...I thought it might be cool to join
a group with gals around my age for a change!

I'm normally a part of the Exercise thread and started one in Misc. Groups.

Anyway, I've been reading through your posts and see a lot of myself in there!

PRINCESSPHOEBE:
Don't EVER feel like a guy will never notice you! Just like you say, "you never know
who's checking out that smile" (or something like that!). I never thought that
myself, and just on a day when I wasn't thinking about it, it happened, in
Barnes and Noble of all places!

RESSEY:
You can definitely achieve your goal! If you don't, it doesn't matter, because your
hubby married you for who you are now, whether you are 300 pounds or 115!
Either way, at least you're starting your married life in a healthy way! That's
really great!

RESSEY & JUSTME:
Congrats both of you on your great loss! It must be so great to remember what
it was like to be 40 & 50 pounds heavier! It only goes to prove that you can
lose that other half! I'm at 200 and just starting over again I was at 189
in September but quit everything..I moved out and bought a house and
started classes again, and got way off track. But I'm settled in my house
now and just dropped one of three classes, so I feel more adjusted...now
I have no other excuses! I've gained it all back and am going to try again.

That's all we can do , right? Is try....

Have a good night!
Closed Thread