General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Default Living on my own, eek!

I'm living on my own for the first time ever. My roommate doesn't seem to clean much so I picked up cleaning supplies in an attempt to make myself feel more comfortable by cleaning the kitchen because it feels really dirty. I washed all of the dishes yesterday and that helped a little bit. Does anyone have any tips on making my apartment feel more like home without having to spend too much money? I don't start my new job for at least a week so I need to be careful until my first paycheck.

I have friends and people who care about me here so loneliness isn't the problem, I just start to feel really lonely when I'm at my apartment by myself.

Last edited by Linsy; 07-11-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Hey there, try meetup.com to find people with similar interests as you. Good luck and think of this as an adventure.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #3  
Sarah

S/C/G: 193/184.5/147

Height: 5'7

Awwwww xx

I live alone too, was totally daunted at first and LOVE it now! It just takes getting used to. My advice to you would be to pretty up your room with some nice candles and books and things, no need to spend lots of money. Once it feels personal and homely you will be happy there. Good luck
CardboardCutoutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #4  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

When I first moved into my own place I used to browse yard sales for bargains. I managed to decorate my apartment pretty tastefully that way.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Hang up a few things in your room. Decorate lightly with what you have. It starts to fill the voids in the rooms and makes things "homier". =)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #6  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

A few postcards here and there can spruce up bare walls for super cheap. I think you'll get used to living on your own soon and learn to really love and cherish the alone time. Hang in there and make your housemate share the workload!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:26 AM   #7  

Photographs & postcards I'll be living on my own in a few months (all going well at least) and have already started sorting my fav photographs to make the place more homely
Eruanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Thank you guys for the tips! I think I'm going to have my mom send me some pictures and I'll make a collage on the wall or try to find some cheap picture frames. I brought a few things from home like a really cute picture frame and a few candles so maybe once I get a dresser I can start lighting the candles and it will make it feel homier here.

I'm not sure how to approach the mess situation with my roommate, she's lived in this apartment for 3 years (I think) and the kitchen grosses me out. It just feels dirty. I looked under the sink and could only find cleaning supplies for the shower and dishes, not anything for the sink or counter. I went to Wal-Mart and picked up some all purpose cleaner, glass cleaner, and sponges yesterday. I'm going to clean the kitchen either tonight or tomorrow but I'm worried. I don't want to be the only one cleaning around here.

Last edited by Linsy; 07-12-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsy View Post
I'm not sure how to approach the mess situation with my roommate, she's lived in this apartment for 3 years (I think) and the kitchen grosses me out. It just feels dirty. I looked under the sink and could only find cleaning supplies for the shower and dishes, not anything for the sink or counter. I went to Wal-Mart and picked up some all purpose cleaner, glass cleaner, and sponges yesterday. I'm going to clean the kitchen either tonight or tomorrow but I'm worried. I don't want to be the only one cleaning around here.
It sounds like you're new roommates, so the time to approach this is soon. Like within the week.

"Hey, I ended up at Wal-mart to pick up some cleaning stuff, which reminded me, do you have a couple minutes to quick talk about the cleaning schedule?"

Talk about how you're going to be splitting around the house chores. Obviously you guys can do your own dishes, but one week she gets the kitchen and you get the bathroom... and then the next week it's the reverse or something. Whatever schedule is going to work for you both. That way you get turns cleaning, but the mess is kept to a minimum on a regular basis.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

Living on your own is sooo amazing! I used to get so homesick but then I realized last month when Ithought I was going to move back to my moms that I can't do it! Being on your own gives you such a sense of independence and freedom!
As far as dirty roommates, I can tell you ALLLLLL About them!
I've learned to just clean and make myself comfy and scoot her messiness aside.
Your home will feel more like "home" as you live there longer and get settled! It'll be great!
Good luck!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I would definitely have a cleaning schedule! Print one out where each of you is in charge of one room or a set of rooms (i.e. Roommate 1 does kitchen and dining room, Roommate 2 does bathroom and living room, then the next week switch). Each roommate would then initial the chart when he/she has finished that task for the week. Put it on the refrigerator. It's a great way to keep accountable and for you to be able to kindly nudge her in the right direction if she hasn't cleaned that week, since it was a schedule you both agreed on.

Regarding making your apt homey, yes try yardsales and craigslist. Lots of natural light, or just light in general. Cheap plants liven up a place too. Small, cheap floor rugs will do wonders! For the walls, in addition to pictures and postcards, go to a fabric store and get some cheap fabric to put up on a wall- a tapestry of sorts. The more colors, patterns, and things that are "your own" the happier an apartment will be and likely the less lonely you will be when you're there by yourself
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #12  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

Second hand stores! I don't know if you have Value Village where you are (I think it's the same as Savers?) but I've scored tons of stuff I love from there. I just pop in every now and again and do some hunting... it's not always successful but when you find something you love, it's a great feeling. I've slowly accumulated pictures, jars, tins, etc., and now I've got a really homey room. The new year is a while away, but I usually buy a couple calendars in mid January (way cheap) and put those up.
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote