Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 07:00 PM   #1  

Default Newbie saying hello

Hi All!

Made the commitment to get it together and started yesterday. Did anyone catch that Oprah episode on Friday? "Silent Killers" or something like that....scared the **** out of me.

So, this is me....about 150 lbs to lose. Actually went to the gym yesterday and worked out. Yeah, nothing is more humbling than admitting I had to really work to do 10 minutes on the bike. Can't help but ask, "how did I get this bad?"

I swore to myself that I would stick with this until my birthday in August. No bs, no excuses, no giving up....no quick fixes.

Glad to see that I'm not alone!

Deb
6/1/ 2003 325
Old 06-02-2003, 07:13 PM   #2  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hi Deb!

Welcome!! This is a great place ~ everyone is wonderful ~ supportive, encouraging and friendly. It is so helpful to be able to talk with others who are going through or have had some of the same feelings about this journey as you may have.

Join in, post often and enjoy.

Gayle
Old 06-02-2003, 07:13 PM   #3  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Hi Deb,

Welcome to the forum! Its a great bunch of ladies and a couple of token males. It takes time, but I'm sure you will see how motivating it will be when you are flying on that exercise bike...

Matt
Old 06-02-2003, 07:27 PM   #4  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Hey Deb!

I saw your profile on the profile thread. I, too, am a teacher in need of a job. I'm certified 4-8, plus 7-12 in English and Social Studies. I just finished almost two years of teaching fifth grade at an awful, awful school, and I'm currently hoping to get into a high school. What do you teach?
Old 06-02-2003, 07:35 PM   #5  

Welcome and good luck! I have lost 60 lbs so far and still have about 150 to go. Its a long hard road but here there is alot of sympathetic ears and sholders to cry on.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:42 PM   #6  
wsw

welcome, deb! hope you have much success on this weight loss journey. all the best, wsw.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:51 PM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Welcome, Deb!! Don't worry about only being able to do 10 minutes--it's better than nothing & it adds up!!!
Old 06-02-2003, 07:59 PM   #8  

Hi Deb! Welcome welcome welcome. I saw that Oprah show too and felt renewed motivation to keep up with the weightloss and healthy lifestyle.

Proud of you for doing your 10 minutes. What Bob Greene said was "Move More and Eat less." No matter to what degree, if you do that, you're going to get healthier.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

Hey Deb! I caught that Oprah show too. It was really weird, that girl on there that'd had the 2 'silent heart attacks'. My mother had to be taken to the hospital about a month ago with something similar that happened with her. She's Type II diabetic with high blood pressure and she was just sitting in the recliner watching TV and her chest started hurting real bad. She said it felt like somebody stabbing her, it felt so bad. They ran some tests on her, but never would really tell her anything. She's supposed to go this Friday for a stress test, and wants me to go with her now that I'm up in this fitness/weight losing kick to ask the doctor some questions like I was asking her about that thing last month. I'm only 22, and my mom's 44, so we're both fairly young. Just that one segment of the Oprah show, and seeing all that my mom experiences with her stuff, it just keeps me motivated really, I guess, so maybe I can be the one to keep it from being an 'inherited' disease.

~*Cat*~
Old 06-02-2003, 08:38 PM   #10  
Student of the Hoof

Hi Deb! Welcome to 3FC! When I first decided to do something about my weight, I weighed 245 and I couldn't walk on a treadmill for more than 5 minutes. That was a long time ago. I kept at it, and 6 months later I was interval training for 45 minutes at a time. It takes perseverance and getting your priorities straight, and you can do it. I think you'll find a lot of support, information, and just friendly folks here to keep you going when you feel blah. I know I sure have.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

welcome, i love your username! jump right in =)
Old 06-03-2003, 12:44 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

oh deb. my heart goes out to you!!! when i started this journey, my exercise consisted of taking deep breaths a few times an hour. and then i started walking 10 steps at a time. 10 minutes on a treadmill seemed like an impossibility!!!

SO just keep going. add a little at a time, as it feels comfortable. that means that when it gets too easy, bump it up a bit, either in terms of time/distance or resistance.

oh. and now, i feel almost like superwoman!!!! I hiked for more than an hour this morning, up steep grades. and then spent nearly two hours lifting weights this evening [i'm up to 200 ab crunches at 40 pounds and 220 pounds on the leg press!!!!!.. what a shock that i can actually do this!!!!!]

so, just take it slowly and steadily. it'll all be ok. i promise.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:40 AM   #13  
Lil Hippie Vegan Mommy

Hi Deb...welcome I just joined not too long ago myself and I already can say that this is an amazing group and so supportive!

Congrats on the big decision to make some changes...WTG!!!!

I didn't see the Oprah program, but my mom did. She has type II diabetes and has also made the decision to start her life over again!!! I am so excited for her...AND FOR YOU! It's awesome to know that the program touched two lives that I know of and HUNDREDS that I don't!!!
Old 06-03-2003, 11:58 AM   #14  
Losin It For GOOD!

Hey Deb and welcome!

You can do this - and great job for taking the first steps of going to the gym!
Old 06-03-2003, 12:12 PM   #15  

Welcome Deb! Great first steps, keep up the good work!
Closed Thread