Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/170/145

Height: 5'7 1/2

Question Alcohol?

Okay, so I want some input from others on this subject. I have read in some of the threads about some who chose to cheat and did drink alcohol, but for the most part it appears when people chose to cheat, they do it with food.

Here is my question:
In the past when we go out or go to a party, I always drink beer. I do not really care for hard alcohol, but usually drink MGD 64 or Bud Select 55. Having said that, I am doing well so far, having remained OP for 2 weeks. I am now into week 3.

We are having a party at our house tomorrow for a friends birthday. I asked my coach about the alcohol thing. Of course, I was told no beer, but if I wanted a drink, it should be good quality Vodka, with Diet tonic or Diet clear soda (Sprite, 7Up or Sierra Mist). No more than 3 beverages and lots of water in between them (Not sure I could consume 3 without being a complete lush)

Anyhow, I would love to have a drink, perhaps I will hate it and say no more but if I don't I would like others opinion of what you think it may do as far as my plan this week. Will it greatly effect my numbers? Will it completely throw me out of ketosis. I have carefully planned the menu to insure the food there will have something for me, so food will truly not be an issue....

Thoughts?
sunshine1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #2  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Ah how I know how you feel. the thing is, the moment you drink alcohol, your liver has to just STOP everything it's doing to handle processing the alcohol. Since the liver is what 'burns' the fat, the entire time it takes to clear the alcohol, metabolize it, you will not be fat burning. so, it sets you back.

It is true that some things like vodka and wine will not kick you out of ketosis, depending on volume I think...but often drinking leads to a slack outlook on dieting rules and it's easy to slip with food.

No matter, it's going to set you back. Rather find some way to have a drink that's on plan, special, and enjoy watching your freinds do absurd things as they get tipsy! You can have a great seat at a good show sometimes.

And, it's not forever. Just while you are on the first three phases.
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #3  
OP 6/5/11

S/C/G: 252/197/195

Height: 6'3"

I have two words for you.... Club Soda...well more than two words - with a serious twist of lime and topped with course sea salt - It's kind of like a margarita; kind of, if you use your imagination. That is how I survived the 4th of July festivities around our house.

I suspect the worse part about having a drink or two or three is that it would sure be easy to then slip into having some chips and salsa or some other goodie that you've been successfully avoiding.

But, each to their own. Good luck with your decision.
kellyg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/170/145

Height: 5'7 1/2

Thanks for the insight! Purchased the good quality Vodka, but really don't want to get off plan or have a set back to slow down what progress I have made.... thinking club soda may be a better option and will probably feel better about my decision in the AM.
Thanks again!
sunshine1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #5  
OP 6/5/11

S/C/G: 252/197/195

Height: 6'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1986 View Post
thinking club soda may be a better option and will probably feel better about my decision in the AM.
Ha! you will definitely feel better in the AM - I know I did.
kellyg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #6  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Try one of these, I made the Mojoto tonight and it was yummy! No one would know the difference but you! My best friend is a bartender and when I go hang out with her I either have my water with lemon or I'll get her to make me one of these:

Mojito Cocktail:
1 cup of Perrier
1 cup of Tap water
Sprinkle splenda to taste
3-4 leafs of fresh mint
1 splash of Mint Extract
3 splash of Rhum Extract
Lemon juice

Mix all this together with ice. This really taste like a mojito!

2 splash of banana extract
1 splash of coconut extract
1 splash of rhum extract
2-3 lemon slice
1 cup Perrier
1 cup tap water (well you can only put Perrier if you want)

Mix all this together with crushed ice, add splenda if you want, and it taste like Bahamas!!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 512/471/300

Height: 5'11"

Hi,

I went camping last week end and everyone was drinking. I just drank straight rye\whiskey with ice. I didn't drink too much but the whole camping trip didn't help with weight loss. I lost less then 1 pound that week. Others did a lot of the cooking and didn't prepare the food well. The hardest part with drinking is avoiding the chips and etc.
crash302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

I cheated with alcohol...with one alive cooler (80 calories 0 carbs 0 sugar) one night and vvodka with club soda and a wedge of lime the next night. I stalled but be wise it was a conscious decision to drink those dry ms I was willing to accept the consequences. I only lost .2 but I also don't have any future plans to cheat
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #9  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

When I was on vacation last month, I swapped between Phase 1 and Phase 2 days. I had 1/2 glass of wine on 3 evenings... when I did that, I only had half of my evening snack. On the days that I had been quite active (think 3-yr old, newly potty trained, walking from the beach to the potty about 10-15 times each day), I went ahead and had my whole evening snack.

I still lost 2lbs that week...

Recently, I had a party to celebrate the 10th anniversary of my dissertation defense. I had 1/2 glass NICE champagne.

Note: I have been on the program for more than 4 months. I did not stray even ONCE until I had done the program for a solid 3 1/2 months.

My suggestion would be to NOT drink beer. It has more carbs than wine/champagne, and some people think that the maltose in beer makes it more glycemic than other carbs.

Since you have only been on the program for 3 weeks, I would suggest sticking with the protocol 100%. Mix up an IP drink and have that with crushed ice... OR...

Try a faux-ito (fake mojito) instead... Here is the recipe.

1 packet stevia
1/2 tsp rum extract
6 mint leaves
12 oz club soda
Juice of one lime
Ice

Mix 1 packet stevia, 1/2 tsp rum extract, and 6 mint leaves with the base of a spoon in a large glass. Add ice, then club soda. Sweetener may need to be adjusted to taste.
Pxlkitty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/182/150

Height: 5'7"

I am a beer gal too. I went more than 3 months with no alcohol at all when I started IP. Pre-IP I could really put them away when I wanted to. I rarely ever drank the hard stuff before IP.

Keep in mind, that on such a low calorie diet, your tolerance for alcohol is very low. I drank some vodka one night, I felt very sick later that night, and the whole next day.

If you can avoid the alcohol, it is worth it. But if you feel you must have it, don't have too much. Hangovers suck.
brandam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

2 WEEKS IN and you want to CHEAT? This is not looking good! Skip the alcohol and drink Propel, that's what I did all last weekend at the lake and I will this weekend, don't care that others are having alcohol. If you were further intot the program, Maybe? but 2 weeks, NO
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #12  
LGW
#justfortoday

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'

do a google search for low-carb alcoholic drinks...my new favorite is rum and diet coke....it's one that when you go out you don't have to remember a lot of ingredients
LGW
LGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #13  

Height: 5'4"

I've had to say no plenty of times and I'm only on week 4. My husband plays in a band and while the others are drinking I order water with ice and added mio. Nobody knows I'm not drinking and I feel wonderful the next day. I did hear you can add vodka to the shakes and I know a few people who like it with the pink lemonade but I'm not going to chance it. It may help that I'm not much of a drinker and a 6 pack of anything can last me months at a time. It's just like anything else though and a cheat is a cheat.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #14  
started 2/22/11

S/C/G: 233/184/165

Height: 5' 7.5"

Had sugar free jello shots yesterday.....BAD GIRL!!!! BUT.....it could have been worse! What I really wanted was a White Russian.....but I know from a previous "cheat"....they will do me in!! Scale is down 1/2 lb this morning from yesterday.....but we'll see what tomorrow brings!! LOL!!! If nothing else, a cheat teaches you to "get back on that horse". And when we're in maintenance and we have that "one cheat day", then we will be going right back on plan to be sure our weight doesn't go upwards. Now I ask you, on what other diet do you LEARN from your cheats??? This is a first for me!! LOL!!

I have been strong for most of this journey, but wow the summer is tough....beautiful nights, fire pits, etc. I just keep telling myself STAY STRONG!! THIS BODY FEELS SOOOOO GOOD!!! So if I want to be down more weight by Monday's WI, then I had better stick with it!!

Best wishes to you all!!!
disgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #15  
Started IP: 5/14/11

This has been my hardest aspect of IP.... I have only drank once in the past 2-3 months, and it was 2 frosty barley pops. My only cheat I have done on this diet
Dan is Boring is offline   Reply With Quote