Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

Question Tips to avoid indulging

I am just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to avoid indulging. I'm entering a grad program and my hours are getting longer and longer. I'm stressed and anxious about my research, writing, AND I'm getting married next month! By the end of the day, I just feel like I DESERVE a treat, whether it be a candy bar, doritos, or a beer to unwind. How to I distract myself from these cravings and this feeling like I should indulge because I deserve it for all the hard work I'm doing? I know many other people have it much worse than me! Any ideas?
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

"Treat" doesn't have to mean food/drink, though I realize it takes a lifetime of undoing thought patterns to get to that point (I also do this). A corny idea would be to take your beer/candy bar money and put it in an envelope every time you crave a caloric indulgence, and after you've saved up some see how much you didn't blow on stuff that will make you feel less comfortable in your own wedding gown.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding/grad school! You can handle this like a champ.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #3  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

You are absolutely right. You do deserve a treat!!! But I agree with Krampus, treat does not have to come in food form. Do something that you love to do or that makes you feel great- get a pedicure, download some music, get a new book, ignore your cell phone for 2 hours (well, these are the things that I like ).

And props for juggling everything in your life right now. It sounds like a lot, but it's nothing you can't handle!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #4  
SereneCalorieCounter

S/C/G: 180/138/142

Height: 5'6"

As well as the good advice given by previous posters, I would add: if you can't take time out for spacial activities at those times you want to snack, you could keep some really nice low-calorie indulgences on hand: Chocolate chip rice cakes (60 calories and YUMMY), low cal fancy yogurt, sugarless candy etc. You probably have your favourites.

Main thing is not to give in to the temptation of scarfing down high-cal things that will set you back. This is for life, not for just now. Build into your life the food and non-food rewards that will become a habit for a lifetime.

All the best with grad school and your wedding!
blueheron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/242/150

Height: 5'6"

Well, I don't know what program you're on or what foods you're allowed, but I'm finding it helps to allow myself little 'indulgences' - only really, they're not, because I count them in my calories and make sure I come in under. So I have a glass of Coke, or a fun-size chocolate bar, and it's all on-plan.

It really depends what you're looking for - if you're trying to permanently cut out junk, then of course that isn't suitable, but if you're trying for moderation, and don't have a tendency to binge, it might be worth keeping some fun-size chocolate bars, or small packets of snacks, so when you want a treat you can check your calories and decide whether you can 'afford' it - and if you can, do so with no hard feelings. I find that knowing there are treats in my future also makes it easier to deny myself now - if I feel grumpy because I can't have a certain thing because I'm at my calorie limit, I tell myself I can have it tomorrow if I spend my calories carefully. (Of course, that doesn't work if I want an entire chocolate cake, but so far my desires have been reasonable. )

300ml of Coke, an individually wrapped cake bar, three mini Cadbury's creme eggs, a packet of Frazzles, a fun-size Flake bar - all under 150 calories, and meet my desire for snacks.
Ms Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #6  

I make "ice cream" sandwiches. Half a low fat honey Graham (or chocolate Graham) on the bottom, 1/4 cup chocolate cool whip or fat free regular on top, wrap in plastic and freeze. One tub of cool whip makes 11 sandwiches that are about 3x3" and almost 2" thick. It really tastes like ice cream, fulfills my "something decadent" cheat urge, and just over 100 calories.
BodyByButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

If you want, you might want to challenge yourself. Set a goal. Challenge yourself to stay on plan until your wedding day. Sometimes when we wait to treat ourselves on 'real' events, it makes you realize what a treat really is. Me, I don't care for substitutes, I'd rather have 'the real thing' on occasion.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Strawberries.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #9  

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #10  
Results>Reasons

S/C/G: 196/190/150

Height: 5'9"

I always try to think of what I'd feel like after I "indulged". If I'm stressed out, overwhelmed, or just fed up with work/life...the last thing I want to do -- even though I want to at that moment -- is eat something that is going to make me feel like an even bigger failure...or fat and miserable.

So, I try to compensate for my stress by eating something that I'd be proud of eating (fruits, veggies, etc.)...doing this, no matter how small of an accomplishment it seems, will more times than not make me feel better about myself. It's like...well work sucks, but at least I'm one step closer to shredding a pound or two....
AriesNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #11  

Thanks AriesNV - that's a good point that I hadn't really considered.