Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

Default Wii Fit?

Success? failures? worth it?
Help me out!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/292/130

Height: 5'1"

It's a decent supplement to your normal fitness regime, but I don't think it could ever replace it. Just wouldn't burn enough calories.

I'd recommend Dance Dance Revolution for the Wii before the Wii Fit. GREAT cardio workout, and lots of fun, too.

I have both and use them frequently (well, the Wii Fit is my roommate's, but I use it). If you have the money, I'd say go ahead and get it, but it's only decent, not wonderful, IMO.
devnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I have it. It's more exercise than watching TV, and it's fun. Like anything else, you need to do it regularly to make it work.

We also have Just Dance, and that can work up a sweat.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/156.0/145

Height: 5'7''

If you have an Xbox, the workout programs associated with the Kinect are more helpful IMO. I own both the Wii (including Wii Fit) and the Xbox (with Kinect). You cannot cheat using the Kinect because it tracks your entire body. I have Dance Central for Kinect (which has a workout mode) and the the Kinect Adventures (which comes with the Kinect) and both make me work up a sweat in no time. For some of the games, you have to jump, and you can NOT trick it. It looks to see if your feet are leaving the ground. In Dance Central, you have to get every part of the move right, not just where your feet are.

I know that EA Fitness is also available for the Kinect and is really hard and a good workout from the home. And once again, it tracks your whole body and corrects you if you are doing an exercise incorrectly. There are also many, many different workouts you can download to go with it. I downloaded a Bollywood dance routine that kicks my butt all around my living room.

That being said, I still go to the gym and lift weights 4 days a week.
AnonymouslyYours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

I would love to have a Kinect so much! Used my friends once and Loved it!! but a Wii is what I have to work with right now! I have a just dance and I'm going to get the wii fit! but I won't stop my regular routine for sure! I'm loving being more active sooo much!!
Thank you for your input!!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

I love the "walk it out" game for the wii. Also the strength routines that you can cusomize are actually pretty good.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 306/240/140

Height: 5'5

Well, it really depends on what you're doing with it. I can get a pretty good workout with the yoga, strength exercises, Kung Fu dance, Marching Band, Hula Hoop and Free Step. The other things might help you with balance (and are just plain fun to do, like Snowball Fight) but they aren't going to help you as much. There's also things that I do more than once. For example, Kung Fu is 2 minutes, so I'll do that 5 times in a row (resulting in 10 minutes for that activity) before I move on to something else like Marching Band (which is 3 minutes) that I will do 3x in a row, and so on and so on. When you unlock Free Step you can set it for 10, 20, or 30 minutes so that's not a problem. Until then, you can do Advanced Step which has you follow the Mii's movements on the board (5 minutes) twice.

Hope that helps.
Kaonashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 227/224/168

Height: 5ft4

i have been using the wii fit+ now for around 5 months and to be quite honest i have found it hard losing weight with it. i have now just bought the zumba fitness which i find to be a great workout and find it alot better than the wii fit+
hope this helps

Last edited by madhouse721; 06-24-2011 at 05:18 AM.
madhouse721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 286/244/160

I think it's great! I just got it, but I've been using my mom's copy for a while now. I found that it doesn't really help you lose a lot of weight (though I never really committed to doing the heavy-duty aerobics workouts regularly, only doing one or two a week). However, the yoga has really helped me! I've noticed that my posture is much better, I feel more flexible, and I don't get tired so quickly when I do other workouts. If you have the money, then I recommend it as a way to introduce yourself to fitness. Besides, it beats having to pay for and go to a yoga class! Because I got so familiar with the yoga, I can now do it wherever and whenever. The kung-fu game, even though I don't do it as often as I should, is really fun!
PisceanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 228/225/140

Height: 5'7"

Meh...not worth it IMO. It's been sitting in our closet unused for months. It just doesn't provide a hard enough workout.

My co-workers swear by Dance Dance Revolution, though. They say it really works up a sweat!
Joga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #11  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I don't think it compares to regular workouts but I like to do the weighing and bodytests. Keeps track of you weight loss and BMI etc and it is kind of fun.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 140/136/115

Height: 5ft. 3in.

I have both the Wii fit as well as Dance Dance Revolution and Just Dance. I find the Wii fit to not be worthwhile. My favorite of the three is Just Dance. I really work up a sweat and I'm so focused it doesn't seem like exercise. I just want to get the moves right so I'll do it again and again. With the Wii Fit I didn't work up as much of a sweat and it seemed too much like traditional exercise (which I hate) so I gave up on it pretty quickly. The reason I like Just Dance and Country Dance better than Dance Dance Revolution is because I don't have to try and look at the TV and my feet on the mat at the same time. You just hold the Wii remote and try to follow the moves on screen. It's a lot less frustrating and a lot more fun. I would like to get a Kinect but already own a Wii so until it breaks I'll be sticking with it. I even take it with me when I travel and hook it up in my hotel room so I can keep my workout going on the road. It's working well for me so far. This and Kettlebells 3 times a week are my workout.
mfreetofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #13  
Excited!

S/C/G: 260/See Ticker!/150

Height: 5'2''

I would definitely skip it! Unfortunately, it's really easy to "cheat" when you're using it, because it isn't tracking your whole body. Even when aren't really meaning to cheat, it encourages you and thinks you're doing the right thing. And am I the only one who was pissed off when my little person ballooned out when I entered my weight?! Talk about a blow to the positive body image thing! I'd take my money and invest in free weights, pilates mat, healthier foods... it's a waste on the Wii Fit.
onic28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

My brother lost weight using Dance Dance Revolution(DDR) but he was extreme about it. He also decided to start weight training after he lost weight from DDR so it's a starter I guess. I use my wii fit for just weighing myself now but occasionally I will do the strength training. The thing I feel the most is the squats exercise. If you are unsure, there are wii fit strength training things on youtube.
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 200.8/186.8/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

When combining Wii Fit with gym workouts, I found that it did increase my strength and stamina. I love it!
Susie_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote