General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 302/264/155

Height: 5'5

Default Where do I start?

I just started my account today so I am new here. I have lost about 35 pounds over the last few years by doing some small things like drinking more diet drinks and not sodas or having slimfast sometimes at work. I decided that it was time to get serious and try to lose the over 100 pounds that I have left. I am not sure where to start though. I have one friend who says to count calories but that seems hard. I have another friend who does a low carb diet South Beach and he said it is really easy but that the first few weeks are hard. I don't really like bread so I thought that might be good but I don't know yet. I don't have the money to join Weight Watchers or anything like that.

Where do I need to start? I want something that is easy to keep track of and not too many changes.
IrishKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If you want to save money Calorie Counting can't be beat. You do not have to purchase anything special and there are no meetings to go to. I do not find CC counting to be hard, there are many CC on 3FC also many South Beach Fans and other diets as well. You may need to experiment a little to fimd what workd best for you.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Finding the right plan for you is like finding the right spouse. Sometimes it takes a lot of "dating".

If you want to know what is best for you, then start with one type of plan and try it out! The worst that happens is you simply figure out it doesn't fit your life, and you keep the good parts of that plan in your life... and move onto the next idea.

Trial and error.

Calorie Counting is free. It's very easy once you learn your calorie limit. And the only time it requires is an extra minute to pen down your calories for the day. There are many resources, and a lot of 3FCers find it a cheap and easy way to lose weight. Plus, it's INCREDIBLY flexible. You can count calories and still use the foods -you- want to eat. You can incorporate just about anything you want to do along with calorie counting. So in that sense, there's only as much change that YOU want to make. It just comes down to calories in vs. calories out.

South Beach is also very popular, but it's a little more restrictive than calorie counting. Some people swear by it, though, as it fits their lifestyle. It's a perfectly reasonable plan, and for some members it simply clicked as the right way to eat.

There is no "wrong" plan (as long as the plan is -healthy- while still helping you lose weight) there is only the right plan... for you.

So don't be shy! Look around, be thoughtful about how your days are and what types of things you'd like to be able to accomplish with a food plan. Then find one that fits those things and try it out! No harm in trying =)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #4  

Hey, Good luck!

I have to say tht i completely agree with Lovely! I had tried lots and lots of diets and nothing seemed to work long term for me. The diets were either too hard because of restricting foods or they were boring etc. At the minute I am not on a diet per se, but I just eat "cleanly". In the past CC has also worked but I find it hard to keep on top of it.

The thing I found helps is whatever changes you make to you're diet do it gradually as I have found it helps me feel more in control.

Hope this helps!

X
alz139 is offline   Reply With Quote