Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/see ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

Question what is WRONG with me

Starting weight=151.1

On June 27th,2011 I started a new weekly workout routine to lose weight. I am embarrassed to tell you that I haven't lost any weight, I GAINED 2.1 lbs. Now let's get to the story. My work out routine is like this: Monday through Thurs; running, weight lifting,(30min break),streching/flexing,thigh abs and gluetes class. I have completed the first week fine, lost about 1 pound in those 4 days. Ate just fine; fruits and oatmeal for breakfast, not a big but healthy lunch, and same with dinner. I barely eat meat ( no I'm not vegan or vegeterian). I planned to work out for the 4 day weekend I have but turned out to; Friday not doing anything the whole day, ate just fine. Saturday went to the mall walked alot and decided that it was my workout for the day (LAME) ate fine and today is a big day for me and my hubby (an anniversary) and it was bad. breakfast: 2 buttermilk pancakes with LOADS of syrup+O.J from Los Charros. Lunch; stopped at a near by farmers market and got ALOT of fruit. Went to the beach blahblahblah, dinner; ravioli filled with cheese added shrimp and a rasberry lemonade from Olive Garden.

Final weight for the week=154.1

FAIL. why do I do this to myself?! All of my workouts and healthy eating for a whole week just got thrown away by this sunday ugh I hate this.

Anyone has advice on what can keep me from binging like this?
pointless2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #2  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

You are working out too hard; I could not lose any weight kckboxing 3 times a week and running 4 miles EVERY day, weight lifting 2x a week. Nothing. Counted calories, all that...BUT...it's the carbs. The ideal protein is the only thing that has helped.

I think it is just like any addict. You probably won't stop the sabatoge until you can see that, and some days will just be harder than others. If you fall off the wagon the worst thing you can do is get mad at yourself. It's just going to happen sometimes, but you can minimize the damage by getting back on track quickly and being nice to yourself instead of hating yourself for losing your way.

i struggle alot, too. you are not alone.
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #3  

@Purrfect I know I shouldn't get mad at myself but I feel like if my body got used to eating light and now I ate like loads of calories and fat and carbs it's going to store as fat right away?I just do not see why I am doing this to myself I will never lose weight like that
Old 07-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #4  
Patience.

S/C/G: 164/151/120

Height: 5'4"

pointless... throw away your scale. (I know everyone reading this looks like this right now: ) Seriously, though. If you're strength training (ST) and using any REAL amount of weight, then you are most likely gaining muscle while you're losing fat. I lost 15lbs in a few months without ST... and as soon as I started ST, I stopped losing weight. I'm still losing inches (I know this because of how my clothes fit), though, which is what really matters anyway.

Plus, you're only 2 weeks in. Patience. You're not going to see immediate, consistent results. You just won't.

One day of falling off the wagon will set you back, but it's not going to ruin all of your efforts. If you weighed yourself the next day after binging... well... that's just silly!

Lastly, if you're not already counting calories... you need to start. Part of your problem may be that you aren't eating ENOUGH calories on a daily basis.

There are so many things that contribute to weight gain... but rest assured, if you continue down the path you're on, you will see results. Maybe not in numbers on the scale... but in your mindset and how your clothes fit. Patience.
EllieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:51 AM   #5  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

My only advice is to figure out WHY you are binging..and then find an alternative soloution...

You havent given us any idea what lunches and dinner look like..and im hoping that oatmeal isnt instant and out of a package?? cause if so..its full of sugar..

Besides..working out..especially muscle training..your body retains more water and usually tries to hold onto the pounds the first few weeks..give it a few weeks..actually..i would give it more like a full month before you start complaining that its not working..cause guarenteed your body is just trying to fight you by keeping on the pounds through water retention or other issues.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:03 AM   #6  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Good for you for working towards losing weight.

I think what is probably happening is as my personal trainer would probably say is as you exercise, you gain some weight because you gain muscle as someone else says. You may be gaining weight but possibly losing in measurements on your body.

It's okay, actually good to have a "sanity meal" from time to time but it's important to not go overboard when you do it. If you just stuck to the diet all the time without ever allowing yourself to go off it for any reason whatever, then you would probably get bored and fed up with your diet plan, possibly quitting and bingeing more. If you find you binge at home, consider not bringing those binge foods home.

Also, exercise is great, but it's important to stay hydrated and not overdo it.

good luck!

Last edited by seabiscuit; 07-04-2011 at 03:03 AM.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

One thing I'd suggest you keep in mind is that fast weight gain is usually not fat. It is usually water weight. If you get your food back on track, it should leave as quickly as it came.

Also, I think your workouts are pretty hard and don't need to be. Yes, exercise 5 days a week is OK, but it doesn't have to be a "boot camp" situation. And it sounds like you're not tracking your food, in the sense of counting calories or carbs or grams of protein, etc. Sometimes that can be a factor in slowing things down--for example, if you are not eating enough protein to support all that muscle work.

I'd say there is nothing wrong with you. You're just learning.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #8  

@EllieMae noo way I'm throwing away my scale haha but you are right I shouldn't assume anything within a week I won't see the results that's for sure. I was just dissappointed in myself you know but whatever I'll just forget about it.
Porthardygurl you know to be honest I only binge when I am with my boyfriend. We don't live together but when we see each other we always go out to eat. I know it's bad but we've been together for a long time and just can't always find something to do. My lunches and dinners consist of rice sometimes beans the oatmeal doesn't have any sugar.

seabiscuit my sanity meal was way too much haha! I should of just not eaten that much for breakfast, and cut my portion at night in half. but it was SO good! =(

Jay; haha yes, I am learning on my mistakes. I do have a trainer for those classes and he told me it's okay to exercise that much in a day so I trust him lol. But I really do hope that what I gained was water weight, kus if not...Ehhh =/
Old 07-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #9  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I haven't read the other responses but you NEED to be eating more protein doing that amount of workouts. If you're lifting/running/kickboxing you need protein to build muscles otherwise you're just killing yourself and your body is going to start having mad cravings because it just can't sustain that level of activity without enough protein.

I lift heavy 3x a week and sometimes run another 2 days a week and have to eat A LOT of meat to prevent cravings (obviously, don't forget fruit and veggies too) but I'm not someone whose the biggest fan of meat in general but I've gotten myself in the habit of eating more and it's then easier for me to eat less calories AND I'm much less tempted to start binging. Also eggs and bacon+ veggies make a great breakfast.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #10  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointless2011 View Post
@Purrfect I know I shouldn't get mad at myself but I feel like if my body got used to eating light and now I ate like loads of calories and fat and carbs it's going to store as fat right away?I just do not see why I am doing this to myself I will never lose weight like that
You are already in the smack dab middle of a normal BMI. Maybe your body is happy where it's at.

And honestly, if your personal trainer thinks that 130 is a good weight for a 5'9" woman who works out heavily, I'd get another trainer. In my humble opinion, that is too low if you're body building/weight lifting. Heck, I think that is too low if you sit around doing nothing.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 07-04-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #11  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
You are already in the smack dab middle of a normal BMI. Maybe your body is happy where it's at.

And honestly, if your personal trainer thinks that 130 is a good weight for a 5'9" woman who works out heavily, I'd get another trainer. In my humble opinion, that is too low if you body building/weight lifting. Heck, I think that is too low if you sit around doing nothing.
Yes, a million times over to that. I didn't see your height and now I'm REALLY suspicious about your trainer. Since you're at a healthy weight already you should be focused on decreases body fat so your trainer should be using calipers to check your measurements AND be measuring your body parts that you're interested in (personally, I do bust, waist, hips). At this point what goes does it do you to get to 130? Doesn't it make more sense for you to have the body type that you want (I'm assuming you want to look more fit? possibly fit in a smaller size?).

I also wanted to add that you're probably experiencing water retention from lifting. When I started to lift I wasn't able to lose weight for a good long time BUT I lost a lot of inches. Also, are you weighing during your period because that can also drastically affect your results.

I still stand by my above statement that you need more protein and that can help with your cravings... It can be difficult when a loved one is around, I have that same problem with DH but if I'm not craving junk when he's around it's a lot easier to say no.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #12  

runningfromfat; yeah I know I need to eat more meat but I just can't eat it... It doesn't taste good to me and I don't like the consistency of it lol (YEAH I'm weird like that)

Lori Bell; 130 is my own weight goal, I never told him that. I just told him I want to lose weight and tone up my body, so that's the workout plan he suggested I'd do. I'm sure he would freak out if I said 130 lol.

To be honest I don't think I will ever get down to 130, I just put that as my goal weight to see the huge difference that I need to face. If I would of put 135-140, I know I would never work out or try hard enough, because it just seems like 10 lbs.. I don't know how to explain it, but leaving that 130lbs goal weight seems the best motivation for me right now. I do understand that being 5'9" and 130 lbs is probably scary looking but I will do it day by day, and maybe losing even 7 lbs would put me in a good shape and I'll stop then and just maintain.

thanks for replying guys!! It really made me feel alot better about myself than last night. I was almost crying!