Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

Default Speed of weight loss?

I ws just wondering at what kind of speeds people are experiencing weight loss? Mine is very slow, having lost only twenty-something pounds in seven months, and I've seen some rocket that fat off. I'm happy with the loss and it's steadily dropping off, but I think it's my own fault for the slow-ness because I cheat on chocolate raisins (my vice) quite a bit and only exercise maybe two hours per week!
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #2  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

i've lost an average of 7 lbs per month
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #3  
Vegalitarian

Height: 5'8

I've lost 3lbs a month on average... I just can't go any harder I feel ill. I'm happy though.
Astrild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

mine varies for some reason...while my eating and activity level remain the same, my weight loss tends to fluctuate...the lower i keep my carbs, the faster the weight comes off though...the first month i lost 9 pounds, the next month 2, the month after was 8 and this month will be slower again, maybe 2-3...as long as it's going down though, i'm happy
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #5  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

When I am really focused and sticking to my plan like glue, I can lose 4-5 pounds in a month. It's taken me about 23 months to lose a little over 90 pounds.

Last edited by carter; 07-03-2011 at 07:35 PM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Every body is so different and the speed on which it comes off really isn't important as long as people are trying to make better decisions and trying to get healthier all around (which includes fitness).

This is a lifestyle change and for some the switch needs to be slow. For others, the ground work was already laid and just implementing it was needed and so on.

My hope was to lose 1 pound a week this entire year. Turns out, so far, I've been losing about 2 pounds a week. It just came much easier to me than I expected. I think, for me, a lot of my problem was a realllllly slow thyroid. It wasn't making me gain weight (I have been steady for years), but it was zapping all my energy. A trip to the grocery store was reason for a nap. Now that I feel like I have new batteries, I'm just more active. AND I sleep better, which means I make better food decisions.

For years and years I worked on eating better and I did except for lunch and snacks. Breakfast and dinner was pretty spot on stellar nutrition. Now that I sleep better and have more energy, my other food choices are good too.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #7  
Cool Chick

S/C/G: 283/227.2/180

Height: 5' 10"

I've lost 66.6 pounds since the end of December 2010, which I think averages out to about 2.3 pounds a week. I usually lose a lot slower, but this time around, I do not "cheat"--I just build in the treats like a small piece of chocolate or a piece of pizza into my eating plan. And I've been keeping up with exercise--one hour on the elliptical 5-6 times a week, every week.

I guess it all depends on both your body (and what it will "let" you lose) and how much time/effort you want to spend on your weight loss journey. I guess I'm just thinking that I'd rather spend the extra effort now losing more weight. But I'm sure a lot of people are cool with losing a pound a week, or a 1/2 a pound a week, or even less. The important thing is that we're going in the right direction!
heathermichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #8  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I've never been a fast loser before so I'm amazed at how quick the losses have been so far on my current plan (the Dukan diet). Today was 6 weeks and I'm down 20 lbs. I don't expect this pace to last forever, although I'm certainly grateful for it!!

However, the big catch - and this is BIG - is that my plan has 4 phases, so once I lose the weight, I don't go right into maintenance. There is a middle phase where you start to add in a few additional foods to what is a very restrictive plan, and that transitional period is 5 days for every pound you lose. So I'm already at 100 days of the transition and by the time I lose all the weight, it will be well over a year. I won't be actively trying to lose then, but it will be a pretty limited plan in order to get my body used to that new weight. So I think for now, I get the benefit of quicker losses, but ultimately, it will take as long, even longer, before I'm officially in maintenance. But I am hoping that extra time is what will ultimately make the difference in keeping the weight off instead of putting it back on the way I always have done in the past.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:48 AM   #9  
walkin'the dogs

S/C/G: 231/ 173/ 140

Height: 5ft 7"

i lost around a stone (14lbs) a month at first, but now ive slowed down abit to 7lbs a months. TBH as long as im losing im happy. Ive only been doing it since march & whatever weight i am by next march is probaley what i will maintain at (& by then understand & know my body better, what works & what does not)
Mishflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:52 AM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Everyone loses in such incredibly varied amounts.

I'm in the beginning three months of my journey, -and- starting at a higher weight than many people so it's been dropping fairly fast. My average weekly is about 2.5. That will likely change as time goes on and I have less to lose.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #11  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

I've lost 31 pounds in 5 months, so that's an average of 6 pounds a month. Sometimes I get discouraged because that seems so slow, but then I realize that the weight didn't go on overnight, so it's not going to come off overnight. Plus, I figure the longer it takes me to get it off -- the harder I have to work -- the more likely I am to keep it off once I get to my goal weight.

As several other people have already said, everyone loses at a different rate, and it depends on a bunch of different factors. As long as you're losing, it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get there.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

I'm losing slowly and happy about it. The reason being it's more likely to stay off as its a lifestyle choice rather than a diet. Also your less likely to get loose skin, losing weight slowly gives your skin a chance to retain its elasticity and shrink with your weight loss. x
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

12lbs in 1 year! I ate a very small calorie deficit (nearly maintenance calories) and worked out very hard in the gym. For me, my goal was body composition as I started fairly low.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #14  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

If I lose 2lbs this month I'll have lost 40lbs in the past year. Although my weight loss has slowed down considerably since I started so I'm averaging something like a 2-3lb loss/month. As long as it keeps going in the downward direction I'm happy.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #15  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

My weight loss has always fluctuated also. I restarted in June with more focus--eating better and exercising. I lost 12 lbs. I only lost 2 so far in July. When I was younger, late teens (pre-kids), I was able to lose 5lbs a week if I wanted to. Not anymore.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote