General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:51 AM   #1  
One step at a time

Location: The land of Spare Room in the City of Wardrobe..-C.S. Lewis

Talking What you can learn from being a Barista.

I have the pleasure of being able to serve everyone there favorite beverages . When they come into my cafe, they order whatever their little hearts desire. But i have learned..that you can tell a lot about the kind of lifestyle they have just based on there choice..

For example:

A skinny latte with skim and sugar free syrup says "im carb conscious and fat concious"

A double caramal macchiatto with a triple shot caramal and asking for whip on the top says "screw any diet..i want my whip! and give me that caramal!"

A triple shot espresso says "wake me up!"

A steeped tea- "comfort and relaxation baby"

A hot chocolate "i wanna be cozy and cuddled and loved"

Its much like a cashier in a store..How do you know when its a lot of peoples time of the month???? Because the cashier is ringing in women who have stacks of chocolate bars or chocolate related items.

Its interesting what you can tell about people just by observing them in everyday life.
Jasesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8

Haha I used to do that when I worked in a newspaper shop. I still judge people based on what newspaper they read Nice to know some of my opinions have been validated by the recent goings on in the British media.
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I have been known to put in an order like this:

"A tall black coffee. And please don't put any cr@p in it. Yes, black."

I have a feeling this does not say anything flattering about me.

What it's meant to convey is resistance to the upsell & the widespread tendency to turn coffee into a dessert, when to me it serves the purpose of a pure unadulterated legal drug -- the purer, the better.

I can think of better uses for those calories.

Last edited by saef; 07-20-2011 at 07:58 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

...this is just making me want a coffee...

I used to work as a cashier a good 10-12 years ago at a grocery store. Good life lessons there... like... Don't get between people and their food! Or their lottery tickets.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Oh my gosh... People and their lotto tickets. This is off topic but yesterday I stopped to the store on my way back to work from my lunch hour to get a drink and a snack. This little, elderly man in front of me was getting tickets. It took him TEN minutes to figure out what he wanted, get them, & pay for him. I know patience is supposed to be a virtue, but my goodness. I've got places to go! lol *end rant*
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #6  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasesgirl View Post
A skinny latte with skim and sugar free syrup says "im carb conscious and fat concious"
Well, before I was paying any attention to my carb intake, I wanted the sugar-free syrup just because it cuts the calories way down.

An iced skinny vanilla latte is how I wake up on the way to work nearly every weekday.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post

What it's meant to convey is resistance to the upsell & the widespread tendency to turn coffee into a dessert, when to me it serves the purpose of a pure unadulterated legal drug -- the purer, the better.
This! The people in Starbucks always looked at me like 'ah yeah, pick the cheapest thing on the menu you stinge!' when I ordered filter coffee. So I stopped going there. I have to have it with milk though!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
This. Places like Starbucks are like ice-cream shop for grownups wanting their dessert drinks. When I have their plain black it's so gross I don't blame them for wanting to put all the sugar and things in it to disguise it!

I make a better cup at home. But I've been to starbucks when I want a milky coffee milkshakey thing. LOL.

I remember boggling at "cappuccino" here in the US. That's not cappuccino -- it's assorted milky drinks with whip cream. Actual cappuccino is 1/3 espresso, 1/3 milk, 1/3 froth and my dad and I miss getting it abroad. It's a miracle when we find places that make it almost right.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-20-2011 at 11:24 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #9  

I hate it when people put whipped cream on a cappuccino. If you are gonna use the original name, make it the proper way! Luckily, I live in Vienna and they know how to do coffee here. Even though it annoys me that you get such a tiny amount, like a shot of coffee (it wasn't meant to be an espresso!). My bf refers to Starbucks as 'washing up water coffee'. I do like the massive portions though!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 196/187/139

Height: 5ft 9

starbucks regular coffee is straight up gross. nasty, burnt tasting... blech.

I generally prefer to make my coffee at home. I order from Unique Coffee Roasters online( http://www.uniquecoffeeroasters.com/ )

They have a Toasted Coconut flavour that is ridiculously good. I've never had better coffee than from them. Their Winter Warmer flavour is also excellent. I've stopped buying anything but those(except the instant I use to make the homemade frappuccinos I mentioned in another thread).

I usually add one splenda a little splash of coconut(drinking) milk.
RawrDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 196/187/139

Height: 5ft 9

btw, if any of you do order from them, sign up for their mailing list. their shipping prices are horrible, but they have free shipping deals quite often.
I only order when I get free shipping.
RawrDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 185.5/175/125

Talking

MMM now I want Dunkin Donuts they have the best coffee!
Abigail207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #13  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
This. Places like Starbucks are like ice-cream shop for grownups wanting their dessert drinks. When I have their plain black it's so gross I don't blame them for wanting to put all the sugar and things in it to disguise it!

I make a better cup at home. But I've been to starbucks when I want a milky coffee milkshakey thing. LOL.

I remember boggling at "cappuccino" here in the US. That's not cappuccino -- it's assorted milky drinks with whip cream. Actual cappuccino is 1/3 espresso, 1/3 milk, 1/3 froth and my dad and I miss getting it abroad. It's a miracle when we find places that make it almost right.

A.
this is actually how i was taught to make those when i worked at a coffee shop in a little town back in the day when i was going to college...interesting to hear that it's not always done like that in the US...i enjoyed working there, i enjoy all things "coffee"...

when i order coffee, i like to order a nonfat mocha with sugar free hazelnut...mmmmm
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #14  
One step at a time

Location: The land of Spare Room in the City of Wardrobe..-C.S. Lewis

Lol..ya starbucks is not cool for there black coffee...tut tut
I prefer little independent coffee shops like the one i work at!...
Jasesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #15  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I just buy equal exchange from church when I need some. Though I've had different ones, I come back to the organic fellowship blend.

http://www.equalexchange.coop/

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-20-2011 at 05:03 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote