General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:17 AM   #1  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Unhappy Please say this isn't true!

"The National Institute of Health, which is backed up by many other similar studies, shows that 98% of all who are obese eventually regain the weight they have lost, and of that 98%, 90% of those end up putting on more weight than they originally had. This means that you only have a 2% chance of keeping it off for good."

This is kind of depressing. I know you can be one of those 2%, that that is up to YOU, no statistic can change you and what you want to do to yourself, and for yourself. It's like college, 70% (or something) drop out in the first two years... it doesn't mean I can't be on of the 30% that graduate, that's MY choice...

If this is a fact, it's sad. Mostly because I did lose weight, then I GAINED more than I lost, I'm back to losing and I plan to keep it off, but this scares me. It scares me that the statistics are against me...
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:39 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Are the statistics true? Maybe. Is weight loss against us? Possibly.

Lots of things in the world are "against" us.

But, I don't like statistic studies for many reasons. Often because of the way the studies were done, or the wording used by reporters who end up misinterpreting said study or sensationalizing a small part of it.

It reminds me of the story of the inventor who... invented something... and I can't remember what the thing was... but he ended up doing it, because he HADN'T read the published book out there stating why it was impossible said thing he already invented couldn't exist.

It's always good to know when it's the right time to ignore the "facts" about weight loss statistics, and just do it anyways.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 306/240/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post

But, I don't like statistic studies for many reasons. Often because of the way the studies were done, or the wording used by reporters who end up misinterpreting said study or sensationalizing a small part of it.
Exactly.

Whenever someone starts blattering on about statistics I immediately tune out because there's too many ways people can manipulate data to get exactly the results they're looking for. For example, if I were to poll only maintainers on this forum for a study my findings would be significantly different than theirs. How big was the sample of people they interviewed for this study? Where were they located? Their age? Sex? All these things matter.

Another important factor is HOW they lost the weight. It's been proven that people who merely diet (as opposed to making lifestyle changes such as a sustainable, healthy diet, exercise on a regular basis, etc) have a higher chance of gaining the weight back once they lose it because they go back to the same unhealthy things that got them fat in the first place, don't continue to work out because "it's no longer necessary" and so on.

I'd also bet that none of our maintainers here who have kept off the weight (or any other similar weight-loss forum) have ever been polled by this organization. And at the end of the day it really doesn't matter because it will boil down to you, willpower, and making the lifestyle changes you need to make so you're able to keep the weight off once it's gone. Don't knock yourself out of the ring before the fight even begins.
Kaonashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Well said Kaonashi...well said.
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

There have been a couple of times in my life when I have done something extraordinary. I'm sure many of us have had that experience. I think that weight loss will be one of those instances as long as I actively maintain. The weight gain seems to go hand in hand with most people's attitudes that you diet, reach a goal, and then don't do anything to maintain the loss.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/149/130

Height: 5"7 , BodyFat%: 24.8 Goal%: 15

I believe that's because most of these people don't learn, or grow emotionally from losing weight, reverting to old ways and not dealing with the real issues like depression, bad self image, low confidence, daddy issues, you name it... I think it's important to actually seek out counselling to find out why we let ourselves become overweight, resolve them and move on.... It could be many other things though.
CeciliaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Here's how I look at it - I'm not in control of anyone else but me. Furthermore, I'm not in control of the next year, 2 years, or 10 years. I'm in control of my behavior for today. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and exercise. One day at a time.

I find it pretty self-defeating to focus on the negative statistics, so I choose not to. I focus on the positive behaviors I can incorporate in my life right now to stay at maintenance.

Also, I completely agree with JessLess - there are other things in my life that would be considered "exceptional": I have a master's degree (only around 8% of adults Americans have a master's); I lived overseas for 4 years as an adult; I speak Chinese (yes, those two are related ) . . . my point is, those things are a part of me now, and are statistically against the "norm." I consider my weight loss maintenance to be part of that category.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #8  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

I get thrown by somethings when they ring true for me. I did lose weight, I gained more back. I guess this is why it stung...

Thank you everyone for being obvious and logical about it. =)
Reporters can and do manipulate anything to write a story, statistics really don't calculate accurately, and you are in charge of your life.

JenMusic Chinese... AWESOME. Hard language, and I hope to join you in a year or so for the 8% with a Masters. =)
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 208(preg)/179/135?

Height: 5'3"

Kuri-

How did you lose the weight, and how did you gain it back? My girlfriend crash diets all the time, and will gain back what she lost in a short duration to include gaining even more than she had lost.

