Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default ack--hit a wall--on DAY TWO!!

Hi!

I have Beck's pink book out of the library. I'm doing my best to actually do the steps instead of reading the whole thing first and then promising myself to "go back and do it."

I have my primary plan picked out--I want to do a portion controlled 1800 calorie a day program. I'm using the configuration set out by Bob Greene in his Best Life Diet. What I do is make up a food chart (based on the one I have from the weight watchers program I followed in the 80's, but modified!) with room to record what I eat on top--then on the bottom there are boxes for my portions to check off as I eat them.

The plan has worked well for me in the past. The first time I used it, back in the late 80's, I lost about 80 pounds and kept it off for 10 years.

The plan is hard to follow, though in two respects: 1) mixed foods, like a shrimp salad can be hard to figure out, eg, how many ounces or protein, how many servings of pasta, etc. Since we eat at home 29/30 days a month, it isn't a HUGE issue.

2) Beans and such are really difficult to figure out--are they carbs or protein?

It occurs to me that my "back up" plan could simply be a calorie counting type enterprise--yet I am scared to death of the "freedom" I feel that gives me. I need structure to be successful--(but not restrictions--if that makes sense to you).

Anyway, any thoughts out there on what my back up plan should be/could be?

Thanks.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Hi Alana -

Kudos for taking your journey throught the Beck plan serious enough to tie down your two diet choices.

Calorie counting seems like a great back up plan. I understand your concern about being to un-constrained; it's possible to stick to a calorie total with fifteen 100 calorie candy bars, which is unlikely to lead to a long term loss or maintenance.

Have you considered calorie counting with a plan for your food choices? Something like the lastest government pyramid or the 100 best superfoods?

Whatever - good luck in making your choice.

And feel free to drop in to our monthly thread - you don't have to be at a particular place in the book, and you don't have to write personal response. Just drop by when that feels like the right thing to do.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #3  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Alana

Welcome.

My thought on reading your post was ... wait a minute... you have the first two weeks to focus only on Beck strategies before you commit to a foodplan. So take the time and ease into Beck and do what feels right to you now and take the two weeks to decide on your plans. The strategies will help you create the structure to be successful with whatever healthy foodplan you choose. Make the Beck tasks be your first priority right now. It's worth it to focus there only--they will carry you forward.

I look forward to your progress!
onebyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #4  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Thank you both very much. I am trying to do the thing I am supposed to do that day before moving on, but this whole choose the diet thing de-railed me. I will give myself more time to think about the "back-up" diet plan--after all, I do have my primary one in place and I started re-reading Greene's book "The Best Life Diet" where he outlines its core.

And I'll keep reading.

We're going camping next week until the 15th or so. I mildly freaking out about it. As I mentioned, the book is from the library and due back while we'll be away. So, I'm not sure whether I can even finish the book--or even take it with me. I guess I should call the library and find out if I can renew it....

Edited to add--Just did--I can continue until the 21st of July, now. Hooray!

Thanks for the invite to join you in the monthly discussion thread. Are there any plans to break that up into a weekly format? I find it unweildly and difficult to follow.

Sorry, that sounds like I'm complaining and I don't mean to!

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 06-30-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: clarification. added info
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

Hi Alana,
I follow the calorie counting and it works really well for me. To keep track of my healthy requirements and ensure I don't fill up on granola bars I keep a running tally on the side of my notebook. I need 5 fruits/vegetables, 2 servings of milk, 6 bottles of water, vitamin, and lean protein. I won't allow myself to have "useless" calories (sweets, granola bars etc) until I've met my healthy requirements. It sounds like you need a lot of structure, but it also seems very complicated for every day life, and for a long term plan. I hope this helps, and good luck to you!
ovwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #6  
Suz

S/C/G: 175/128/120

Height: 5'6"

Agree with the pro-calorie-counting folks. I found that when I tried to make things too complicated, I felt very overwhelmed and quickly became frustrated. I then started just by calorie counting, and THEN, once I got the hang of that (food diary can be overwhelming enough!), I started to look at how I could better tweak the diet to accommodate recommended servings, fiber intake, etc.

You can do this.
RowdyBliss is offline   Reply With Quote