Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #1  
Cool Chick

S/C/G: 283/227.2/180

Height: 5' 10"

Default Don't Ya Love Old Navy Sizing :P

I wear about a 16 right now. I went to Old Navy today to get some jeans and a skirt. The size 16 jeans were a little tight in the waist and the size 12 skirt was a little tight in the waist. Oh yes, that is NOT a misprint. How in the world can a 16 and a 12 fit the same?!?!
Does anyone else have a crazy sizing story to share?
heathermichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6

Slightly different story but nevertheless I'll share, lol. Brooks Brothers sizing is a little wonky too. According to them, I'm a size zero which couldn't be further from the truth. I'm normally a 2/4 - depending on the manufacturer. I tried on a pencil skirt a few months ago and the 4 fell off me so I grabbed a 2. That was swimming on me. My hubby was even perplexed. When I put the zero on, it fit. I went to Ann Taylor and the zero wouldn't even make it past my mid-thigh so I knew it was Brooks Brothers and obviously not my true size.

I find the opposite with Old Navy. They, for me, fit true to size. And they are one of the only stores that carry a lot of smaller sizes so I'm never like searching the racks for an hour, lol.

I love the store Kohl's. Maybe you'll have better luck there.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #3  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

I always wear a size smaller in dresses and skirts than I do in jeans. It's not an issue of vanity/store sizing for me though. It's just harder for me to squeeze my blubbery gut into the jeans lol. Dresses and skirts are more forgiving, and my waist is smaller proportionately - I've got a big c-section poochy part on my lower belly still
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i usually wear a size 8/10 in yoga pants or stretchy jeans, anything with just a little give in the fabric....i bought a pair of Just My Size capri pants a few weeks ago size 8/10...they are WAY too big for me lol...i didnt try them on at the store, just grabbed them and went...got home and realized that they are way too baggy for me, i have to roll the waist down to make it fit better so i can tuck the extra fabric under the waistband
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
i usually wear a size 8/10 in yoga pants or stretchy jeans, anything with just a little give in the fabric....i bought a pair of Just My Size capri pants a few weeks ago size 8/10...they are WAY too big for me lol...i didnt try them on at the store, just grabbed them and went...got home and realized that they are way too baggy for me, i have to roll the waist down to make it fit better so i can tuck the extra fabric under the waistband
I'm trying to figure out HOW when you weigh 12 pounds more than me, are an inch of a half shorter than me but wear several sizes smaller than me (I'm a loose 14/very tight 12 right now). I'm pretty evenly spread for where my weight is. What's your shape and your measurements? Totally got me curious!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #6  
Melissa

I have a Royal Robbins skort and a skirt. The skort is a size 14 and it's probably the smallest fitting 14 I have. it's just NOW fitting perfectly when other 14s are getting loose. yet, the same brand, same season, same collection of clothes has a skirt with a very similar cut (just a bit longer and no attached under short) and I can pull the 14s off without undoing them. They are probably the largest size 14 I have. They are made out of the same material and everything (just different colors). When I hold them up to each other, the one 14 is clearly significantly smaller than the other 14. SO weird when the same company can't get the sizing right!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #7  
Results>Reasons

S/C/G: 196/190/150

Height: 5'9"

Coincidentally, when I wore size 16, I went to Old Navy and I liked the fit of their jeans...for the first hour. After that they got really loose and stretched out very fast. They also didn't last very long either. I still have a pair that has a rip on each side in the back (perfect for cutting them completely into shorts, but I can't bring myself to do it. They're my fav pair of jeans!

Once I got to a 13/14, I bought jeans at Maurices and found that I probably should buy a smaller jean, because again, those jeans are really loose, as well.

Aside from jeans, a client told me they have great bras at Lane Bryant, so I went there and they said I was a 36DDD!

Victoria Secret sized me up at 36D...wtf!?
AriesNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I'm trying to figure out HOW when you weigh 12 pounds more than me, are an inch of a half shorter than me but wear several sizes smaller than me (I'm a loose 14/very tight 12 right now). I'm pretty evenly spread for where my weight is. What's your shape and your measurements? Totally got me curious!
Isn't that weird? I'm 8 inches shorter and about 5 pounds lighter than the OP, and I'm in the same size as the OP (16).
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #9  
Melissa

I can't stand Old Navy clothing. Yes, they are cheap, but that's precisely what they are - cheap. Same with target. i bought a couple t-shirts there and after one washing they look like crap - lose their shape and everything - not worth the $12 I paid for each.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #10  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Height: 5'6"

I so agree about old navy items, disposable clothing. As far as Alaskanlaughter being above 200, but in a 9/10, I just figured she hadn't updated her ticker in a while. Yes, we are all different, sizes can fit differently, but not that much.
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/245/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
Isn't that weird? I'm 8 inches shorter and about 5 pounds lighter than the OP, and I'm in the same size as the OP (16).
It is funny how similar yet different people are. I'm 5'8" and 245 and in 24's but a friend of mine is 5'6" and 215 and in 14's. I don't even understand that!
klm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #12  
Bells For Her

S/C/G: 156/112/105

Height: 5'1 and a half!

I also have a bra size related story. I was measuring my bra size today to see if I had shrunk. I did this a few weeks ago used an online calculator which told me I was a 32 D (which is pretty accurate based on what fits me when I'm shopping.) Today I used the same calculator and it told me I was a 36B. Now, unfortunately I know I am not a B cup because I have large breasts-always have and probably always will (although I'd love for them to be smaller.)

So I decided there must be something with the calculator so I used another one which told me I was a 48 AA!!! I'm 100% sure that I put all of my information in correctly. Next time I go underwear shopping, I'm going to be brave and be professionally measured.

Last edited by belmagick; 07-13-2011 at 08:48 PM.
belmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #13  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnadoitthistime View Post
I so agree about old navy items, disposable clothing. As far as Alaskanlaughter being above 200, but in a 9/10, I just figured she hadn't updated her ticker in a while. Yes, we are all different, sizes can fit differently, but not that much.
No, I know alaskanlaughter from another thread and that is an accurate/current weight.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/245/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmagick View Post
I also have a bra size related story. I was measuring my bra size today to see if I had shrunk. I did this a few weeks ago used an online calculator which told me I was a 32 D (which is pretty accurate based on what fits me when I'm shopping.) Today I used the same calculator and it told me I was a 36B. Now, unfortunately I know I am not a B cup because I have large breasts-always have and probably always will (although I'd love for them to be smaller.)

So I decided there must be something with the calculator so I used another one which told me I was a 48 AA!!! I'm 100% sure that I put all of my information in correctly. Next time I go underwear shopping, I'm going to be brave and be professionally measured.

I comfortably wear a 40DDD from Lane Bryant, but have had calculators tell my everything from 36DD to 50C......I just try on what "looks" right.
klm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Welcome to my world. When I first started here at 3FC, I started a thread asking what size people were. I was invariable in a bigger size than people at my height and weight. Sooooo frustrating.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote