Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-25-2011, 02:41 AM   #1  

Default would i be able to lose 20-30 lbs in 3 months?

I'm spending 45 minutes on the eliptical and 30 minutes lifting weights mon-thurs and zumba for one hour and lift weights for half an hour on fridays, and swim for an hour and half on saturdays. I've also been eat lots of fruits and veggies too and hardly eating unhealthy things. i'm 5'9 and weigh 170. would i be able to lose 20-30 lbs by the middle of september by doing that? most of my fat is on my thighs and legs. Any tips? I'm aiming for a lifestyle change. Would i be able to achieve my goal weight of 140 by mid september/early october?
xl0velym3rm4idx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:48 AM   #2  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

you know, if you were starting at a higher weight, i'd say absolutely, but i'm not so sure if you can swing it at 170 lbs at that height. maybe 15 lbs? just keep at it and you'll lose weight no matter what -- the date that you achieve your goal isn't all that important.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I think probably not.
1. From your height and weight - it would be different if you were my height (5'2") and my weight (187), although even then, 20 would be more likely than 30.
2. With great respect, I think you need to be a lot more definite about the food you're eating: eating fruit and veg and "hardly any unhealthy things" is not specific enough. Quantity, quality and calorific composition of what you eat are hugely important in weightloss, it's too easy to mistake what is and isn't unhealthy - setting aside deep-fried Mars Bars of course !!!! Of course, you may know all this and be eating a stunningly controlled diet!

However, don't not start for fear of not losing enough. If you lose half your dream weighloss, you will be so much better off than now, weightwise.

And, because I'm nosy, what's happening September/October? Is it something nice?

and good luck!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

20 maybe, 30 probably not. At 5'9" you are just barely overweight.

Last edited by bargoo; 06-25-2011 at 08:45 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

I do not know if you will lose 20 - 30 lbs in 3 months. If you exercise like that and are eating healthy you will lose weight.
The way I look at it is in 3 months, I will either weigh the same as I do now, more than I weigh now, or less than I weigh now. My daily eating and exercising choices effect that, and I CHOOSE to weigh less than I do now in 3 months. Will I be 20 - 30 lbs lighter? That would be great. As long as I have continued downward progress toward my goals I will be happy.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Agree with Rosinante that it's less about how much you exercise and more about HOW MUCH food you are eating. You could eat tons of fruits, veggies, complex carbs, and protein, but eat too much of it. Or you could eat more "unhealthy" foods and lose weight.

It comes down to calories, not virtuous foods and daily exercise.

Also, I had almost your BMI when I first started and it's taken me 6 months to lose 11 pounds. I'm saying this not to be discouraging, but to be realistic. Losing weight takes a LONG TERM COMMITMENT and a healthy understanding that you won't see drops of 3-5 lbs every week... or even every month.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

You stated you are trying to make a lifestyle change. If that is truly the case then there is no need to jump in head first. YEs definitely focus on eating healthy and exercising but you don't have to kill yourself everyday in the gym. Focusing on diet and exercise you are guaranteed to lose weight. But if its a lifestyle change it will happen but when it happens isn't as important. Good LUck
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I would say no, and the reason why has nothing to do with your beginning weight or any of your stats, because I think if you stuck to a low calorie diet, with NO cheats, slips or splurges, and worked very hard, you could probably do it. It's just that 99.9% of the new members who start their first post as "Can I lose____pounds in ____time", never stick around. You hear from them for a few posts and poof, they are gone never to heard from again. Now maybe they all went and reached their goals, but I doubt it.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-25-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #9  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

If you are aiming for a lifestyle change, the first thing to do is to train yourself away from thinking in terms of time-linked weight goals. "Lose 30 pounds by September" isn't lifestyle-change thinking. Instead, focus on behaviors, and let the weight loss follow as it will.

You've got an exercise plan and the beginnings of an eating plan - that's great. Focus on setting up your environment and your schedule so that you can stick to those plans. If you can do that, the weight loss will come.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
It's just that 99.9% of the new members who start their first post as "Can I lose____pounds in ____time", never stick around. You hear from them for a few posts and poof, they are gone never to heard from again.
Sadly... this.

I guess it all comes down to what people are aiming to do by joining 3FC. The people I see sticking around more are the ones who rarely have a "time limit" on losing weight. The overall idea is that making healthy changes daily for the rest of their lives will help them to take off the excess pounds and get to goal weight and stay there forever.

What are you really aiming to do? Lose 20 pounds in 3 months?

Sure. You could do it. Anything is possible. But, I can't promise you that you wouldn't gain it back if your focus is just losing some pounds quickly.

Do you want to eventually lose 20 pounds and keep it off? Then we might be able to help more.

Have a healthy food plan. Have a maintainable exercise plan. And mentally prepare yourself that it might take a while. Changes don't happen overnight, but if we're aiming for a lifestyle change, then it doesn't matter if it takes a year to get off 20 pounds, because those 20 pounds will never be seen again.

Best of wishes with your plans =)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 206/194/130

Height: 5'2

Well I agree with the advice you've been given so far, about thinking long term and taking your time, not depriving yourself etc. Your weight is much more likely to stay off for good if you go that route. That said, yes it's definitely possible to lose that much in 3 months. Are you trying to be that thin for a certain event? I know that in a little less than three months I'm going on vacation, so I'm trying to pump up the weight loss to get to that point... but I'm planning on going back to steady -and maybe slower than I'd like- after. I've learned if I'm too strict I'm more likely to binge.

Anyway, years ago I went from 142-122 in less than two months, and I wasn't even super restrictive. I've often lost 10+ pounds in a month. So yes you probably can too. But try to keep in mind all the other advice you've been given, b/c you want it to last!! Good luck!
RJ 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
I would say no, and the reason why has nothing to do with your beginning weight or any of your stats, because I think if you stuck to a low calorie diet, with NO cheats, slips or splurges, and worked very hard, you could probably do it. It's just that 99.9% of the new members who start their first post as "Can I lose____pounds in ____time", never stick around. You hear from them for a few posts and poof, they are gone never to heard from again. Now maybe they all went and reached their goals, but I doubt it.
I very much agree. Those who start out with very high unrealistic goals are the first to fail. And when they experience a setback, they just give up because their goal is so high, they easily get overwhelmed.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote