Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: IP160/131/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Out of IP Packets!

I'm about 2 packets short of IP packets before I get new ones.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for this situation? I do have some packets from another source (Nashua). I ordered those because I had stalled in my weight loss, but by the time that order came, I began losing on IP products again.

Do you think using those other packets from Nashua will cause me to go out of ketosis or impact the weight loss? I ordered the products by unrestricted and restricted guidelines.

Maybe I'm making too much of this. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I ordered:
Bacon and Cheese Omelet
Cream of chicken soup
Choc. Soy Puffs
Honey Nut cereal
Bars -- these are within the restricted guidelines, but I saw they have sugar in them.
Lone Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Protein is protein. IP packets are milk protein isolate and milk protein concentrate which means they are mostly whey protein along with some casin. There is nothing special about the IP protein packets except their price.

So don't worry, be happy. Go ahead and have some Nashua protein packets.

Also, please do yourself a huge favor and educate yourself as much as possible about how fat loss works. Here is a primer.

Fat loss is an equation of energy. Consume less energy than your body uses and your body makes up the difference by using the body's stored energy. Energy is measured in caloires. So another way to say this is eat less caloires than you're using and your body will burn fat stores and you will lose fat.

Weight loss should not be confused with fat loss. When you stopped losing weight it was not because you stopped losing fat. Fat loss was just masked by water retention. Thus, the scale is not the best way to track what is happening. Taking measurements and pictures weekly is the best way.

Ketosis is not responsible for fat loss and has no effect on the energy equation. It can enhance mood or energy levels but the reason you're losing fat is because you're in a caloric deficit. (Consuming less energy than your body needs)

Hope this was helpful. Stick with the program and you'll lose a lot of fat.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 5"

I use exclusively Protidiet/Protithin packets and supplements from other stores. I don't think using alternatives will cause a problem if you stick to the protocol.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

What he said! lol
Many IP ers use other products, you can also use the EAS shakes that you can find at Sam's or Wal-mart. Keep up the good work
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

I've been using the EAS shakes, but what about Muscle Milk lite shakes? They have 6 grams of carbs. Is that too much? I can't always get to Top Foods for the EAS and I don't want to pay the $5 per shake to get the IP product.
Pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #6  
I know I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Protein is protein. IP packets are milk protein isolate and milk protein concentrate which means they are mostly whey protein along with some casin. There is nothing special about the IP protein packets except their price.

So don't worry, be happy. Go ahead and have some Nashua protein packets.

Also, please do yourself a huge favor and educate yourself as much as possible about how fat loss works. Here is a primer.

Fat loss is an equation of energy. Consume less energy than your body uses and your body makes up the difference by using the body's stored energy. Energy is measured in caloires. So another way to say this is eat less caloires than you're using and your body will burn fat stores and you will lose fat.

Weight loss should not be confused with fat loss. When you stopped losing weight it was not because you stopped losing fat. Fat loss was just masked by water retention. Thus, the scale is not the best way to track what is happening. Taking measurements and pictures weekly is the best way.

Ketosis is not responsible for fat loss and has no effect on the energy equation. It can enhance mood or energy levels but the reason you're losing fat is because you're in a caloric deficit. (Consuming less energy than your body needs)

Hope this was helpful. Stick with the program and you'll lose a lot of fat.
I don't understand. Why do the coaches keep talking about being in ketosis ?
And the pancreas getting a break? Is this all true?
Watkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #7  

Thanks so much for your responses! I've done so well with the IP products (and have bought into what my IP coaches have said) that I was a little bit afraid to try the other products. I'll give it a go -- what have I got to lose??? (pun intended).
Old 07-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Loser View Post
Thanks so much for your responses! I've done so well with the IP products (and have bought into what my IP coaches have said) that I was a little bit afraid to try the other products. I'll give it a go -- what have I got to lose??? (pun intended).
A number of people have made the transition from IP products to alternatives and had success. You'll be fine.

Watkat- not being dismissive, but don't worry too much about the ketosis issue. JohnP is not an IP user and doesn't support the theory behind ketosis in low carb diets. I don't recall anyone saying that you have to be in ketosis to lose weight. If that were true, then calorie counting wouldn't work- which it does, but less quickly than IP. Ketosis does have benefits for weight loss and cutting carbs does help us lose weight faster. Managing insulin secretion in relation to sugar/carbohydrate comsumption gives your pancreas a "rest". You're not riding the sugar rollercoaster.

If you haven't yet, I suggest reading Dr Chan's book
Old 07-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watkat View Post
I don't understand. Why do the coaches keep talking about being in ketosis ?
And the pancreas getting a break? Is this all true?
I don't know why IP coaches (or at least your coach) talks about the importantance of being in ketosis but my guess would be because she/he doesn't understand the science and is merely repeating what she/he has been told. It seems to the average person to be some kind of magic when they hear about it. I myself followed a similar diet for a while and intially thought there was some kind of magic to ketosis myself.

Dr Chan's book is not accurate with the idea that the pancreas needs a break. It doesn't and in fact insulin is still released when you're on the IP diet because one does not need to ingest carbs for insulin to be released. It is much more accurate that some people are insulin resistant and therefore dropping most of the carbs out of the diet is a good idea but that is a different issue.

This doesn't mean the IP diet doesn't work. It does work. It works very well. It is a modified PSMF (google it) and works because you're eating very few calories and ingesting enough supplements to make up for any potential essential nutrient shortfalls one might normally experience on so few calories. It works well because it has phases to bring you off the IP diet and into a different way (lifestyle) of eating that is sustainable for the long term.

If you want to know everything there is to know about ketosis as it applies to diet you should read Lyle McDonald's book on the subject which is well footnoted and referenced with actual science. Having said that - I personally wouldn't bother because Lyle himself would tell you simply that ketosis is not something worth worrying about. It doesn't affect fat loss and there is no reliable way for you at home to determine what level (if any) of ketosis you're in.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0vingon View Post
Watkat- not being dismissive, but don't worry too much about the ketosis issue. JohnP is not an IP user and doesn't support the theory behind ketosis in low carb diets.
What theory are you referring to? Ketosis is extremely well researched and a very well understood process.

Ketosis does nothing to speed up fat loss. You can be in ketosis and not lose any weight. Granted, it would be an unusual diet but it has been researched and there is no metabolic advantage to ketosis.

Think of it this way. If ketosis sped up fat loss the only way it would be able to do so is to speed up the metabolism. Do you think that while the body is in ketosis (which is essentially an adaptation mechanism for the body to preserve LBM because it isn't getting enough sugar) that it would make sense to also speed up the metabolism and therefore increase the need for energy?

This doesn't mean that some people won't lose weight faster on a very low or low carb diet. Insulin resistant people will. However, this is not because of ketosis.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #11  
I know I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I don't know why IP coaches (or at least your coach) talks about the importantance of being in ketosis but my guess would be because she/he doesn't understand the science and is merely repeating what she/he has been told. It seems to the average person to be some kind of magic when they hear about it. I myself followed a similar diet for a while and intially thought there was some kind of magic to ketosis myself.

Dr Chan's book is not accurate with the idea that the pancreas needs a break. It doesn't and in fact insulin is still released when you're on the IP diet because one does not need to ingest carbs for insulin to be released. It is much more accurate that some people are insulin resistant and therefore dropping most of the carbs out of the diet is a good idea but that is a different issue.

This doesn't mean the IP diet doesn't work. It does work. It works very well. It is a modified PSMF (google it) and works because you're eating very few calories and ingesting enough supplements to make up for any potential essential nutrient shortfalls one might normally experience on so few calories. It works well because it has phases to bring you off the IP diet and into a different way (lifestyle) of eating that is sustainable for the long term.

If you want to know everything there is to know about ketosis as it applies to diet you should read Lyle McDonald's book on the subject which is well footnoted and referenced with actual science. Having said that - I personally wouldn't bother because Lyle himself would tell you simply that ketosis is not something worth worrying about. It doesn't affect fat loss and there is no reliable way for you at home to determine what level (if any) of ketosis you're in.
Thank you. Similar to the Dukan diet. Same type of "fast."
I appreciate the information.
Watkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0vingon View Post
I use exclusively Protidiet/Protithin packets and supplements from other stores. I don't think using alternatives will cause a problem if you stick to the protocol.
Do you use the puddings and/or drinks from Protidiet/Proithin? I am concerned because some of them have fructose in them. The drinks/shakes/puddings from IP do not have fructose in them. Guess I'm being kind of a sweetner snob -- because I truly don't believe that sulcrose is all that good for you either. I definitely want to stay away from asparteme -- I am spelling really badly right now, but I'm on my way out the door to work and don't have too much time to double check spelling.

Oh! I had the cream of chicken soup yesterday from Protidiet (I think) -- it was yummy! I won't add as much H2o next time. I actually went down on the scale over night. I think I must have surprised my body with something different -- which is usually what happens when I introduce new things to my body -- it acts positive until it catches onto what I've done. Sounds weird (and a little paranoid), but that is just the way things are.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Loser View Post
Do you use the puddings and/or drinks from Protidiet/Proithin? I am concerned because some of them have fructose in them. The drinks/shakes/puddings from IP do not have fructose in them. Guess I'm being kind of a sweetner snob -- because I truly don't believe that sulcrose is all that good for you either. I definitely want to stay away from asparteme -- I am spelling really badly right now, but I'm on my way out the door to work and don't have too much time to double check spelling.

Oh! I had the cream of chicken soup yesterday from Protidiet (I think) -- it was yummy! I won't add as much H2o next time. I actually went down on the scale over night. I think I must have surprised my body with something different -- which is usually what happens when I introduce new things to my body -- it acts positive until it catches onto what I've done. Sounds weird (and a little paranoid), but that is just the way things are.
I use the protidiet chocolate pudding regularly. If it's working against me, I haven't noticed. On days that I don't have a restricted, I have the pudding as my go to treat. Most days I have omlette for breakfast, shake (from costco) for lunch, and either a pudding or a soy puff snack. I'm averaging 3 lbs a week loss, so I assume the products are ok.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 159/150/129

Height: 5'2

Find a Supplement or Body Building place.
A RTD shake with low carbs, high protein made with surcalose is a good bet.

Another couple of options I have used in a pinch from drug stores or Wal Mart is Atkins Advantage, Pure Proand Pure Protein's Vanilla Cream shake. You want to try and stay under 160 calories, and under 6 grams of carbs if you can.
The protidiet bars I have seen in stores watch the carb content, some of them are pretty high.
Thefireresides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #15  
Started IP 2/15/11

S/C/G: 328/265/180

Height: 5' 9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauley View Post
I've been using the EAS shakes, but what about Muscle Milk lite shakes? They have 6 grams of carbs. Is that too much? I can't always get to Top Foods for the EAS and I don't want to pay the $5 per shake to get the IP product.

You might want to try the Fred Meyer nutrition/ supplement department. And Wal Mart has the EAS shakes, although I prefer the COSTCO house brand chocolate. I am still loosing 2-3 pounds per week. I am on IP in Seattle, but also go to Bonney Lake and Federal Way to visit clients.

PM me if you want internet sources w/ free shipping.
smpnew is offline   Reply With Quote