Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #1  
Releasing the inner hiker

Default General post-op recommendations

Hello folks,

My RnY surgery is scheduled for August 1, and as is my nature, I am trying to plan ahead.

I know I have seen lists of this nature here before, but for the life of me, I can't find one. What would you recommend I take for the 2 days I'll be in the hospital? What would you recommend I own (non-food related mostly) for the immediate weeks after surgery? I live in a rural location and not near any stores. Further, I'll pretty much be on my own and want to make sure I have the necessities.

Thanks!
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

Here ya go! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...-list-wls.html

Pookie hasn't been around in a few years, and i miss her a lot. but she sure had a lot of good stuff to say

congrats on getting a date - and it's great that you're planning ahead - but be honest - are you nervous??
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #3  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

I was just wondering, after surgery, which I am considering, what do you do if you can't eat things with artifical sweetners in them? I get headaches from the main ones used in foods.
Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #4  
Releasing the inner hiker

Thank you Jiffypop. I did read that one, but it was mostly food related. I was thinking about must-haves in the hospital/after that are not food related. I know my treatment center will provide the food info; other than chapstick, my kindle, and a pillow, I'm not sure what else to bring to the hospital.

And yes, I am nervous. Today, actually, was the first time I've had a mini anxiety attack. Since I live alone, a good 30 minutes away from any friends (or even acquaintances), I started to worry about what would happen to my animals (2 dogs, 1 cat) if I had an emergency. But, I am prone to anxiety, so I'm trying to alleviate my to-do list in order to relax a bit.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

ahh. i see. well, something to do = a book, magazines, knitting, whatever. your tunes. SLIPPERS and toiletries - the hospital slippers don't stay on your feet and are slippery, and you'll probably be happier with your own face cleanser and toothpaste.

now, about the critters. who's gonna take care of them while you're in the hospital? and - voice of experience - emptying the litter box the first couple of days after getting home is - a little uncomfortable. but it eases up after a couple of days [not even a week]

and when you get home, most docs don't want you to lift anything heavier than about 10 pounds. so don't plan to be hauling cat litter into the house!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote