General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #1  
Releasing the inner hiker

Default Silence is Golden?

I'm pretty sure I'm abnormal in this desire, but thought I'd ask around. I hate superfluous noise. When my television is on, the volume needs to be low. I often drive without music on. And, what I think is most abnormal, I hate to exercise to music. When I go out for a walk, I want to hear the wind, the birds, the silence. I hate earbuds and can't imagine walking around with them on. Don't get me wrong, I love music and spends lots of time listening to music, but I also enjoy hearing nothing.

It surprises me how many people always seem "connected" to sound, even needing noise to get to sleep. I know I must be in the minority with this based solely on my observations of others.

What role does music/sound play in your life? In case it matters to anyone, I'm in my late 30s and single.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #2  
banned

I agree with most of what you said, though there are times when I like soft sounds when going to sleep (tv with a timer set). I also don't listen to music when I walk, though I love music. I'm one of those people that sing constantly. lol. The television needs to be pretty low when I watch it, unless it's one of those movies that sound like everyone's whispering constantly. The only time I really listen to loud music is when I'm cleaning, but I can't leave it loud for too long or I will get a headache. Because of my aversion to loud sounds/tv/music people often think I'm irritable, even though I just want to be comfortable.

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 06-26-2011 at 08:03 PM.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #3  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I don't like noise or loud people but I have to have the radio on or tv at all times. I have a radio in my kitchen and bedroom that are on 24/7. Can not go to sleep without music and have been this way since I was a teenager. I LOVE music! Walking outdoors is usually the only time I don't listen to it, unless I walk alone. Even then most of the time I like to be aware of my surroundings so don't listen to music. But exercising indoors, the music motivates/energizes me.

The tv I like low if it is too loud it gives me a headache but I usually have it on if in the living room. For a while I had one in the bedroom and would set the timer and go to sleep with it on, not anymore. I did it moreso when my son was in Iraq to keep my mind off of the situation over there and so I wouldn't worry myself to death. But now it is just the radio...just don't care for complete silence in the house.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 364/353/165

Height: 5'6"

If I'm not trying to sleep, I must have some sort of noise going. Couldn't stand driving without the radio on! I don't have to be paying attention, but my tv or radio must be on after I'm out of bed :* Now, if I'm trying to go to sleep, I can't stand even the slightest sound-lol
Kitsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I don't mind listening to the radio at work, we listen to news and music sometimes, but I definitely can appreciate working without either, and sometimes would just prefer to turn off the dang thing. I get that it helps others socially to have it one, so I usually just turn it off when I'm alone. I watch tv or listen to the radio at the gym because it makes the time go faster (and I don't stare at the countdown clock as much, ha); at home, I like to knit without tv or radio, very relaxing.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #6  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I cant speak for anyone else..but im one that has to have music on or something on that i can listen to ..Even when in school i was the same way and same thing for going to sleep.. I think for me..i need the mental stimulation from it..I find i have more energy when i hear noise..when i dont hear anything..the room feels dead..it doesnt feel full of life to me..Maybe its because my house was so quiet growing up as a child..so lifeless.. i dont know...
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i enjoy a bit of silence here and there...i don't get much because i work with children and also have children of my own...always have music on in my car...i tend to keep the TV low or off unless the kids are actually watching it and i don't play music at home because the kids just tend to talk louder and over it...i dont like walking etc with earbuds on because i want to be aware of my surroundings....i dont like any noise when i'm going to sleep though, but when i was younger it was okay, i could sleep through practically anything when i was in college but not so much anymore lol

on the other hand, my DH has sensory disorder which makes all noise much more overwhelming to him, as well as crowds of people....he doesn't like much noise unless he specifically chooses noise for a reason (like headphones on to play a video game) and even then he takes them off after a bit...he doesn't like much light (keeps the blinds shut if i let him) and doesn't like to be in large social places, or sometimes even small gatherings
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Height: 5'3"

I can't sleep with the tv on or any light, but I do find that a little white noise (ie ceiling fan) helps me sleep. Or rain, storms. Ahhhh. Love it. As far as other things are concerned - I'm not a big fan of loud people!
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #9  
focused.

S/C/G: 125/65/65 (kg)

Height: 1.73/5'8"

silence (when i am alone) freaks me out. There is no way i can fall asleep without noise (traffic works just fine for me). I love music and whatever activity i m doing, i ll prolly listen to it. But when with company, i enjoy silence and dont find it awkward at all.
I guess when i am alone i feel the need to be less alone and music or noise helps.
Engraved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 247/230/140

Height: 5'1"

I'm abnormal right along with you, Zeitgeist! Especially after a long day in the beehive environment where I work, "uncharged" soundspace is not only a blessing, but a necessity. My car is my quiet zone; I rarely have the radio or CD player on. At home, I have no need of background TV/radio; we have a bird feeder in the back yard, and I love to listen to the birds, especially the mourning doves. The sound of rain is very relaxing to me, too.

So of course I'm married to a 24/7 sound-surrounder! We compromise about certain things (especially the "right after work" time for me, and his need to keep the radio on low overnight), and try to be flexible and attentive to each other's needs.

PS---LOVE your avatar!!!!
cynnymynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #11  
Releasing the inner hiker

Alaskanlaughter, I've wondered sometimes if I have sensory issues, as noise can be really overwhelming for me on occasion. However, I also wonder if it is a product of my age/background. I didn't grow up with constant access to music and television, so it never became a habit.

My biggest awe, though, is seeing people hiking/walking for pleasure with earbuds. I can totally understand (and would also) exercise to music/tv if I was on a treadmill, elliptical, or something similar. However, the great outdoors is a different story. I always feel so lucky to be out in nature and love listening and paying attention to the sounds (or lack thereof) around me. I just can't imagine desiring to tune that out for even my favorite songs.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I like music a lot but I think I'm unique in that I'm not obsessed with it. I guess I know a lot of obsessed people. I have to listen to music in the car for some reason but I never listen to music at work or walking. At home, I like to have music on but I don't need it. My husband on the other hand, likes to listen to music at work and at home. He doesn't do music outdoors though.

When I visit my parents, it annoys me a bit that they always have to have a TV on. If I'm in a room, my mom will even come in and put the tv on.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #13  
Made of Starstuff

I love music. I love working out to it, love to have it playing while I'm using the computer, love to have it in the car.

I cannot listen to music when I read, though. That's a must-be-quiet time for me.

I do sometimes like to turn off all human made noise and listen to the quiet. This is mostly true for walks outdoors.

At bedtime, the most noise I can stand is a fan. Other than that I like quiet at night.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

When I am hiking or just walking outside, I like to not have music playing. But, that said, when I am running, any motivation I can get to get through the run successfully and happily is one with music (for the most part, 1 run a week usually I don't have music). I also listen to music during my kettlebell workouts. I don't like unnecessary noise around the house. Everyone else just leaves the TV on and it drives me crazy, so I turn it off it nobody is watching it unless someone requests it stay on. I also play music sometimes during the day, but it's pretty balanced with silence. I like both. They both have their place.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #15  
banned

I don't listen to music when I walk/run outside, either. I thought I would be the kind of person to need extra stimulation, because I was used to only walking with my husband, but when I go alone I feel comfortable only listening to the sounds of nature. This morning was wonderful. It was raining, and there was thunder rolling all around me. It was wonderful until the rain got so hard I became soaked. lol.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote