General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

View Poll Results: What do you think?
inspiration, just keep your head up 6 50.00%
20 pounds is alot 2 16.67%
you failed... need to go back to that school 0 0%
20 pounds is relatively small, don't give up 8 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 360/224/145

Height: 5'7''

Arrow PLEASE REPLY, NEED SUPPORT. lost motivation. after losing more than half the weight

i've come so far in my journey of weight loss. i'm only 17. been over weight my entire childhood. and have gone from 360 pounds to 204. i weighed 204 in febuary of 2011, and have since gained 20 pounds. today i weigh 224. i find myself lying to family and friends about the failure of my weight gain, telling people it's hard losing, and i just have maintained. but in reality, i am in a deep struggle to not just lose the weight, but keep it off!

i had actually went to a boarding school to lose the weight. some of you might have seen "too fatt for 15"? i was at a school like that....
i was one of the best and motivated students, a role model.
even did interviews with tv news channels in central california.

anyways. i began at the school at 360 in march/2010, left the school and moved back home to my normal life at 204 in febuary/2011.
and since moving back, weigh 224 this july/2011.
is 20 pounds in 5 months alot of weight to gain?

i feel like a huge failure.
dallasgirl93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

You're not a failure. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Does putting on weight mean that you have failed? Absolutely not. Giving up entirely is the only way to fail.

You have come SO far. Losing 140 pounds is quite phenomenal. The struggle is that maintaining the weight is very similar to losing the weight. What have you changed since coming home? What can you change to return to the healthier normal that helped you lose the weight?

Are you still keeping track of your food? Do you have added activity into your days?

You 100% can keep the weight off and take off the 20 you've gained. You've caught it now. You recognize that it's difficult.

So. What are you plans for taking off the extra and maintaining? =) Share with us.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #3  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

You are not a failure, you have made so much success!!! It's good that you're realizing that you've gone off track because now you have the chance to really do something about it, if that's what you want!!

It sounds like you got a LOT of positive feedback and attention for losing weight, do you think that motivated you to push harder? If it's an option maybe you'd benefit from a personal trainer or some kind of supportive exercise group where you get the same positive reinforcement!

The nice thing is that because you are so young, this is the absolute best time to lose weight. I'm only 10 years older than you, and girl I am telling you, this is your time to shine!!! Enjoy being a "kid" and all that comes with it, and while you can exercise and focus on your goals, I'm sure you'll meet them. Stick around here and you'll get some support but I think it would really help to be honest with your family and tell them "hey guys, I'm falling off the wagon and I need help. Remember how supportive you were before? I need that kind of cheerleading again because it really helped motivate me to do my best!" I bet you'll get very positive responses!!
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #4  
Pretty much a total champ

S/C/G: somewhere near 215/175/145

Height: 5'5"

Don't get discouraged! You've come so far and had truly amazing progress--and regardless of the hiccup you've been extremely successful. You have nothing to be ashamed of.
I have complete faith that you can get back on the wagon and keep going! Since you've already succeeded once in going down from 360 to 204, then getting rid of those 20 pounds (or to whatever your goal weight is) should be a piece of cake! Hang in there, and be proud of how far you've come already
nomadiclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:14 AM   #5  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

You have come SO far! Twenty pounds really isn't that much, relative to what you've lost. You're going to have a great, healthy body - just keep working at it.

Do you think you might have gained because of the change in structure that came from moving back home? I don't know what your school was like, but I'm sure your food intake was monitored constantly, whereas the same is probably not true at home. Maybe your family has bad eating habits that are easy to sink into while you're living with them.

All of that considered, it's nothing to be ashamed of. You have to learn what will work for you at home, and that learning process is an understandable set back. But if you had the determination to come this far, you can surely go farther still!
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 AM   #6  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

You know what? Failure is temporary, quiting is forever.

You're already taking a step in the right direction just by posting here. Get back on track by eating healthy and excercising. Feel free to post here if you need more advice! Good luck
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #7  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodymist View Post
You know what? Failure is temporary, quiting is forever.

You're already taking a step in the right direction just by posting here. Get back on track by eating healthy and excercising. Feel free to post here if you need more advice! Good luck
So true! And the support is definitely here.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #8  

It wasn't one of the poll choices, but I would like to have seen an option for "20 lbs. is a lot, but you CAN reverse the trend." I guarantee you if you ask nearly any person on this forum what the biggest mistake they've made that led them to regain lost weight they would say that they allowed small setbacks to derail their success entirely. It has happened to me more times than I can count. I will have lost the weight, and then, I'll start regaining. Then, because of that discouragement, I'll start consoling myself with food and tell myself, "I'll just eat this for now, and I'll start fresh tomorrow." Only "tomorrow" never comes. Instead, I keep gaining.

STOP! You're so young, and you have the opportunity now to learn something I wish I had learned years ago: The only way to fail is to give up. DON'T GIVE UP! Who cares that you gained some weight! Move forward; don't focus on the past. Learn from it if you can, but don't get mired down in it.

It may help you to set some other kind of goals. Undoubtedly all that attention and focus while you were losing put you on a high, and when you came back home, that high was quickly deflated. Now, it's time to try a new approach. For example, you might set a fitness goal. Join a gym if you have to. Get into strength training. Just do something different and set new goals. That will help take the focus off of food and feelings of failure (although you are not a failure by any means).

Last edited by lin43; 07-14-2011 at 11:11 AM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #9  

You know, sometimes making 1 good choice to eat grilled chicken instead of a Whopper is all you can do. But if you make a few more good choices and then keep doing what you can it will get better and you can get back on track.

Doing what you can, instead of expecting perfection and quitting because it is impossible to be perfect, is all you can do. You've been successful in the past, you know what to do, and you can do it. Just give yourself a break, don't talk about your weight with anyone except your doctors, and make good choices more often that bad choices.

Keep your expectations high but your goals reasonable!

Good luck.
Alitig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #10  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

they call it a weightloss journey for a reason. it's hard. just like a journey, you have to find your way, and that may include setbacks. we all have them. we all have times when we think, "why do i even bother" "even though i'm not at a healthy goal, this weight is ok". we've all been there. i'm there now, too.

don't worry if 20 lbs is a lot of weight to gain. it's already there now. what you need to do is focus on how to get rid of it. you're not a failure you're still here, and part of you still wants to try. my dad used to always say "you may have lost the battle but you didn't lose the war" and it drove me crazy, but it's so true. yes, 20 lbs is a setback, but it isn't anything you can't overcome. the proof of that is that you've lost 156 lbs. that's incredible. 20 lbs is nothing compared to that.

keep working at it, and we'll all win this war together
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote