Old 07-14-2011, 02:10 AM   #1  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Height: 5'5"

Default In defense of fat people wearing tight exercise clothes

I've heard so many people comment on fat people wearing tight (or even form-fitting) clothes. Not here, of course, but I've heard and read some pretty vicious things. And here is my response.

Look - I know my exercise shorts are tight. I know I don't look like the 105-pound woman you ogle when she runs down the street. But hey - if I wear looser pants, I chafe. And then, it becomes torturous for me to exercise. I wear a baggy shirt to lessen the "unsightliness." But I know that for me to reach goal weight, I have to protect my ability to exercise. And that means shorts that prevent chafing. And that means they are tight.

So avert your eyes if you need to. I know I would feel better if I didn't feel like I was under a microscope at the gym. But I have to live 24 hours a day in this body. I have to endure the stereotypes and occasional rudeness that accompany my weight. I have 6,000 times more at stake here than you do. Go about your day. Tell your friends about the fat woman at the gym. Even blog about it if you have to. But please know that there is a very important reason that I do it.

**End of rant
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:48 AM   #2  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

Hear hear!
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

6,000 times more at stake? More like an INFINITE amount more than some random, strange passerby who has absolutely nothing at stake.

Wear a flesh-toned, skintight leotard for all that it matters! You're out there and exercising! Be PROUD!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #4  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

**** yes!!! Totally agree and I'd say that to anyones face too. I actually just got a couple fitted tops for running and probably should have bought XL but the L stays in place better. I do feel like I look like a shrink-wrapped sausage until I get running. And then being able to exercise without tugging at my clothes, without chafing and without being soaking wet by the end and it's sooooo worth it!!
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #5  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

AMEN Sista!! Preach it!!!

Finally!! Someone steps up to the plate to say what we all have been thinking...!!! Good on ya!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #6  
Like the Car. Or Not.

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

If your at the gym that is the point! Your there making the hard decisions and doing the right thing one step at a time. It's no one elses right to tell you how to do it, or what to wear when you do! Keep up the good work.
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

It's a lot easier to see if your form is correct when you wear tight clothes.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #8  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Good for you! Honestly, people are so stupid. If you're getting out there and exercising, that means you're doing something better for yourself. And no one should knock that!

I hate having loose clothing flapping around me at any time, to be honest.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #9  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkaleidoscopic View Post
If you're getting out there and exercising, that means you're doing something better for yourself.
Exactly! Honestly, I think the most inspiring thing I've ever seen was a rather "fluffy" islander-looking dude running down the street faster than I could probably move with a gallon of water in one hand and a huge smile on his face. I think of this guy every time I need a little motivation. If anything, I think people should be cheering each other on instead of judging you for trying to make better life choices. Shame on the general populace. SHAME!
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

I have no problem with spandex at the gym but if you feel uncomfortable because of the judgement may I suggest wearing spandex under a pair of shorts. One of my friends does it to avoid chafing.
Sunshine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

People are so rude. Quick non-weight story. In 2004 we rescued a baby Shar-pei, who was born with a cancerous tumor and had severe allergies (took he to Cornell Veternary) She was adorable, had the tumor removed, got her on $300/month for life medicine, plus other prescriptions. Well, she was comfortable and happy. One day my daughter and I were getting ice-cream and a little girl said to her mom "why is that dog scratching?" and the mother said "because they don't take care of it!" My daughter started crying, we actually had just come from the Vets, since she needed her cortisone shot. We spent $7000.00 saving this dogs life and that ignorant woman shoots her mouth off like that. I told my Vet and he wondered if I knew her name, he was going to tell her a thing or two. So, the point is people talk out their arses half the time. Just try to ignore them. Sorry for the rant.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Wear a flesh-toned, skintight leotard for all that it matters! You're out there and exercising! Be PROUD!
This. Well put!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I'm really sorry that this sort of judgement even exists. I assume you mean people are being judged within the walls of the gym - not quite the same thing as wearing spandex at the mall or grocery store. And It makes me even more grateful that I belong to an all women's gym where I have never heard anything but words of encouragement to every member - by the owner, by the staff, by other members.

I agree with a few points that have already been stated.

*Clothes that fit your body make it SO much easier to see if you are positioned correctly for an exercise.
*If you are always adjusting your clothes it's almost impossible to get through a workout comfortably.
*We DO have a lot more at stake than someone who is simply looking to tone up their "beach body."
*Wear the shorts over the spandex if it makes you feel more comfortable. It may hide some of the extra jiggles we have.

Mostly I'm simply appalled at the idea that we are judged even at the gym where we are working to get healthy. I realize more and more why I absolutely LOVE my gym. I've made friends, have given and received encouragement, and have been having a ball. I appreciate the fact that they will work with you to modify any class or exercise to suit your physical ability, whether you limitation is because you weigh 275 pounds and aren't very flexible - yet - or because you are 130 pounds but have a problem knee or shoulder (or whatever) that limits what you can do.

I think I better go to the "attitude of gratitude" thread and make a post in there! I hope everyone keeps on doing whatever it takes to get and stay healthy. We know we are doing the best we can for ourselves and that's all that matters. I hope everyone has a great day.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #14  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Definitely! I CANNOT STAND people who judge overweight people at the gym. IF anything the gym should be for overweight people because those are the ones who need it the most. I hate, hate, hate hearing about women who are scared of going to the gym because people will judge them for how they look (note: I'm not hating the women who say this but the people who judge and our society at large).

Just like on the swimming suit thread. Men/women should be ENCOURAGED to do physical activity (especially at higher weights) and should not be made to feel self conscious about their looks while doing.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

Keep in mind though that the people that are judging you or any of us when we are exercising at the gym or outdoors are doing it because they have self esteem issues with themselves. There is some small or large part of them that is unhappy with their figure and it makes them feel better to look at you and make judgements. Its always easier to project judgment on others than to look within and judge.

I live in a very small town where everyone knows everyone and I must admit that I bought a treadmill and a weight set for this very reason. Well not completely since I knew that I would be more apt to do it if I didn't have to go anywhere but mostly because the idea of my body parts flailing through a workout in front of god an everyone that I knew sounded unbearable.

WEAR WHAT MAKES YOU COMFORTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote