Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #1  
Made of Starstuff

Default Alternachicks Chatter - May 25 to end of June

Alright! That's it! I can't stand by anymore! I've always loved the Alternachicks area on 3FC, and I'd like to see it a tiny bit more active. After all, we have a lot more to discuss than just what we look like (though that can certainly be fun, too) =)

I know you're out there lurking, and hoping, too. *peers into the darkness...listens for an echo* So how about we just start talking?

Let's cease the silence and get to know each other by posting =)

Remember there are a broad range of definitions for "alternative" so if you think you might be an Alternachick or Alternadude then you are, and get to typing!

---

Oh...uh... now I actually have to start talking. Hmm. Well.

In general, I use WW to keep track of my food intake and follow their good health guildelines to make sure I'm eating much healthier in general and not just less. I'm incredibly level-headed and scientifically minded when it comes to eating better so I love to look around and note what others are doing and have discovered a variety of different foods that I probably never would've sought out on my own.

My struggle at the moment would likely be movement. (As always) Though I'm up to 15 minutes of "extra" movement a day which includes treadmill walking and yoga. Slowly, but surely I'm building up to more.

I'm making tacos tonight for dinner =D In fact, just thinking about it I'm getting hungry. I just have to make sure I've made them before my raid starts (I play WoW) or I have to eat while raiding and I can't stand doing that as the food is gone and I've wondered where it went... Kinda like eating while watching TV.

Also I'm trying to decide if I should hold off on buying a new book for my first 5% goal or if I should get it sooner and use something else as a reward.

See, the dilemma is....There's a series called Game of Thrones on HBO, and I told myself I'd read the books before starting watching the show, but I never got around to it and now the show is out... so I want to read the books asap.

I just don't want to have to wait another month if that's how long the scale decides to make me wait until I reach 5%. What to do?

Hope every Alternachick is having a great OP day!
Old 05-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Hello, I'd be glad to join in. I've always wanted to jump into one of the "chatter" threads around here on 3fc, but it always seems that most areas already have an established group of chatters and I'd be intruding on their conversation. :b Either way, I've always liked this section of the forum but alas, it does seem woefully inactive.

A little about me: several years ago I lost 65 lbs and this year, I'm trying to get the last 15-20 or so. I'm an ex calorie counter- lost those 65 lbs by counting however this time around, for some reason, counting seems to trigger binging for me. So I'm eating intuitively instead and on a completely vegan diet and hey- it's working.

My reward for finally reaching my goal will be my first tattoo!! I'm getting a happy running wolf on my forearm in about a years time.

Anyway, I like the idea of using books as a mini-goal reward. Maybe you can reward yourself with the book for a smaller goal that will come sooner(staying completely on plan for 1 week? Adding in some more activity? etc...) and reward yourself with something else for the 5% achievement.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #3  
this is my war baby

Hello! I'm new and would feel more at home in this section, but it seems to be quite inactive, so I'm in!

I've put on loads of weight since not working, and after a craptastic year and a half, have finally decided to do something about it. I'm really determined this time, but struggling with the exercise at the moment. I'm not following a diet, just eating healthily and sometimes having a slim fast shake instead of a meal, as I find it easier than having to dealing with food.

My half-way reward will be a tattoo. I've had a few planned for years but am having to wait! And my reward for reaching my goal will be another tattoo!

I've been trying to think of rewards for mini-goals too. I thought of putting some money away for every mini-goal reached, to spend on clothes when reaching the bigger goals. It might make me stop buying clothes that are way too small and just sit in my wardrobe - does anyone else do this?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Hey there Horo =) Good to meet you. Congrats on maintaining that 65lb loss And happy to hear that you've found what's going to work for you for the last few pounds and hopefully it's something you can stick with!

I do like the idea of a tattoo as a final reward, and have dabbled with the idea of getting a small one somewhere to commemorate my 1 year maintaining anniversary when I do get down to goal. I think it's definitely something to look into.

And, yeah, I was leaning towards making the book a goal for exercising for a solid week. And then finding a song or something to download for the 5% goal. I think I might do it that way.

Heya Miss - Exercise was almost always the thing that put me off about losing weight. I had to stop thinking about it as "exercise" and just use the "moving more" phrase. Like I could park furthest from the store, and that was more movement. Or I could take the stairs and that was more movement, etc.

I really like the idea of putting away money for smaller goals and or per pound (I've seen some people put away a couple dollars per pound lost) and then using the money for milestone goals.

I ONCE bought a jacket that was too small when I went to a cirque du soleil performance. I really loved the jacket, it was incredibly whimsical, but they only had a Lg left and I was an XL at that point. It is still sitting in my closet as a reward/comparison type piece.

I also buy one pair of jeans that's the next size lower. So what I do is every month or so I try them on to see how they fit. Eventually I finally get them zipped up. And down the road they start fitting perfectly. That's when I know it's time to get rid of the old "too big clothes" and get a few new pairs of the new best fitting size. Plus that one new pair of jeans that's a size to small for the continued comparison.

---

Another great May day here. Keeping the windows open and the air flowing. I was able to get dinner fixed and finished before raid time last night, so I didn't have to worry about stuffing my face while gaming.

I'm having a huge dilemma with my sleep schedule as of late. I'm trying VERY hard to set myself a bedtime and waking time. I'm so prone to love the late night that it's difficult. Such a night owl, but then again I really enjoy the early morning, too. The peaceful stillness and all that junk

Hope you guys have great OP days! And, anyone thinking about joining in on the chatter definitely should! *pokes* That means you, lurker person!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #5  
Start Date: May.19 .0011

S/C/G: 217/213/149

Height: 5'5"

Hello!! I think I'd fit here best as well. And I agree, it has been rather quiet on this end *hears pin drop*...

I have trouble with keeping on track. ESPECIALLY since I moved in with my boyfriend and his mom. They eat much fattier meats and foods in general than I am used to(a LOT more eating out and less fresh veggies) and therefore... I managed to gain 30lbs in the last 4 or so months 0.0 yepp. WAY too much for my liking as a year before I gained 20lbs in less than three weeks due to an antidepressant I was on. Still haven't managed to get those pounds off. SOOOO over all I have gained 50lbs in about a year an a half's time... Yikes.

In high school I had lost 30 or so lbs when I was at 180 and looked fabulous(or so I was told) but even at 152 lbs I wanted to lose more but alas I got sick with a REALLY bad case of mono that still gives me symptoms 4 years later o.o

But ANYWAYS, I know sickness and whatever is no excuse so that is why I am here! I want to get on track and stay on track.
I was thinking about trying the 17 day diet and actually using my gym membership that I got last october(hey, I was REALLY good for about a month... and then I fell off the wagon). And now that I have 3 months before I start school I would like to lose at least 25lbs before then. And with some support from you lovelies I think I can do it

I just got a fantastic new job as a home health aid which is a LOT less stressful than my past job as a cna/tma in a nursing home. And another plus is that there is no vending machines to tempt me

BUT other than talking about my weight I do have other hobbies lol
I LOVE to fish. I learned to fly fish last year and ABSOLUTELY loooooove it. If you all ever get a chance to learn, take it!! Fishing is just so calming and it's sucha treat to guess what kind of fish you have on the line by the way it fights!! So far I caught one walleye spinner fishing. Pretty sweet since it was off the dock and in the rain.

I also am a country girl transplanted to the metro. And let me tell you... I MISS THE COUNTRYSIDE. Grew up on a farm and am now living in a townhome in the middle of a city only knowing my boyfriend and his mom(I need friends...). Crazy. But hopefully it's only while I am going to school(which I am REALLY excited for). I will be starting the occupational therapy assistant program this august and can NOT wait.

But ANYWAYS, it is a lovely day out so I best be getting out there while it still is sunny in this crazy minnesota weather.

Toodles!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #6  
this is my war baby

Hey Lovely, I'll try the 'moving more', thanks! There's always a reason (read 'excuse') to put off the exercise, but parking further away etc is definitely more do-able!
Jeans the next size down is a great idea, gonna do that when I get half way, or I'll be getting through about 8 pairs LOL.
I used to be terrible buying clothes ridiculously too small for me just because I liked them, and tell myself I'll fit in them one day!
I'm having the same trouble with my sleep, seem to be going to bed later and later. and then missing half the morning.

Hi Rockbanjo! I've gained the same amount in that time too - scary isn't it?! We can all support each other to stay on track
Congratulations on the new job! And I also used to work in a very stressful nursing home.

Aaah sunshine...its been pouring here all day!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #7  
Force of Nature

Heeeey everybody, I would totally like to join in this chatter.
I have decided that I need to lose weight if not just because I dont feel comfortable in my own skin, but also because I am really unhealthy, whenever I kneel down it hurts my knees and I am 25.... thats not good. Needless to say, I am ready to finally rid myself of this weight and feel healthy and want to walk around stores or parks without feeling like everyone is judging and staring at me.
So as my reward for when I lose all the weight and feel comfortable I am going to get boudoir photos done... I have always wanted to but never felt comfortable enough with my body so I am looking forward to it.

It is so good to meet all of you and I look forward to our future chatters.

Last edited by SugarComa; 05-26-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #8  
I aim to misbehave

S/C/G: 225/tick/175

Height: 5'8"

Hi!

Lovely--thanks for starting up this thread. It has been really quiet around here ever since Mauvaisroux stepped down as our administrator/supporter/thread starter.

I've done rewards in the past, but I actually haven't thought much about them this time around. I've done books and clothing. But this time, I might work toward a night out--just time for me away from the responsibilities of home. Maybe a movie or something (haven't been out to see a movie since my son was born a year ago).

I so want to read Game of Thrones. Let us know if you enjoy it!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I'm reading the Game of Thrones books, which I started a few episodes into the series, and they're good. I found the series rather confusing before that, there's a huge amount to put in and while they're doing an incredibly faithful adaptation, it's easier to understand if you already know what's going on. Of course, now I'm several books ahead and when I watch the episodes, I have to pause and work out what was happening back in book 1. It's probably easier not to read the books concurrently with watching the series!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Hi everyone!

Hey Rockbanjo ^^ It is so difficult to watch what you eat when there are people around who don't subscribe to the same food methods. For example, my husband is mostly good about what I buy, but he loves tortilla chips and I'm not very big on using my daily points for them so I have to hide them behind things on top of my fridge so I'm not tempted

I went fishing a grand total of ... ONCE. We caught them and then tossed them back. I love the outdoors, but I'm such a wuss. The second there are bugs or animals or "icky" things I get as squeamish as a child.

Yo Miss - The weather improved there, yet?

Hi SugarComa I 100% know what you mean about knees. When I climb stairs I feel like I'm 95 years old with how my knees ache. The boudoir photos sound so neat, and I think that's a hot idea as a goal!

Heya Riverite - I remember when Mauvaisroux was the mod here and there was a nice little chat going. I looked back over and realized it quieted down, so hopefully we all can liven it up a bit more. If we can keep the chatter going and maybe add in a few challenges down the road or something it'd be nice! I have a few things down on my rewards lists, a night out at a movie is actually one of them! I know the seats aren't usually small or anything, but I want to go to one and feel comfortable sitting in them without feeling squished.

Esofia Yeah, I have the series saved to my cable box. I believe I've been faithful enough to my plan that I'll pick up the first book and read through it and then watch the few episodes that are out now. I'm nerdily (totally not a real word lol) looking forward to it!

---

Yet another gorgeous day out here. I was on the treadmill this morning and right about 8 minutes in... there was this surge of...how to put it... perfection? I felt like I could've flown off my balcony. Not that I was about to try >_> just that I'm glad to be returning to those positive workout vibes. I realize it's a natural thing...endorphins, adrenaline, serotonin and dopamine. Thank the world for brains releasing chemicals, they do such good things.

I remember having those surges when I was working out before. I'd get to a point in the walk/run where I just felt great. Everything in the world was wonderful. : Yay for exercising truly improving mood!

Hope everyone has a solid & on plan day!
Old 05-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #11  
I aim to misbehave

S/C/G: 225/tick/175

Height: 5'8"

Lovely, I love those moments!

I'm so jealous of all of you with HBO...I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD. But--more time to read the books! Which will be good for me because I mostly read YA--I need to read some stuff closer to my age sometimes.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Riverite -

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

I've been doing pretty nicely with my exercise, and I went food shopping yesterday which is always a workout. Especially lugging heavy bags of things up 3 flights of stairs. But, I always feel better for it. And I've got a ton of fruits and veggies on hand for all sorts of healthy eating.

I go to about four different stores to get all my food.

A regular grocery store, a produce/specialty store, a giant Sam's Club, and Trader Joe's. I feel a little silly sometimes, but none of them have everything I like in my diet, and all of them have something I like.

Tomorrow's my weigh-in day, and I'm feeling pretty positive about this week =)

Last edited by Lovely; 05-29-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #13  
Featherweight Member

Height: 5'2" - Small frame

Hi everyone,

Just found this threat, and I also would love to join in. I have been fighting the same 10lbs up and down for nearly twenty years now...sigh....I know that might sound silly for some, but they are all concentrated in my thights and butt, and...they just makes me look funny...

I am just tired of passing on going to the pool every summer, or wearing shorts..., and yes, I also have that pair of jeans, that I bought back in the day but still can't wear, cause they just won't zip! ... and I refuse to buy a bigger size...

Two days ago, I am back at counting calories. After three weeks of intuitive eating, which got me to gain a few pounds and in a state of out of control "oh my God, I can't stop eating chocolate cake" ...and I just couldn't make myself to see it thru...so back at calorie counting.

The thing is that my schedule is very scattered, I am a flight attendant, so I spend most of the time eating at airports and hotels (and lots of vending machines) Not a good thing, because I can only cook about one week out of the month.. which is when I am home; and then, I don't really even feel like cooking.

So, I am hoping to find some buddies here and some support, and to learn from what others are doing to lose weight, or to maintain it, and/or to keep sane in the process
Old 05-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #14  
Made of Starstuff

Hi Bluenach and welcome =)

How neat being a flight attendant! I can only imagine the hectic schedule and trying to figure out meals

I know there are still healthy choices that can be made, it just takes an extra dedication when you aren't the one making the meals. You have to trust others to prepare food the way you need it.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #15  
TV Watcher

S/C/G: 232/208/160

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone! It's nice to find a chatter thread that isn't so established. I agree with everyone where it feels intrusive to just join in. I moved to New Mexico last year for school and just keep gaining. I really lack a schedule and I feel that it is the major cause of my downfall. I've always been hovering at 160 but now I'm at 193. I figured that some support would help me lose the excess weight I gained and then some. My little sister is one of those freaks that never has to work at being a healthy weight. I just want to be able to shop for clothes freely and not worry about it being unflattering like I do now.
Closed Thread