General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #1  

Default Job offer: I smell trouble??

I am please to say I got offered the position of program director at the Y I've worked at for 2 years. It's basically me getting my boss's job.

Woohoo. Not.

When I do the math, I would make more money and have way less responsibility and more flexibility with my hours if I stayed with my current job and just upped my hours (totally doable), taught the same # of classes (more are available) and did personal training (on my way to getting cerified). In fact, it would be possible for me to make even MORE money than my supervisor under these three jobs.

They are deciding whether or not to let me add to the current salary offer. If they do, that means they owe me benefits. But the bennies are less than the income potential!

What's going on? This is a non-profit YMCA. I don't understand non profits. Anyone here can help me get it? I am thinking I will let this job offer go.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #2  
Every moment is a choice

S/C/G: 450/tracker/??

Height: 5' 6"

There is a third choice, other than accept or reject their offer. In my experience in the private sector initial job offers will be at the minimum salary range for the position or the minimum which they believe you might accept. Negotiating for a better salary or otherwise improved compensation package is expected. Rather than turn them down, you might consider making a counter-offer which includes your wish list of improvements to the compensation...flexible hours, a bonus based on your performance, additional paid time off, whatever you think is missing.
Good luck!
Snap
Snaplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm not saying this is always the case, but sometimes it's good in the long run to take a job with "director" or "manager" in the title, even if one must trade off responsibilities. Depends on what your career goals are. But managing people, overseeing a site, concerning oneself with hiring & budgeting & etc. are a good skill set to have when the next supervisory-level position comes along, with even higher level of pay.

Sounds like you have decided not to take the job already. But I did want to throw in that intangible aspect, which doesn't work out to immediate dollars & cents.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #4  

Snap, at the moment of the offer, I already countered and got an initial "no" but "they'll see".
Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 208(preg)/179/135?

Height: 5'3"

I am with saef, is it worth while in the long run?

I personally took a job, knowing it would be a pay cut for the first couple of years, but in the long run I will make more and have more flexibility.

As for the three jobs you are saying could make you more money, this is completely dependant on the demand of the gym. If the classes are not being filled, they will cancel. I have seen personal trainers come and go in my gym. Good luck with your final decision.
ryeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #6  
Every moment is a choice

S/C/G: 450/tracker/??

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness4life View Post
Snap, at the moment of the offer, I already countered and got an initial "no" but "they'll see".
Ah that doesn't sound encouraging...

Saef and ryeb make a really good point. Is the potential long term gain worth taking a dip in your income in the short term?
That's a tough decision for sure.
I look forward to hearing how it works out for you.

Snap
Snaplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #7  

Long term: Who knows. We've been operating at a loss for years. There is no certainty this Y will exist in the next few years.

I'm meeting with a board member for lunch, then I'm going to meet with the executive branch director to discuss this further.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree with the others being able to add Program Director to your resume will help you in the future.

Last edited by bargoo; 06-24-2011 at 01:32 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #9  

So...they must really want me because they upped the offer. It still is breadcrumbs, but my heart is really in it, plus I do NOT want to have to deal with an outsider (idiot) for a boss if I say no.

So on Monday, I will accept their offer.

Thanks for all your input!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #10  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

In my company, management always makes way less than those of us who are hourly paid (because they are salaried they don't qualify for OT), so most of us turn down opportunities to "advance". However the folks that are planning on leaving the company at sometime in the future are willing to take the pay cut for a few years to get those management skills saef referred to that results in better jobs somewhere else later.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
So...they must really want me because they upped the offer. It still is breadcrumbs, but my heart is really in it, plus I do NOT want to have to deal with an outsider (idiot) for a boss if I say no.

Congratulations !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:

Congrats! Kick some job butt!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote