General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #1  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Default 20th High School Reunion...too ashamed to go.

My 20th High School Reunion is this coming weekend. I weighed about 80 lbs less in high school than I do now, and the last person who saw me that hadn't seen me in that long really seemed shocked at my weight. She didn't try to be cruel, and she never said a word about my weight...but she didn't recognize me at first.

I want to go- I missed my 10th HS reunion (shame, that, since that was before I gained weight) but I'm so ashamed of how I look and I'm afraid people will make comments.

Has anyone else had this issue- what did you do?
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Go ! I'll bet you will find others have gained weight as well and some of those cute boys are now bald.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Just Go. I have my 35th and I told one of my friends I wasn't going because of my weight and she said you look 1000x better than most of them. When I went to my 25th, I didn't recognize so many people and everyone recognized me, sooooooooooo it just doesn't matter. Go and have fun, I always have a blast and definitely Laugh Alot
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

I say go! You KNOW that a LOT of others will be heavier now than in high school... I get that it is a tough position and I've been there. Not with HS reunion, but with parties, etc. In the end, when I forced myself to go it was NEVER as bad as I thought it might be. And when I caved and hid at home, I always felt worse about it later. Even years later, I remember making up an excuse not to go to a friends NewYearsEve party. I still feel ashamed, I wish I'd just gone! For me, part of losing weight has been learning to "own" what I am -- to be able to say at whatever weight, look this is what I am and it doesn't define me. Confidence can make up for a multitude of sins -- and faking confidence looks just the same to others... Best of luck, I hope you go!
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

I missed my 10 year reunion b/c I live out of state, but from the pictures I saw just about everybody has packed on a few pounds over the years. I'm willing to bet you'll find the same at your 20th reunion.......I say go and have fun and don't worry about what others are thinking. Chances are nobody's going to look exactly like they did 20 years ago.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Go ! I'll bet you will find others have gained weight as well and some of those cute boys are now bald.
This one made me laugh out loud.

I see what you all are saying- I guess part of my complex is that one of the very few people I've actually stayed in contact with doesn't look like she's aged a day and her figure is just as great as it was back then. I guess I got it into my head they'd ALL be like that, which I guess is silly.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm going to my 30th in a few weeks. I don't remember what I weighed in HS but it's probably less than I am now, but I don't care! I know many people are going to be a lot bigger than they were and some will be smaller. It really doesn't matter--I just want to see friends I haven't seen for years and get all caught up.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't do high school reunions, even if I weigh 100 lbs less than I did in high school. My mom went to my same high school as me and she goes to her reunions and she enjoys them for the most part when she goes though. I'd say if you want to go, then go.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I went to an 18 year reunion (yeah weird, I know). At that point I was 50-60 lbs heavier than HS. I was uncomfortable about it, but I still ended up having a great time.

BTW, it would be my 20th this year too, if we were having a reunion, which we're not. Someone has to throw a reunion, and no one from my class ever does.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #10  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodoo613 View Post
I went to an 18 year reunion (yeah weird, I know). At that point I was 50-60 lbs heavier than HS. I was uncomfortable about it, but I still ended up having a great time.

BTW, it would be my 20th this year too, if we were having a reunion, which we're not. Someone has to throw a reunion, and no one from my class ever does.
It's the same people organizing our class reunion that held class officer positions in high school. I guess that makes sense, but I bet they didn't know they were signing up for a lifetime position.

I'm still on the fence, and am mulling it through today. I have until Friday to tell them whether I'm going or not.

I appreciate all the encouragement. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has put on weight.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #11  

Go. You'll have a good time.

And to all those old classmates who have also gained weight...tell them you have had a lot of success on 3fatchicks.
They are probably more embarrassed than you about their own weight gains.
Exchange phone numbers with them. Give them all a hug. It's what they need.

And they will be forever grateful to you if they joined here and lost a lot of weight also.

I am going to a reunion in August. I am going on a mission to spread the word that there is still hope for those of us who have padded our posteriors too much. A sense of humor helps.

JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

When I went to my ten year reunion I had gained 100 pounds. Yes. One. hundred. pounds. In ten years. I missed my 20 but I still weigh about the same - only now I don't have youth on my side. I really wish I had been able to make it. I have seen the pictures and people either look exactly the same or they've gained a lot of weight so...I would have been in good company.

If you want to go and your weight is the only thing holding you back, GO.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #13  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
It's the same people organizing our class reunion that held class officer positions in high school. I guess that makes sense, but I bet they didn't know they were signing up for a lifetime position.

I'm still on the fence, and am mulling it through today. I have until Friday to tell them whether I'm going or not.

I appreciate all the encouragement. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has put on weight.
they all have their own demons and challenges, some more obviously seen than others....i graduated with 5 (yes, five) other kids my senior year...one of them is still just a pretty and skinny as she was then, but she adores kids and coaches teams...and yet doesnt have any kids of her own...and i think that just kills her that she doesnt have any while another one lives with the knowledge that he drove drunk, wrecked and his passenger/best friend was killed

on a lighter note, nice to see someone else from alaska on here! eagle river is a beautiful place!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #14  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I didn't go to my 20th for that reason and I vowed I would go to my 25th, but more svelte... Yet, I wasn't doing anything about that until my health started to be affected by my weight. So now it just happens that my 25th is in 2013. I sure hope I will have lost the rest of this weight and have maintained it by then and will look fit too! But I know that if it wasn't for the health issuews, I would be just as fat at the 20th as well as the 25th. And really by not going, who's hurt? no one but me. Sure, some people might gloat and some people might be sad/concerned, but more people will love to have seen you, no matter what.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #15  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

My 20-year reunion was last month. I didn't go, but it had nothing to do with weight. At my current weight, I'm about 38 pounds heavier than when I graduated. I know it could have been worse. Anyway, I didn't go because I didn't really know many people who were going. All of my friends I kept up with didn't go. My husband didn't want to go, and at $70 apiece, it seemed kind-of expensive. There were 500 people in my graduating class, and only about 30 or so showed up. Not a great turnout. Still, I kind-of wanted to go, you know? Maybe I will go if they have a 25-year reunion. I say, go and have a great time! Don't regret not going.

Last edited by theCandEs; 07-19-2011 at 10:15 PM.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote