Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

Default What do you do when you over indulge in the middle of the day?

Hello you wise people!

Ok so I follow an eating plan with food exchanges that is lower carb and I also track with fit day and try to stay at about 1800ish cals a day.

Well today I woke up and shortly after my healthy normal breakfast hurt my back. I was in pain and feeling sorry for myself and well for some reason I needed to finish off the small amount 30g of avocado oil kettle chips. I then added some chocolate and 2.5 home-made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. My DH came home to help me take care of my son and made lunch and after I recorded all my food in fit day I am pretty much at 1800 cals already and it is just 4.

My carbs are ok for the day but my fat is up and my protein is down. I also have insulin resistance so usually eat every 2-3 hours (just smaller amounts of lower glycemic foods)

So here is my dilemma while I do feel a some frustration at myself for allowing a mini binge and avoiding my emotions I am happy that I didn't go crazy and if I were to stop eating for the day would end the day without going over my cals so no harm done to weight loss. However I know I will be hungry later and also do not want to get into a situation of feeling starving tonight and scrounging for food. Do you tend to skip dinner if you over indulged mid day? Should I just eat a sensible dinner and take the extra calories and take it as a lesson learned?

Also would love some suggestions for a low cal, high protein dinner also haven't had any veg today
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I would not skip dinner just to keep within a given calorie range. For dinner I would probably opt for a really nice salade with greens, tomatoes, green peppers, cucumber, etc and add low fat/no fat dressing and toss in a hard boiled egg for teh protein.

Also, about insulin - more and more research is showing that if you do lower carbs, you don't need to eat as often as every 2-3 hours. it's when people eat higher carb diets and get insulin spikes and lows that they need to worry about that. Do some reading - all advice is being disproven left and right when it comes to how to eat when you're diabetic.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #3  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Definitely take it as a lesson learned. You, me and many others on this board have been there and ate that! Don't beat yourself up too much and just have a very sensible dinner like berry said above. If eggs don't do it for you then buy or grill up a skinless chicken breast and put half of that in your salad. You can make it up, don't worry!

The next time a bag of chips tempts you it is best to open the bag, turn it upside down and dump them into the nearest garbage can. Sabatoge them! It will make you feel better when they are gone. (Gone in a healthy way, of course!)

Last edited by ShanIAm; 07-06-2011 at 04:52 PM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #4  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

agree about the salad or veggies with some lean protein. Yes, you will be over your planned calories but you don't need to torture yourself over it by making yourself starve!

drink lots of water to help counteract all that salt and carbs, and get yourself right back on track.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the awesome advice. I will have a nice salad and some grilled chicken breast tonight for dinner. Also drinking lots of water

Also thank you for the encouragement.
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #6  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

keep dinner, just make it low cal -- and you can always do some extra exercise! maybe go for a walk or a jog?
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #7  

I agree with the others' suggestions. Also, if you want to "make up" for the overage in your calories, you can just cut back for a couple of days---maybe shave off 200 calories a day for the next two days. You'll barely feel it. That's what I regularly do (called calorie cycling).

Last edited by lin43; 07-06-2011 at 06:33 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #8  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

When I do this, I use all those extra calories to fuel a workout! And then eat a veggie packed dinner. In my mind, sweat and spinach cure all .

Hope you had a nice dinner tonight! You never have to wait for a new day to get back on track.
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Agree with tuende. Sometimes a few extra calories = more stamina for cardio - not all the time but a fair amount of the time.

If you're hungry later, have some dinner. If you're not, don't.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Something very basic and low-calorie for dinner, soup or salad. I don't worry too much about adding in protein sources, as they tend to be higher in fat and calories, and if I've overeaten that day then I've already had enough protein. I don't starve myself that evening either.

After that, I tot up the number of extra calories consumed that day, and spread them out as an additional deficit over the next few days. Obviously there are limits as to how far you can reasonably do this. Personally, I wouldn't cut more than 100 calories per day, and wouldn't keep it up for more than, hmm, five days, and stop worrying about any calories over and above that. Of course, I'm small and inactive and only on 1100 calories to begin with; other people may be able to get away with cutting 200 extra calories in a day. The important thing is that it should be a small enough extra deficit that it makes you feel neither hungry nor deprived.

And of course, the most important thing of all is that you don't let this tip you over into a guiltfest and start bingeing or starving yourself. It's better to take no action at all than to get into an unhealthy pattern.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 242/242/192

Height: 5'6"

ShanIAm: The next time a bag of chips tempts you it is best to open the bag, turn it upside down and dump them into the nearest garbage can. Sabatoge them! It will make you feel better when they are gone. (Gone in a healthy way, of course!)

This is great advice. When I feel full esp. at a restaurant, I do this by adding hot sauce or some other icky thing to the food remaining so that I don't pick at it. Works like a charm.

Butterflymama: Just eat a sensible dinner with protien (egg/turkey/chicken). I think it's better to go over your calories than to skip dinner.

Last edited by Donna Donut; 07-07-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Donna Donut is offline   Reply With Quote