These past couple of weeks, I have not been eating correctly or exercising to the point I should be, guess what, I have gained. If I continue on the routine I have been practicing, of course I will gain it all back.
ryeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think the statistics are important. I don't think 98% of obese people are lazy, crazy, or stupid. I think there are a lot of reasons that weight loss (the way it tends to be done) doesn't work. For too long, we've ignored the "why nots" and just told people that if they failed it was because they didn't want it bad enough, or didn't work hard enough for it. It inspires people to try harder, but using the the same strategies they found ineffective the first time and the first ten dozen times.

I've failed at weight loss for 35 years, and it wasn't because I didn't want it badly enough, or didn't work hard enough. I failed because I used strategies that were ultimately ineffective. To succeed I had to find a new way to lose weight, and in many ways it's the exact opposite of what I was taught about weight loss. I never would have found what works for me, if I would have followed "common wisdom," and popular diet advice. To get different results, I had to find a different way.

Many books were inspired me on my way to learning a new way, but one of the best was Barbara Berkeley's "Refuse to Regain," even though it's a book about weight maintenance (one of the extremely few books on maintenance rather than weight loss. I've only ever heard of three). It should be required reading for every dieter, whether or not they've lost any weight to maintain.

One of my main changes was considering maintenance important from the very first pound. My first job isn't weight loss, it's to maintain the loss I've already acheived (and maybe lose one more pound). With each pound I lose, maintenance is always top priority, weight loss second. As a result, I never feel "I've blown it. I'll never reach my goal weight. I'm always going to be fat. If I'm going to be fat anyway, I might as well at least get to eat what I want, so what does it matter if I regain."

It matters. Every pound, every ounce matters. And most of us AREN'T hearing, thinking, and believing that. We still in our culture tend to value only the end result, not the progress. That has to change. As long as people believe that only goal weight counts as success, there are going to be a lot of people who give up when they start to doubt that success is possible (because they haven't seen their progress as success).

I now know that I am going to be in the 2%, because I have absolutely no doubt that I will not regain unless I allow myself to believe that only goal weight counts for anything. As long as I remember and believe that every pound counts, I am going to act that way. If however, I go with popular opinion, I'm going to give up - because that's how weight loss is commonly done in our culture. We set ourselves up for failure, by deciding that a mistake means we've blown it, and might as well binge until we're ready to start fresh (which usually means once we've gained all the weight back, plus a little extra).

If you follow the pattern that 98% of us follow (because it's the path we've seen 98% of those before us follow), they you're going to get the 98% results. You have to find the less-traveled path. A new and different way.

I've found my path, and it doesn't lead to failure. I'll only fail if I follow the road almost everyone else is on.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'm not going to worry about stats any more. When I was first dx'd I was angry and depressed.

PCOS stats are horrible. For miscarriages, inability breastfeed and risk for heart attacks and diabetes and on and on.

Yet I nursed my kid and so far no heart problems. I'm also not Type II and I've got my IR under control.

I've also lost before to very close to goal, and while I have NOT mastered maintaining, I do know how to lose. Even though it took my 5 christmas seasons to figure that out so I could come out of it without a gain.

So however long it takes me to lose AND master maintaining, I'm still going to give it a try.

Stats be damned.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #12  

I always figured you just have to go on 98 diets before you hit that one that lasts

but think about all the things that took a few tries. Like finding the right man. If someone had told you that you had to go on 98 first dates first would you think it's impossible?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:43 PM   #13  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Kurisutaru (is your name Crystal?), I worry all the time about that. This is Significant Weight Loss #3 and I am still "trying" to lose but struggling to maintain. My yo-yo is within a 20-30 lb range. I've never been obese but it is the same sad story, diet-binge-diet-binge-regain-diet-diet-diet-regain etc.

I figure what happens is going to happen, and I will do what I can to ensure that "what happens" is not total regain.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #14  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

I don't read statistics, and I don't concern myself with other people's issues on weight loss. Yes at times we as humans lose the weight and gain it back if not more. I am a perfect senario to that. when I was in college I went up to 160 about where I am now and lost all my weight and had an amazing body.

It wasn't long I went back into MY old habits and gained double the weight and it wasn't because of what statistic's said or what the media says or what anyone else had to say for a matter of fact. (which of course statistic say that and it happened but mostly it was because of ME!) I got to my goal and I STOPPED working out, and I STOPPED eating right and doing this a second time around I hope I have learned from my mistakes. So can statistics be right? Of course but are they the reason why we all gain our weight back after we lose it. Nope we're at fault here.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeciliaM View Post
I believe that's because most of these people don't learn, or grow emotionally from losing weight, reverting to old ways and not dealing with the real issues like depression, bad self image, low confidence, daddy issues, you name it... I think it's important to actually seek out counselling to find out why we let ourselves become overweight, resolve them and move on.... It could be many other things though.
Agreed
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote