Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 11:53 AM   #1  

Default Yoga... Questions

I'm a new member here, and just starting a personal program to try and lose wieght. One of the things I've gotten recently is a couple of yoga tapes.

I tried one last night. WOW. It was labled as a beginner tape, but I was sweating by the end. It felt good though. I finally felt like I was at least doing SOMETHING.

Here's my questions for any yoga people out there...

1) Where should I stop a stretch? The tapes offer no help here. Do I stetch to where it pulls or just below that? I know I shouldn't be in intense pain but should I have any?

2) Is there any modified form of the 'plank' position that someone with NO upper body strenght and little ab strength can do? Or do I just keep attempting it?

3) How long should I do it? I have 4 20min. programs. Should I only do one program, or two?

These are just some basic questions really. I'm a little green when it comes to anything fitness.

Thanks in advanced.

Melissa
Old 06-01-2003, 08:23 PM   #2  
"L" in Loser!

I'm curious on your questions as well. I rented a yoga tape from the library and man o man..was it something. I only did the first part and my legs were so sore the next day...and this is after the past 2 months of weight training and jogging!
Old 06-02-2003, 04:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

1) Where should I stop a stretch? The tapes offer no help here. Do I stetch to where it pulls or just below that? I know I shouldn't be in intense pain but should I have any?

I would stop a stretch as soon as you feel a nice pull. Don't push too hard or you'll hurt yourself, but it you don't push at all, you won't progress. In yoga, you can use your breath to go deeper into the stretch. Slightly relax the stretch on the inhale and fall deeper into the stretch on the exhale. If you hold a position for several breaths you can slowly ease deeper into it without hurting yourself.

2) Is there any modified form of the 'plank' position that someone with NO upper body strenght and little ab strength can do? Or do I just keep attempting it?

Try the plank with your knees on the floor, kind of a like a "girl pushup." After you feel comfortable in the modified plank, lift up to your toes & hold the full plank for as long as you can, then put your knees back down.

3) How long should I do it? I have 4 20min. programs. Should I only do one program, or two?

I would start with one 20 minute program & gradually work your way up. Like anything, you do not want to over exert yourself in the beginning & risk injury.

Good Luck!

Old 06-03-2003, 09:26 AM   #4  

I don't do yoga, but I do pilates. I have about 4 or 5 DVD's and I alternate the workout depending on my mood. They all have different workouts but several of the exercises seem to be "standard". I don't know if this is the best way but it keeps me interested and I like change.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:05 AM   #5  

Genesis- Thanks for the info. I'll try that with the plank. I've been skipping that part because I just can't hold the position for one breath let alone the 2 or 3 that the tape is going for.

I've been doing a different 20 minute program each day. I tell you what... I feel a difference. It's only been about 5 times but I feel a difference in my posture as I sit or walk. I feel myself sitting straighter, walking straighter. Not to mention the relaxation I feel afterward. I feel full of energy, yet in a relaxed type of mindset. It actually surprised me.

Caledon- What exactly IS pilates? I've heard the word a lot but have no clue what it is.

Also does anyone know anything about Tai Chi? I've heard about it but not done much research on it.
Closed Thread