Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Age means more confidence?

So, I have been overweight for 8 years and looking back at all the times I've attempted to lose weight I've realized how much more focused and confident I've become. I remember dieting and thinking that I just wanted to lose 20 lbs because I did not believe I could lose it all. I remember having conversations with my brother and him telling me that I REALLY had to believe that I was going to lose it and I was just so cautious and always saying that I just want to be realistic. I was far more unstable on my diet. I was working out a lot and I would lose so slow because I would sabotage my diet. I have had just a few hiccups this time and I KNOW that I am going to lose this weight (also thank to all of you at 3FC). Looking back I realize that I was not ready and I would have not maintained it even if I made it to goal.

Does anyone else feel like they know that they are going to lose this weight and never felt this before?
Sunshine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #2  
Happy Member

I think so. Actually I've been overweight all my life, but when I actually got around to focusing on what I needed to do to lose the weight I was in my mid-70s. Now I am 85, and keeping the weight off nicely.

Why didn't I do it earlier? I dunno. Guess I was too dumb to do it. Or maybe too lazy. I really dunno.

But I finally did it!! I finally lost over 60 lbs. and I couldn't be happier about it.

Last edited by JoJoJo2; 07-02-2011 at 08:05 AM.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/130/115

Height: 5'0"

YES! Weight loss is a mindset. I was overweight for 10 yrs. I had five children within a 10 yr span, and with a little extra weight from each pregnancy added to my short body, I ended up quite large. After the last baby was born, I told my hubby that I was going to lose weight. His response was, "I think you can, but I don't think you will." He had heard it so many times before. But this time I KNEW something was different! I first had to stop making excuses as to why I was overweight. Sure the pregnancies didn't help, but I had to be honest with myself and take some responsibilty for my own eating habits and lack of excersize. I then took his statement head on as a challenge and lost 55 lbs over a year, and have kept it off for the last 3 1/2 years. It was the best thing I've ever done for myself. Good luck with your journey!
RNmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

When I started this diet, it was from the highest point I'd ever reached. So it would take more effort than any previous diet. Yet - I have been more successful.

I think part of it is that at a later age, you can reflect on other obstacles in life that took a while to get through. To face a diet that could take a year, or frankly change your habits for good for MANY years, does not seem as formidable. It is "comparable" to other travails, and you can mentally grasp what is necessary to tackle the journey.

Last edited by darway; 07-02-2011 at 01:32 PM.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoJo2 View Post
I think so. Actually I've been overweight all my life, but when I actually got around to focusing on what I needed to do to lose the weight I was in my mid-70s. Now I am 85, and keeping the weight off nicely.

Why didn't I do it earlier? I dunno. Guess I was too dumb to do it. Or maybe too lazy. I really dunno.

But I finally did it!! I finally lost over 60 lbs. and I couldn't be happier about it.
wow 85 years old! you ROCK!

i've felt like the OP this time around...this time i can see myself doing a low carb way of eating for life...because now my blood sugars are pre-diabetic and, even if i dont like it, i need to eat this way so i dont become diabetic down the road...i feel more confident this time and the weight is coming off easier this time...i feel like i'm more educated this time about low carb and pre-diabetes and that i'm making mostly good choices for myself this time...i still struggle with sugar and craving it and eating as much of it as i can if i get the chance, or take one bite and it leads to 500 more bites so my way of eating isn't perfect all the time but this time it's MOSTLY on plan and that seems to be working
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #6  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I don't know that it's age as such. I think previous experience, if we learn from it, has more to do with how likely we are to be successful. I've met people who are older than me but have less experience with eating well and being active, so mentally (as far as weight loss is concerned) they're where I was in my teens and early 20's.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 381/327/175

Height: 5'10"

As we get older, we get wiser, I do believe. We reflect back on past experiences, and hopefully we learn from our mistakes. Life presents us with so many challenges. Im still way overweight, but I am losing this time without the angst I've experienced in the past. My main focus every day is not what I eat. Yes, I do think about it and try to make good choices and eat sensibly, but I'm not "all wrapped-up" about it = its just a small part of my day. I'm losing weight without stress - I love it!!

Mary
noregrets4me is offline   Reply With Quote