Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 135/128/107

Height: 5ft 2

Default Weigh-in on ideal weight

Okay as my stats say I'm 5ft 2 at the moment and 129. That puts me in the healthy weight range. HOWEVER I have a very very petite frame. I want to get down to 103. I recently found out that would actually be very very slightly underweight. Would this apply to someone who has a tiny frame? I've been debating this with a few of my friends and it's been inconclusive.

So what's your "ideal weight"? And how did you choose this? Or are you going not off the scale but on body fat composition or are you simply trying to become healthier and not focus on the scale?
Sunnydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/*ticker*/123

Height: 5'2"

I am 5'2 as well and I think for our height it says 130-135 is ok but my goal is 120. I am honestly not sure what 103 would be like on a 5'2 frame as it seems awfully small to me BUUUUT I am larger and even when I was a normal weight I have large breast, wide hips all that, so I am assuming I have a larger frame. I also am striving that when I get to a healthier weight that I will weight lift and practice light muscle building so we will see how that works and ultimately I just want to be healthy again. Also, if you want to go off of BMI which some people love and others hate, for 5'2 a "normal BMI" range is 102-136 so you would be be normal at 102, just lower.

Have you talked to your dr about it?
AshleighAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

It's a very individual thing. The BMI-based categories were designed to cover every single person in the world, and while they do a nice job at helping you look at large populations, they don't really tell you what YOU should weigh. Many athletes are "overweight" and some are even "obese" because they have so much muscle. And some naturally skinny people can't get out of "underweight" even if they try.

Paleo guru Robb Wolf always says that you can tell whether something is working for you based on how you "look, feel, and perform." So if you think you'd look/feel/perform better at 103, go for it! You can always (healthily!) gain some weight back if it turns out you were wrong.

My goal-weight-choosing story: I'm the same height as you, 5'2", and I've got a smallish frame. The first time I lost weight I picked my goal weight kinda randomly, because I've been overweight since I was a kid. I picked 120, and when I got down there, I wasn't happy yet. But then I regained almost all of what I lost.

This time around I've got A LOT more muscle than I did back then, and my goal is to build even more of it (check out Zuzana on http://bodyrock.tv, I would loooove to look like her). Based on the previous weight loss attempt, my estimate is that I could get very lean at 115 lb. But I don't really know for sure, so I'll just be flexible, and stop when my body looks how I want it to look.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #4  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

My "ideal weight" is about 128-132. So ... 130

HOWEVER, I can still be very healthy as low as 120. Anything below that, IMPO, I would be way too thin. My "stats", as per the weight calculators I've used on the internet, give me a 114-140 lb healthy weight. I'm 5'3 1/2" and have a small to medium frame. I am using 140 as my goal weight, mainly because 6 years ago I was down to 138 (135 was my goal) and I looked/felt fantastic.

My main goal is to be HEALTHY.
2nd goal: to feel good in my clothes,
and 3rdly, to look good.

However, I could be happy at 145. But I would LOVE-LOVE-LOVE to be 130. Once I reach 140, I may (or may not... haven't decided yet!) opt to continue to try for 135. Or maybe even 130. It will most likely depend on how I feel at 140, and how I look.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

I think all guidelines can be taken with a grain of salt. I think the healthy BMI range for our height is 101-136, so by that measure you'd be fine. But what if it said 104? Would those three lbs really throw you over the edge into malnutrition? I don't see how.

That said, where did the 103 number come from? How do you know it will be the right weight for you? Since you're still 20+ pounds away from that goal, why not just work toward it, keeping in mind that you may, at some point along the line, decide that you're already there?
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 135/128/107

Height: 5ft 2

AshleighAO- Thanks for responding! And thanks for the range... no unfortunately I don't really have a doctor right now. I don't have the money to go for questions and checkups. Only if I'm truly ill will I be able to go. DX So unfortunately it doesn't seem to be an option at the moment....

Mayness- I think maybe being flexible like you would be a better idea. Like see what I'm happy with when I get there.

Beach Patrol- Aiming for a range seems like a good idea! Thanks :-) Hehehe I think I'm going to borrow your goals as a guideline.

zoodoo613- "I think all guidelines can be taken with a grain of salt. I think the healthy BMI range for our height is 101-136, so by that measure you'd be fine. But what if it said 104? Would those three lbs really throw you over the edge into malnutrition? I don't see how." I guess your right. It's a minute difference and the guidelines won't always work with all people.

"That said, where did the 103 number come from? How do you know it will be the right weight for you?"

