Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #1  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

Default If I drink a gallon of water every day...

Why do I feel so dehydrated!! I drink literally 128oz each day, nothing else like milk or juice or soda. But my mouth still feels dry and I feel parched sometimes. I don't get it...? I am breastfeeding but thought I'm staying very well hydrated so I don't know.
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Well, sometimes you may be more or less thirsty, I drink tonsof water and thirst for more.

I will caution, if this is a new phenomenon with you, please have a metabolic panel done. That can be an indicator of things like diabetes or kidney problems, if you are suddenly extremely thirsty.

As another breastfeeding mom, though, I must say that I drink a gallon or so a day and sometimes still want more. I am outputting a good 30-40 oz of breastmilk many days, plus my normal bodily fluid uses with respiration, urination, etc etc. Upping your water intake by 50% or more while nursing isn't unusual. The heat of summer can also impact your hydration needs strongly, especially if you are not indoors all the time.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 06-23-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:34 AM   #3  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

You know it's silly but I didn't even think about the weather factoring in! It's usually a balmy 50-60 degrees on the CA coast, and we've had a little heatwave this week! That must be it... I would love to have a metabolic panel run, but my pcm doesn't want to do it yet since I've just had the baby. She said my hormones are all over the place right now anyway so it wouldn't be very accurate. I have always suspected diabetes, I have 3/4 of the listed symptoms as well as the "other" symptoms, but no testing that I've had done has confirmed it! Not even during pregnancy when my "symptoms" were glaringly pronounced.

The thirst has accompanied the drinking more water, so for the last 3 weeks. But I've gone from trying to remember to drink water, and possibly only taking in 40oz (when I first got out of the hospital with pneumonia, 2 weeks postpartum) to drinking over a gallon each day. Toward the end of my pregnancy all I wanted was cold water, and I couldn't get enough of it. I made a game of filling the "hat" while I was in the hospital, and did every single time, every couple hours! (It holds about 32 ounces!) Ha ha...okay tmi there, but basically, I make it a point to stay very well hydrated. The thirst is recent, since I have started my diet at the beginning of this month.
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Hmm.. If it is just recent and you otherwise feel fine, I'd think the weather is a likely cause if your nurser isn't in the middle of a growth spurt.

It sounds like a panel needs to be in your future, but unless you're having obvious insulin issues I don't think waiting is the end of the world, your doctor is right that postpartum hormones can throw it off for a few months after giving birth.

Keep drinking and I hope that thirst abates!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote