Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #1  
SciFi Geek Gettin' Skinny

S/C/G: 186 / 156.6 / 140

Height: 5'7"

Default Frame...and also hunger question.

I've heard before that your wrist can tell you if you have a large, medium, or small frame. And that this can help guide you into what is your ideal weight, and can also tell you more about your body type.

Any truth to this?

My right wrist is a hair under 6 inches, and I'm 5'7". I'm also quite busty.

My other question...I didn't want to post two seperate threads in case that bothers someone...

I only had 911 calories today, haven't eaten dinner yet. And ate 1,083 yesterday. Before on diets I fought cravings...now I find myself rarely hungry. Should I make myself eat something? Or is it okay to be that low for a couple days? Cause on other days my calories will be 1,200-1,400. I don't want to enter starvation mode.
mlgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 8"

My wrist are just over 5.5 inches. I have been told all of my life that I am larger framed. Would be interested to see statistics on what is considered large, mdm, small framed.

I can only speak for myself here...If I found myself 1 day under 1200, I might not eat anything else. If it happened again, I would eat a little more, unless I was feeling under the weather.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #3  
~Kim~

No such thing as starvation mode. It's not going to hurt you if you have a couple days that low in calories, you just don't want to make it a habit.

As far as the wrist thing, I tend to think there is something to that. I have a large frame, even without the wrist test I know it for a fact by the size of my rib cage. At my height with a large frame my healthy weight range is 134-151. For a small frame it would be 114-127. That's a pretty big difference.

Of course you have to realize that all those charts and calculators aren't perfect. Everyone is different and just because I get those numbers doesn't mean I have to fit perfectly into that label in order to be healthy and happy. All those things are just guidelines to me. Take and leave what you want.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #4  
SciFi Geek Gettin' Skinny

S/C/G: 186 / 156.6 / 140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope View Post
My wrist are just over 5.5 inches. I have been told all of my life that I am larger framed. Would be interested to see statistics on what is considered large, mdm, small framed.

I can only speak for myself here...If I found myself 1 day under 1200, I might not eat anything else. If it happened again, I would eat a little more, unless I was feeling under the weather.
Seeing the statistics would be interesting...I have never really heard anything on it aside from that they exist...
mlgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #5  

How do you measure one's "frame"? Good question!!There is a difference for sure.

Anyone??
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #6  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Here's what I found when I Googled it...

Determining frame size:
To determine the body frame size, measure the wrist with a tape measure and use the following chart to determine whether the person is small, medium, or large boned.

Women:

height under 5'2"
small = wrist size less than 5.5"
medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
large = wrist size over 5.75"

height 5'2" to 5' 5"
small = wrist size less than 6"
medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
large = wrist size over 6.25"

height over 5' 5"
small = wrist size less than 6.25"
medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
large = wrist size over 6.5"

Men:

height over 5' 5"
small = wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"
medium = wrist size 6.5" to 7.5"
large = wrist size over 7.5"

Last edited by Angie; 07-11-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #7  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Ive seen frame size calculated in 2 ways. One is via wrist size, as you note. An easy guide without a tape measure:
Grip your wrist using your thumb and index finger.
If your finger and thumb don't touch you are a LARGE frame.
If your finger and thumb just touch you are a MEDIUM frame.
If your finger and thumb overlap you are a SMALL frame.

Ive also seen it calculated based on the distance of the two bones in your elbow.

Here is an online calc that factors in both methods above + gender + height.
http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/fsz

re: starvation mode. If you arent hungry and have had ~1K, you are fine to not eat anything else. If you notice 2 days of low cal leads to midnight snacking or overconsumption the next day, be careful in the future.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

That's what I've found too for wrist sizes. For the record, my wrist is 7 1/8 and I KNOW I have a large frame. There's also a way to measure your elbow joint. Here's the link. It's a bit trickier to get this. I use a compass from school to get mine (helps to have kids who have these things). In that, I get around 3", so again, large frame.

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/fi...bodyframe.html
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #9  

Except fatter people have bigger wrists-- that's fat, not bone. And finger length isn't correlated to frame size (the do your fingers touch) AFAIK.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #10  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Except fatter people have bigger wrists-- that's fat, not bone. And finger length isn't correlated to frame size (the do your fingers touch) AFAIK.
Nope, not true. There is very little fat around the wrist (they've done scans to verify this in research) and same with the elbow bones (we're not talking about the fleshy parts here, but the actual BONE ends).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #11  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i have very little fat on my wrists....my fingers just barely dont touch which seems to confirm what i have always thought, that i have a larger frame...while im over 200 pounds, i honestly dont think I LOOK LIKE i weigh that much...ive had honest ppl peg me at 180-190 before and once at 170 and even ive had doctors surprised at my weight on their scale and said i dont look like that....maybe i just have heavy bones LOL!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 320/217/175

Height: 5'9"

lol I'm at 7 3/4 inches, but I already knew I had a large frame.

But the wrist thing does have it's limitations, because your wrist does shrink a bit with major weight loss. I had a problem with my watches no longer fitting without having links removed. I think the measurement is a pretty good estimate, but I'm sure that obese people have measurements that are slightly skewed upward.
dZsmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:55 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I definitely put weight on my wrists, and I only ended up about 15lb overweight and 35lb over my ideal weight. At my heaviest, I can't get my thumb and middle finger to touch. At my lightest, I can get my thumb and little finger to touch. That's quite a difference.

It may also be worth pointing out that I don't have long fingers. My palm is quite a bit longer than my middle finger.

According to both of those tests, I have a medium to large frame. This is news to me, considering how petite I've always been!

Last edited by Esofia; 07-12-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I do love an online test. But, like all tests, I don't get consistant results. I think I'm large framed. By the measurement guideline, I'm large framed. I fit into the shortest category, but my wrists are still big by the tallest. But my thumb and finger can just barely touch, which would indicate I'm medium. But this just seems like an absurd measure. My thumb and finger touch around my wrist because I have big hands too. And they're flexible. My wrist and hand girth (I guess this is a measure used for gloves) are the same as my 6'1" husbands. Admittedly he's small framed, but still. My elbow width says I'm large...I think. I feel like I'd need calipers to actually get a good measure.

Oh shoot! I just noticed the part about indext finger. I'm not even close. It's my thumb and middle finger that reach. OK, that settles it, I'm large framed.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 129/127.5/112

Height: 5'0.5" (It matters!)

Hmm, I'd quite confidently say I'm small framed, or at the most medium framed. I'm definitely not large framed. Yet my index finger and thumb are no where near touching. But I do have small hands. But surely they've considered this when making the test?
I might find a tape measure and see what that says...
cantgetenoughchoc is offline   Reply With Quote