General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #1  
The Newbie <3

S/C/G: 17st/17st/14st

Height: 5ft7

Question SlimFast???

Hey guys, so I'm on a diet at the moment I'm calorie counting but my mum came round to my house last night with two SlimFast shakes (she only bought them because they were on offer lol ). I just wanted to know has anyone here had these shakes? I don't want to drink them at the moment because I don't have a clue on how SlimFast actually works Is it a meal? Is it a drink? A snack? So if anyone knows what these shakes do an answer would be most appreciated xxxxx
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/128/116

Height: 5ft

I did slimfast for a few weeks. Its a meal replacement shake. Normally you have 1 for breakfast and one for Lunch 2 snacks of around 100cals and a healthy meal for Dinner at around 600cals i think.
Its good as a quick fix and easy to do and i actually found them quite filling but i dont think i would do it long term and it only took about a month for the wieght to go back on after returning to normal foods.
carrieanne4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #3  
The Newbie <3

Oh right okay, so do you think it would be okay if I did the one for brekky one for lunch and then 600cal dinner like once a week? and then the rest of the days go back to calorie counting? The SlimFast shakes are tempting me to take them to work as I don't really get anything for my lunch break?
Thankyou
Old 07-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

The SlimFast diet works by replacing two meals a day with shakes, and then having a sensible dinner. There are also snack bars, etc.

I do not personally recommend this type of weight loss, because the idea of "replacement" food wouldn't help me learn what to do with real food after I stop using the shakes.

That being said! There are times when we have to do certain things to get by, and if using SlimFast helps someone stay on plan, then it falls under what is right for the individual. If once a week you find it easier to use a few shakes, then by all means.

I'd just be wary of using it like a diet. As the previous poster mentioned, if you go back to "eating normally" the weight comes back on. (Like with any short term "diet")
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 147/128/116

Height: 5ft

My mum still uses the shakes when she goes to meeting etc as they just pop into your bag i dont think using them a few times a week will hurt just count them into your calorie counting at least your having your set amount of calories so shouldnt make any difference.
carrieanne4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

They don't "work" in any special way. They are just another way of spending 200 of your daily caloric allotment. I don't think I would consider Slim Fast outside of calorie counting.

Slimfast has a lot of sugar and it's not a "whole" food, but some people find it a useful tool to stay under their daily calories. Some people like the taste and opt to eat it instead of two eggs (also 200 calories), 2 tbs of peanut butter (190 calories), or a salad with small serving of chicken (200 calories). But others would rather get complete nutrients from whole foods instead of an artificial, processed drink. For some it helps them try to get in all their daily nutrients, while others prefer to get their nutrients from "whole" unprocessed food sources.

So drink it if you want, and maybe it'll be a useful part of your calorie counting and diet. But I wouldn't put any more stock into it than you would any other type of food.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #7  
The Newbie <3

Okay thanks a lot everyone I don't think I'll be investing my money in anymore SlimFast but I may just drink the two in my fridge for when I go to work
Thanks again xxxx
Old 07-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #8  
Excited!

S/C/G: 260/See Ticker!/150

Height: 5'2''

I've always counted calories with every diet... I have never followed the Slim Fast diet because I've always felt like it was just a trap to buy only Slim Fast products. But I love their Cappuccino flavor shakes for breakfast. It keeps me at a reasonable caloric intake for breakfast, I think it tastes good, and I don't have time to fix breakfast in the morning. I don't drink them EVERY morning but I'd say I have at least 3/week. I wouldn't ever try to replace my lunch with them, but I'd say they're good to have in stock in the fridge for when you're on the go/not feeling like cooking much.

onic28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/146/132

Height: 5'5"

I do keep a store brand version in my cupboard. It's an instant meal when you have no time. I do use it also as a base. The mix, some milk and a 1/2 cup frozen yogurt ( or add some fruit) , blend and I have a treat and I get some nutrients to boot. The mix is high in sugar and carbs but I use it rarely.
sumu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #10  
wants to walk away 200lbs

S/C/G: 350 -last time I found a scale

Height: 5'7"

I used them for a while when I went back to work once, just because I didn't want to get up earlier to make a breakfast and it stopped me from getting "junk" on the road (now the sugar would be too high for me I am afraid).

They might be an option for you if you really don't have time for lunch. I know I rebound overeat later, if I skip meals all together. Personally I'd never do them for lunch myself if I was looking for easy as there are a whole bunch of "Chunky Soups" that come in under 250 cal and I would rather chew than drink something. I'd say, you have a few try them and see how they work for you.

Last edited by fatgyrl; 07-01-2011 at 07:42 AM. Reason: my spell checker hates me...
fatgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #11  
wants to walk away 200lbs

S/C/G: 350 -last time I found a scale

Height: 5'7"

Here are better answers than mine: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does...-slimfast.html

Last edited by fatgyrl; 07-01-2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: missed the second e in better
fatgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #12  

S/C/G: Pant Size 12/6/4

Height: 5'2"

I have never used the shakes (the idea makes me gag as I am not a milk drinker) but I use the bars. Since I am always on the go for work I had trouble staying away from fast food at lunch time. Now I grab a lunch bar before leaving the house and eat it in my car as lunch. I also eat the snack bars for the same reasons. I love the taste of the bars so choose them over some of the other brands out there. It's not a "diet" but rather a convenient and easy way to avoid overeating during the day. Oh and the snack bars are very useful for those times offices have doughnuts or cake on offer - much better for me to have a slimfast snack bar.

I have tried packing lunches but they go bad in the car in the sun or I forget or do not have enough time in the morning or forget to buy stuff or ... the list is endless and always end with me starving and buying something bad.

I stock up when I have coupons or they are on sale and compared to buying fast food they are very cheap! Although I wonder what the cashiers think when they look at me and at my million boxes of slimfast
Harriette is offline   Reply With Quote