Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #1  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Default What does it FEEL like to be thin?

I've been wondering this a lot lately.

Even at my lightest (10 years ago, 180 pounds) I don't remember ever having moments where I actually *felt* thin. I don't mean emotionally. I know that's a whole other ball of wax, and that will require a whole uphill battle of its own! What I mean is, what does it feel like, to live in a thin body?

Examples (that I'm sure you can sympathize with):

*I'm participating in a bike ride next weekend that has us riding over the San Diego Bay Bridge. It's a wonderful opportunity and should be lots of fun, but I can't stop thinking about the effort of physically manipulating my body, on a bike, up and over the bridge. The weight of my legs, the pressure of my...rear end...on the saddle, the weight of my torso in my hands. If you are a cyclist, what does it feel like to ride a bike? Light? Easy? Do you FEEL your legs?

*When I roll over in bed, I like to settle my hand on my hip and feel my hip bone. This is the ONLY position where I can actually feel it--about halfway over. Otherwise it's pretty buried! If I press in certain spots I can feel other bones. What does it feel like to be able to easily feel your bones?

I hope this question makes sense. I've been thinking lately that if I actually knew the difference between where I am now and where I could be--the difference in how my body would feel--I might be more motivated to actually get there!
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:02 AM   #2  
Lova Lova

S/C/G: 180/173/150

Height: 5' 10

Let's see...I used to be thin only last year so I know how it feels.
It feels great. I never noticed it until I gained weight, though. When I was thin I didn't notice how I felt running or my bones. Now, though, I notice "wow, I can't feel my bones as easily anymore."
How does it feel to be thin? Awful when you're not anymore :P
qqforweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

You can't stop looking in the mirror

Just kidding.

Actually, I do not feel thin. I did during my first year of maintenance, but now, more than anything else, I feel STRONG. I'm not thin; I'm musclebound. And it's incredible -- when I need it, I have the strength and endurance of two men. I can build and assemble large, heavy things all by myself. I can swim far out into the ocean -- enough to scare people who do not know me or my capabilities --- and swim back, ready to do it all over again. I can ride my bike for a hundred miles. I can pull myself up inside ceiling trap doors with no ladder. I could go on... and on... and on. Basically, I feel like I am powerful and strong. I can take care of myself in most situations and do what I once thought could not be done.

When I was not quite this strong (but around 10 pounds lighter), I just felt sexy. The only type of powerful I felt was the power I had over the opposite sex I felt light. Oddly light, at first, since I had not been that small in the last few years. I felt LIBERATED. Then, the "whoa, I really am not fat anymore!" shock wore off and I just felt hot.

I am not 100% satisfied with my body at the moment (eeh, 70% aesthetically perhaps), as I feel I am trying to find a happy medium between being fit, healthy, and having a life. I'm trying to figure out whether I look "too muscular" or whether I dig my current appearance... most importantly, whether I want to exert the effort it may take to maintain all this muscle, or whether to slack a little and thus be slightly thinner (fatter just isn't an option for me if I can help it ) It's very much a journey for me, even now. I felt my hottest last year and it's my fault I don't feel that way now... I tried competitive bodybuilding, which really screwed with my mind. And honestly... I kind of miss feeling THIN, even though I am in 80 times better shape now.

Basically, self-improvement, for me anyway, doesn't stop at thin. My body image issues have re-surfaced and manifested themselves in different ways. BUT... I'd take this body over being fat again any day, for sure -- it is one less thing to worry about.

One thing, though... if you lie in a mattress with too many springs, you feel them all poking you... hah!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Hitting my dream goal felt great. I say "dream goal" because my original goal was to get to what I was before I was pregnant, 155. Got on a roll and thought, well, no pressure, let me see if I can finally get below 150. Did that, and thought, well, haven't been 138 in ten years. Did that.

It feels great. I still have some of the same self-esteem issues. If it ain't my body, it's my skin or my clothes. For the most part though, I am much more confident, faster, can endure more, and not shying away from social functions because I couldn't find something to wear.

By the way, Nightengale Shane, I didn't even recognize you because your hair is so different. I love it!!!!!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:46 AM   #5  
Meg

It feels amazing. I'd never been a normal weight and had no idea I could feel as good as I do. It was like taking off a 122-pound backpack and walking away. Now I feel like I'm walking on clouds or with springs on my feet. Even after all these years of maintenance, I'm still astonished at what this body is capable of doing. Pullups! Pushups! Sliding through narrow little spaces! Energy! Wearing clothes I never dreamed of fitting in!

I used to think that how I *look* would motivate me to stay at goal. In reality, it's how good I *feel*. There isn't any food in the world worth trading this feeling for.

I truly believe that if someone who is overweight could trade bodies with me for 24 hours and experience what it feels like to be fit and healthy, nothing in the world would stop them from losing the weight. So many of us have no idea how good it's possible to feel because we've settled for mediocre and making do for too long.

In the end, all I can say is that it's better than any of us could ever imagine. Be prepared for the best surprise of your life!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #6  
Meg

PS regarding hip bones -- I really could use some padding there! My hip bones are exactly the same height as the edge of my kitchen countertops and I'm forever banging them there, quite painfully. Who would have thunk?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Oh gosh, let me give you just one example. You get down on the floor on all fours for some reason, and to get back up, you just rock back on your feet--and stand up!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #8  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

thanks for starting this thread! i really appreciate everyones insight! i have never been thin, I've been overweight since I was a kid so it's hard to imagine myself as thin. For the last few years, everytime I have lost 10-15 pounds I've always just settled with the fact that I could go no further and deluded myself into thinking I look healthy/okay enough and would go back to my old habits..
But this time I have gone further than I ever have before and I'm trying to stay motivated this time to go all the way. Congrats to all of you on your success! All of you are so inspiring!
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post

I used to think that how I *look* would motivate me to stay at goal. In reality, it's how good I *feel*. There isn't any food in the world worth trading this feeling for.
I fully agree with that... both physically and emotionally, the FEELING is terrific
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #10  
No description available.

Hmmm.....I'm not certain I could be described as "thin" at 155+ lbs. Like Shane, I'm a little muscular.

What is it like to be fit? Pretty awesome. I can run with my husband and kids. I bike. I can deadlift more than I weigh.

What is it like to be a healthy weight? Pretty awesome. I still marvel at how much easier things are. I can do things now that would have been difficult 50+ pounds ago. The Metro in Paris would have been a nightmare when I was obese.

What is it like to see my body through new eyes? Pretty stunning at times. I was warming up on an exercise bike and I glanced down at my calf. Holy cut-like-a-brick, Batman.Or I'll notice my quads or triceps or delts....it is very very cool to think, "That's ME????"

I'm still working on some body image stuff and some binge tendencies, but I'd rather be working on them in maintenance than to still be obese.

What is it like to have lost a significant amount of weight? Well, everyone seems to think they have a right to comment on my body....most of the time it is supportive but sometimes criticism is implied (or heck, put right on out there), but I've become more comfortable and more confident and mostly I don't care what other people think anymore.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I've never been thin. Ever. I could post 43 pictures of every year of my life and in some of them I'm not overweight, but never thin.

That said, when I was at 190 a year ago, things didn't hurt. I didn't yell up the stairs for the girls to come down for something, I ran up. I didn't ask someone to hand me something, I got up and got it myself. So here I am - 35 pounds back on and knowing that getting it off is worth every bit of effort so I can experience that same level of energy.

And I really believe I'm going to get to thin this time. I think I weighed 145 when I was 14 years old. I'd like to do it again when I'm 44.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #12  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I don't actually consider myself thin, but I am much smaller. I still find myself constantly surprised, which is weird. I struggle with the clothing thing. I was out shopping with my DH yesterday and he actually said to me "Stop picking the large size, you are a medium" because that's what I keep doing. I still keep thinking that if I get a medium off the rack, some alarm is going to go off and call me out as a fake LOL! And this is a year later

I love the fit feeling I have. I can't get over how far I can run, how far I can bike, how strong I am. I just love it and have found that I am not ready to stop finding out how far I can go. I love being in a crowd and knowing that I blend in and don't stick out because I am large.

In the old days it was always "How much more until I am done" - now it is "How much more can I do?".

Last edited by fiberlover; 08-23-2009 at 06:24 PM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

It's walking around and not having the slightest urge to suck in or disguise my belly Although, it turns out just 5 pounds was enough to mess that up , but I'm partway back to that point. It was really a lovely feeling.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #14  
Losing 20! :)

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5ft 5in

I have always been thin and I dont remember how I felt because it was what I was use to being...I know I was able to run for hours and ride bikes and stuff..now? at 146 I cant do that...it is a workout! lol....I feel in pain now...the day after my workouts are ridiculous...I should have realized I was in shape! But I didnt pay attention...
kiahna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post

I truly believe that if someone who is overweight could trade bodies with me for 24 hours and experience what it feels like to be fit and healthy, nothing in the world would stop them from losing the weight. So many of us have no idea how good it's possible to feel because we've settled for mediocre and making do for too long.
I've said/thought this SO many times. If I'd only known it was THIS fabulous I would have done it sooner. I knew it would feel marvelous, but honestly, I hadn't a clue it would be this overwhelming, stupendous, incredulous over the top PHENOMENAL. Every single day is like living in a fairly tale. I get to wear all these gorgeous outfits, I get to walk around full of energy, bouncing around, light on my feet, like walking on a cloud. No paranoia about who's walking behind me and staring at my enormous backside. No paranoia about taking up more then my fair share of space in the world.

I'm just going to copy and paste this from a post I wrote this morning:

"I wonder if it could be a case of you just don't know what you're missing.I knew being slim would be wonderful, but I hadn't a clue it would be THIS wonderful. Because it's surpassed any expectations I ever had. I never realized that it would encompass each and every aspect of my life. Going to the bank is easier and more enjoyable, as is doing all errands, going shopping, cleaning the house, doing the bills, going to the dentist, getting dressed, doing the laundry. You name it - it's more enjoyable - and easier."

Oh and about the hipbones, I've bruised mine many times walking into the counters. My butt hurts from many chairs because there's just not enough padding. It's okay, I'll take it!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote