Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/274.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Back again.

I discovered these forums last September and joined for a brief moment, but I soon gave up on weight loss again. At this point, I feel like it's my last chance to start over again. I was accepted into an M.A. program at Duke, and I will move into a Ph.D. program from there. I've heard stories about how all consuming grad programs can be, and I just feel like if I don't get back on plan for good now then I won't be able to do it until six years from now when I'm finish with school. And I don't want to be like this for another six years. I will admit that I am a flip-flopper - I've been trying to lose weight for ten years and have gone back and forth, but I've never stayed truly committed for any significant amount of time. The most I've ever lost at a time is 12lbs, and that was over a year ago. I've gained almost 100lbs since I started college, and I have 125lbs total that I need to lose to reach my goal.

I started a blog to help keep myself accountable where I will post what I eat daily, the exercise I'm doing, and how I'm feeling about it all. I also finally bit the bullet and put up a few "thinspiration" pictures and quotes around my apartment. I've made some pretty strict rules with my boyfriend, who can be a bad influence sometimes. I know how to lose weight, and I just need to do it. I'm willing to learn more, but I'm here more for support and to try to keep myself accountable and on plan for good this time.

Today was my start date, and I have not been very successful with eating. I failed to ignore the cookies in the cabinet. I have, however, drank the right amount of water, and I did work out this morning, although my work out was a bit lackluster. It wasn't as successful as I would have liked, but that just means I have to work a little bit harder each day going forward.
myfishpajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #2  

Hi, congratulations on your MA place!

I just wanted to say hi because when I read your story it felt as if I was reading my own, with a few minor changes. Lol!

i think you did pretty well today! Ok you had a little slip up but it happens and the best thing is that you've got a really positive minset, something I'd love to have!

Anyway, keep posting on how things are going.

Alz
alz139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Grad school can also be a time to get more fit. Move somewhere you can walk to and from campus or take public transport for part of it and walk part of it. use the school's fitness facilities that come with your tuition and so on. Go to the gym inbetween classes and so on. You can make it what you want it to be!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #4  

myfishpajamas you are absolutely right! From my experience, I know that trying to lose weight in grad school is next to impossible, and trying to develop good habits when starting your first after grad job is a little too much to bear (with networking, learning the ropes, etc.). Kudos to you for nipping this weightloss thing in the bud NOW!

Do you need a buddy? If so, then let's exchange blog links. We can keep each other accountable and accomplish our goals together one day at a time.
FassGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz139 View Post
Hi, congratulations on your MA place!

I just wanted to say hi because when I read your story it felt as if I was reading my own, with a few minor changes. Lol!

i think you did pretty well today! Ok you had a little slip up but it happens and the best thing is that you've got a really positive minset, something I'd love to have!

Anyway, keep posting on how things are going.

Alz
Thank you for the congrats and the encouragement! I'm surprised you said I have a positive mindset. Most days I feel really negative and just try to pump myself up regardless.

Quote:
Grad school can also be a time to get more fit. Move somewhere you can walk to and from campus or take public transport for part of it and walk part of it. use the school's fitness facilities that come with your tuition and so on. Go to the gym inbetween classes and so on. You can make it what you want it to be!
Well, there's a gym at my apartment complex, so I've got that covered, and, besides, grad students only take three classes, so I won't need to work out on campus. It's the out-of-class work that's so tough! I will be walking a good amount on campus because I also have a job at Duke but where I work on campus is pretty far from my classes on campus. My problems are more mental, so that's why I want to start good habits now while my brain can handle it!

Quote:
myfishpajamas you are absolutely right! From my experience, I know that trying to lose weight in grad school is next to impossible, and trying to develop good habits when starting your first after grad job is a little too much to bear (with networking, learning the ropes, etc.). Kudos to you for nipping this weightloss thing in the bud NOW!

Do you need a buddy? If so, then let's exchange blog links. We can keep each other accountable and accomplish our goals together one day at a time.
Thanks for the kudos! I just want to get into good habits now while there is still over a month left before my program starts. Once I get in the swing of things, I know I can keep it going through all the trials and tribulations of grad school. I could definitely use a buddy. I have one buddy who lives about four hours away from me (I know her in real life - she went to my undergrad school), and I inspired her to start losing weight too, so we encourage each other via our blogs. My blog is at http://poundbypound2.tumblr.com - the more buddies the better!

Last edited by myfishpajamas; 07-11-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #6  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Yes, congrats to you for being accepted into that program! But first things first.... you must PURGE! You must get rid of all those temptations that are in your house or give them to your boyfriend. Do you two live together?

I think you also need to do one step at a time. Make eating healthy your priority and then once that is more under control and not feeling as much of a task, then incorporate exercise. If you take too much on too quickly you will burn out pretty fast.

Have you thought about doing a low carb/low calorie plan? It really helps with those sugar and carb cravings once you "detox"; which btw is not fun. However, it is so worth it. But I'm just telling you what finally worked for me after YEARS of yo-yo'ing. My most successful "diet" up until now was 8 years ago when I got down to 155. It was only when I truly embraced this as a journey and figured out what my body responded to did I become more successful than ever. And I know that once you figure that out for yourself you will have the same exact success!!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAm View Post
Yes, congrats to you for being accepted into that program! But first things first.... you must PURGE! You must get rid of all those temptations that are in your house or give them to your boyfriend. Do you two live together?
Yes, we live together. He is about the same weight as me and wants to lose too, but he does not have the motivation, and while my choices are my own, and I don't want to blame him, I know his lack of motivation has caused mine to lag. Right now, all of the junk in my apartment is gone, but honestly, it was only there for a few days anyway. Normally when we buy groceries, we buy healthy groceries. It's the eating out that gets me, and we tend to eat out a lot. I made him promise we would only go out to eat for two meals/week.

Quote:
I think you also need to do one step at a time. Make eating healthy your priority and then once that is more under control and not feeling as much of a task, then incorporate exercise. If you take too much on too quickly you will burn out pretty fast.
But it's the exercise that's easy for me! Seriously, I love to work out. No kidding. So I agree that healthy eating needs to be my priority because it's the side of this whole thing that I'm bad at!

Quote:
Have you thought about doing a low carb/low calorie plan? It really helps with those sugar and carb cravings once you "detox"; which btw is not fun. However, it is so worth it. But I'm just telling you what finally worked for me after YEARS of yo-yo'ing. My most successful "diet" up until now was 8 years ago when I got down to 155. It was only when I truly embraced this as a journey and figured out what my body responded to did I become more successful than ever. And I know that once you figure that out for yourself you will have the same exact success!!
I'm trying to stick to a low calorie plan but not necessarily a low carb - just a low sugar. I try to keep low calorie/low fat/low sugar and high protein food around. I only eat whole grains. Etc. I can't avoid pasta or bread or rice - that doesn't work for me - so I eat correct portions and whole grain of that sort of thing. Although sometimes we don't even have a bread with our meals but a starchy vegetable like potatoes. Vegetables are my struggle. I don't like them. Period. The only vegetables I genuinely liked (not-fried, that is) are either starchy or legumes. I don't like lettuce, tomatoes, or broccoli, although I really wish I did.

Thank you for the ideas and the encouragement!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #8  
PhDelicious

S/C/G: 256/ticker/155

Height: 5'10''

Wow, myfishpajamas! Congrats on getting accepted to Duke. What are you getting your masters/phd in? I'm starting a masters/phd program in music at UC Davis this fall, and I'm also looking to get into some good habits before I get there.

One thing I've come to realize recently is that I'm more motivated at the thought of losing inches than losing pounds. Like you, I enjoy exercising enough that most of my problem has been diet. I'm working on the diet thing, but in the meantime the idea of smaller jeans has proven to be a huge motivation for me to stay on plan. Maybe keeping track of your measurements would help you, too.

In any case, I think you made a great decision by deciding to come back to us here at 3FC. I'm a fairly new member myself (I joined this past May), and it's been a huge blessing to have such a wealth of support at the tips of my fingers.

Best of luck with your new plan, and make sure to keep us posted on your progress!
SMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMess View Post
Wow, myfishpajamas! Congrats on getting accepted to Duke. What are you getting your masters/phd in? I'm starting a masters/phd program in music at UC Davis this fall, and I'm also looking to get into some good habits before I get there.
My Master's/Ph.D. will be in Religion (but a secular program - I am not in Duke's Divinity School but in the Graduate School). I study American Religion with an emphasis on New Religious Movements, gender, and sexuality. I will end up being either a professor (most likely) or working in a research organization. I played in band for seven years between middle school and high-school, so that is awesome that you're doing music! I wish I had done band in undergrad!

Quote:
One thing I've come to realize recently is that I'm more motivated at the thought of losing inches than losing pounds. Like you, I enjoy exercising enough that most of my problem has been diet. I'm working on the diet thing, but in the meantime the idea of smaller jeans has proven to be a huge motivation for me to stay on plan. Maybe keeping track of your measurements would help you, too.
I seem to be really bad at measuring myself because I have tried this before. When I first started to online shop, and I didn't know what size I was yet because I gained the last 50lbs so rapidly, I tried to measure myself, but no way were the measurements accurate to the size charts online. I guess I just don't know how to measure myself, but maybe I will try again.

Thank you for the advice and support!