Okay some 3-4 yrs ago I was 108lbs. I was relatively happy. I felt pretty good but I felt that I needed to lose 5lbs. Nothing major. But a few things happened and everything got kinda thrown to the side. I've definitively changed- both physically and mentally so I'm not sure if that's what I should be aiming for. Hmm... I think I'm going to go with everybody's advice and just kinda start going for a number and see how I look and feel when I get there and re-evaluate my goals and such.

Thanks everyone! (> ^.^)>
Sunnydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/194/130

Height: 5'2

I'm 5'2 and have been all kinds of weights, lol. My goal is 125 b/c that's the highest weight I felt content with being in the past. When I get to that goal I will probably lower it. I have a smallish frame and I felt I looked the best at 110-115. The lowest I've been was 107 and didn't feel "too skinny", so 103 for you would probably be fine if you're tiny. It's so individual though. Get to 115 or 110 and see how you feel there! Don't get too caught up in the 'guidelines'.
RJ 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #8  
Losing 20! :)

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5ft 5in

Hmmm....Im 5 ft 4 and I like being 130. After that Im too small for my comfort. Im 26 now and I dont want to look like a teenager. Im already short. I chose my ideal weight based on how Im able to be while Im 130. But I would love to be 125 and muscle. Im 140 now and look 130. But I want to be 125-130 because of how my abs look.
kiahna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #9  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I'm pretty much in line with RJ. I am 5'1" (possibly 5'2") and my goal is 124. That is my high school graduation weight and I think 8 more pounds off of what I have going on now will be ideal. I'd actually be happy at 129 but I would really like to have a 5 pound buffer. But really, I want to be in a comfortable size 6 so whatever weight will keep me there I'd be happy with. A couple months ago I spent a ton of money on size 8's and I am currently saving for my size 6 wardrobe. I just can't afford 4's. Maybe next year!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #10  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

I think I would look AMAZING at 130, but I'm about four inches taller than you. I agree with the general consensus though, that you should just take it as you go. Focusing on a potentially bogus or even unachievable/unenjoyable number might cause disappointment as you're nearing maintenance, like a feeling of not having measured up to your own expectations. You should find where you feel comfortable, at this time in your life, and I'm sure you're the only one who really knows where that is. 103 is tiny though, so I think giving yourself some elbow room to decide what's best for you now is ideal. Good luck!
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 136/123/110

I have a very small frame. I remember from my skinny days what looks good on me and what doesn't.

92 lbs - way too skinny - yucko
102 lbs - I look a little gaunt in my driver's license picture and I remember my legs being sticks.
110 - Pretty much perfect if I didn't have the slight pooch at the time - Granted this was in my early 20's and I ate whatever I want at the time.
Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 136/123/110

I should have added the reason I set my goal at 115. I was happy with the way I looked at 110 lbs but I want to have better muscle tone than I had then. I've also had three kids since then and have more hips.

Here's a pic of me at 5'2 and 110 lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collegedays.jpg (14.0 KB, 66 views)
Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #13  
Losing 20! :)

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5ft 5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
I should have added the reason I set my goal at 115. I was happy with the way I looked at 110 lbs but I want to have better muscle tone than I had then. I've also had three kids since then and have more hips.

Here's a pic of me at 5'2 and 110 lbs.
Thats makes much more sense lol. If you like 115 then get there. Im a 00 at 115. I look terrible I cant stand being that skinny. I look awful. My head looks very large as well lol.
kiahna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #14  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I have no numerical goal. I have no idea what I'll look like at 170, 165, 160 - weights I haven't been at since I was a teenager 20 years ago. I'll have to decide when I get there. I figure I'll know when to stop losing weight because either I'll be happy with the way I look, or going lower will be more work than I am able or willing to do.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:25 AM   #15  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

I was overweight until I was about seventeen, and I'm twenty now. I am technically clinically healthy, so basically, right now, I'm just polishing myself up. I was 135 at one point, and I remember that although I felt amazing, I wanted to lose another five pounds or so. I put my goal weight at 125 after consulting BMI scales. I know it's not a tell-all, but I'm in your shoes - no room to go to a doctor for something like this. And I figure, as long as I stay in the general range of healthy, that's awesome. And I have in mind that I can always stop if I feel like it's enough, as my body has certainly changed even over the last year. (My boobs grew a lot, so even 135 may look a lot different now than it did then!)

I think 103 could be a great weight for you. I'm small-framed too (yes, I'm tall, but like, thin structure), so I know what you mean about carrying weight differently than others. And as others said - aim for that, but stop if you feel good.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote