Old 06-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias # 29

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

You might want to check the old thread for posts you haven't yet read but I came back to take a peek and noticed it had gotten long so here I am. I just read an interesting blurb about eggs which is worth passing on. I always knew that white eggs and brown eggs had the same exact nutritional value in them but this explains why the brown eggs are more expensive. White eggs come from smaller chickens which are Leghorns than do the brown ones that come from a different breed of hens which are bigger so the ones that lay the brown ones take more feed and thus are more expensive to raise. So they usually pass on that cost to the customer. Pick what you want; either way, you'll pick a good egg. Now you know.

JEAN Have yourself a wonderful trip. Looks like you are quite organized and it is a great idea to take your own food. Smart to get it all done this afternoon so that you can then get a good nights sleep. Men only have to pack what "they" want to take and we women have to also figure out the food and anything else we need to take. Ah but the men have to cart it all out to the vehicle. Have a great tiime and don't stress if you have forgotten to take anything. Hope the Mo does stay within its boundray.

Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-18-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #2  

Good morning to everyone. Jack is upstairs fooling around in his office and I sat down to balance my checkbook online, read the paper on line and thought I might as well post too. I found a pattern for a dog sweater with no picture, but the pattern sounds like what I want so I am giving it the old college try.

Susan: Hope you have fun at your quilt in and enjoy the company too. I have a 7 day pill box and I sit down and fill it every time I take the last pills for the week. It keeps me legal so to speak and with it sitting there on the shelf I don't forget to take them. I know one thing, I go to the dr next time and we are going to change bp meds again. I plain don't like what I am on and since I am no longer on the norvasc I want to replace it with something else. The other med, which slows heart rate I have to constantly watch so it doesn't dip too low and I hate always having to deal with that. Anyway, I got you shoe size, put it on the list with the other ladies and will soon be getting yarn for you all to start some slippers. They whip up so fast and I think they are so cute.

Maggie: PM me your shoe size here. For some reason I didn't get the email. I got others so I know they are coming through. I will put yours on the list too. Yes, I know, Jack has used several different types of solder depending on the job. He doesn't do it much nowadays because the shaking in his left hand has gotten worse since he has gotten older. Aren't you guys supposed to go to Texas???

Gail: Hope the pill site helps. You might want to consider those wraps you can wear too, but personally I think the heating pads work best as long as you monitor them so they don't burn your FIL. I know older folks tend to turn the things up then forget they did it and burn themselves. I have one that no matter what shuts off after so many minutes. It irritates me because I keep having to turn it back on though. Just make sure you get some rest. Oh and the Melting Pot is expensive so you might want to take a look online at their site before your lunch bunch decides on that place. It is a fun thing being an all fondue place,but they are really pricey. I bet my sil and dd spend nearly 400$ for our dinner when we do it for T's birthday.

Well gals, I am going to get out of here. Want to do some laundry this morning and get showered and go to Joann's later and get some yarn to finish Alcia's hat and some kind of doggy buttons for Fortune's new sweater. It is deep purple and a beige combo stripe. I think it will be cute. I had a devil of a time finding a turtleneck pattern though that is sort of a tube style sweater rather than open. Have a good one today! Keep cool or warm as the case may be. Jean, have fun in MN. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a lovely day in the high 70's and fixin' to get to the high 80's before the day is over. We had a gulley washer last night. Lots of thunder, lightening and rain coming down fast and hard. Mopp slept so close to me you would think I had a toumer. He always has been afraid of storms for some reason. Beanie could care less. He goes out back and frolicks regardless. Such different personalities makes it interesting for sure. I have a bit of a stiff neck this day ~ must have slept in one position too long. Happens sometimes. We opened a watermellon last night and had to throw it out. First bad one we have had so far this year. Looked great from the outside. We wanted watermellon so went to the store and bought one that was opened. They are more spendy cut up that way but we wanted to make sure we got a good one because we wanted watermellon. Ours out in the garden aren't quite ready yet. Our corn is deifinitely going to be knee high by the 4th of July. This month is already half over ~ time sure flys when you are having fun. Will is at the building place and ordering a new storm screen door for the back entrance. The door case needs to be replaced and squared up better so we will just get a new door with a doggie entrance built in at the bottom. With the existing storm screen door Beanie can push it out because it doesn't latch but he can't get in. And he is in and out a lot. He loves outside. We need a nice combo outside door that latches since we like having just the screen in it in the warmer weather. The front entrance just has a glass storm door. One big piece of glass. But it makes it nice to have the inside door open and let the light shine in.

DONNA FAYE My shoe size is and 8. My feet will be so happy to have a pair of your lovely slippers. Funny there was no picture with that doggie pattern but I am sure glad you did find one you like. I wanna see a picture with it finished and on your little pooch stylin' it. I use those small pill cases that have two areas and have one for each day of the week. I load my pills up for the week and place them in a zip lock case and in the microwave cupboard next to the kitchen table. Each evening when I have had my meds I replace the empty case and pull out a filled one and place it on the table. Works for me and I can grab it if we are going out to eat for I need to take the morning ones after eating. But I have to take my thyroid meds before eating anything so have them in my office where I take one when I get up and turn on my computer. I take a bone pill once a week and take it in my office also. Saturday night I refill all my med cases. Will takes all his stuff at once so has one long container that has areas for each day. Everyone needs to find a system that works best for them to take their meds. Take them, they don't do any good for you in the bottle.

Today for lunch I am using the left over spaghetti noodles and making a pasta salad with chopped up veggies and some hard genoa dried sausage match stick pieces. I call it my Deli Pasta Salad. It is 7 points+ and worth every point. If anyone wants the recipe I will type it out for you.

JEAN ~ SUSAN ~ GAIL Hope this Saturday is going well with you.

Time to get some work done this day. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-18-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #4  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good afternoon all! Well....let's have some good news for a change!!

Me: Went to see the cardiologist. Ladies, I'm not dying! Because the atrial fibrillation was only for 2-3 heart beats and considering I didn't even feel it then all I get are some pills to take IF I feel it happen again and it's not stopping. Went to the pharmacy and have pills in my posession! As far as the why of fainting? Well, the cardiologist says not being able to speak with anyone who actually witnessed me out before and after and after answering a lot of questions in the negative, he said it could be just one of those things and may never happen again. We talked a lot about my family history, my past health history and my present health history. I'm good to go! I asked him, "I'm gonna live?" He chuckled and said, "Go live life!" However, he wants me back in 3 months for another eco-cardiogram. Yaaaay!

FIL: His appetite is coming back. He looks stronger. However, he's still a sick man. It's too bad he slid off the hospital bed two days before I fetched him from that place because his cracked rib is really what's hurting him. The physical therapist and the nurse still come to the house. PT on Monday. Nurse on Tuesday.

WW: I weighed in the morning and lost 1.2 lbs. Yaaay! Probably from all the nervous energy I've been spending this past week. Also, I've been drinking gallons of water. I haven't snacked much and when I did I ate grapes, canteloupe, strawberries and peaches. And I tracked! OH! THAT sounded a lot like being on program! Imagine that!

So Jean left for vacation or as Donna calls it "VACA"? One of these days Wayne and I will go on VACA. It won't be this year but I've learned to say Never Say Never.

Maggie, I'm hungry right now and that pasta salad sounds yummy. I did eat lunch at the mall (Chick Fil-A Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich for 6 points) but it's about 4pm now and we're not grilling outside until about 6pm. We're having steak, baked potato, salad, and a mini loaf of Italian bread. I don't know if I'm having bread or the potato but the men are. Yesterday, the nurse forgot to bring me a pill box but I'm fine now as I'm more accustomed to the medication my FIL is taking and now that I look at it, it's really not all that much. Some of it is vitamins (w/o Vit K), pain pills as needed. The coumadin (sp?) is regulated every few days by the nurse who draws his blood so there are several bottles of different strengths.

Susan, I can't remember much from the other thread but I gather you're on a marathon quilting bee? Having fun? Hope so!

Donna, that was my worry also! I keep checking on him about that heating pad but thankfully he really is on the ball and he's been keeping it on Low or Medium. THAT is helping his back tremendously. If he had not cracked his rib he would be in much better shape. He just doesn't want to acknowledge his bones are old. The dear man just wants his life back! And I want his old life back too! Bless his heart. Bless MY heart! You're really gonna knit me a pair of those slippers?! Size 8. BUT take your time and if you get caught up on another project I'll understand. Know what? Knitters NEVER get knitted gifts!! Do you? I know quite a few knitters and come to think of it I have given them knitted gifts! Hmmm.... What is so great about my Lunch Bunch Ladies is that we do go to expensive restaurants and because we go at lunch time the menu is sooooo much cheaper! It's a great way to test out a restaurant. I usually do go on the restaurant's website and a lot of times the nutritional information is there as well. Someone told me that by the end of this year that every restaurant is going to have nutritional information available if its not on their menu. Have you heard that? My oldest daughter said when she and her family were out in northern California last month everywhere they ate the nutritional information was available. She said didn't like that as when she goes out to eat she likes to eat in denial!

Well, I need to go check out stuff on the internet and probably should go make the salad for dinner...

Take care everyone!

Last edited by GailR; 06-18-2011 at 04:14 PM.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #5  

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO JACK, BOB, WAYNE, WILL AND JACK AND POTHUMOUSLY TO STAN!!!!

Good morning to you ladies. It is another really warm day here. I am going to get showered in just a bit and get out and get some errands done before it gets too hot. I finished his sweater but oh what a mess! I found a small mistake, which cost me time as I kept ripping back a couple rows and redoing only to find out she either typed it wrong or miscounted by a stitch, but whoa boy, you get to the part where you do the decreases for the shoulder area and she went off the reservation. by almost 20 stitches!!!!! I got to that part, which is 3/4 of the thing done and whamo, came to a dead stop. I am not a pattern designer, but I did make it so I could finish it, but didn't put in a long enough collar for a real turtleneck as it would have been too tight. I am going to pick up some buttons to sew on it today, but at least it fits him and is fairly snug so it will be hard for him to slip out of it in winter which is what I found with others I have bought. He is too big for a small and too small for a medium sweater from the stores. I will post a pick after I put the embellishments on. I found an adorable pattern for a sweater that had a yorkie wearing it, but it was " a little black dress!" I believe Fortchy would object to me cross dressing him!

Gail: HOOOORRRRRRAAAAAAYYYYYY! I have be anxiously waiting to hear what your cardio dr said and I am thrilled it can be managed with meds. No one wants to have to change their life if they are living the way they want to and I know you are trying to be understanding of your fil as he doesn't want to be in this situation anymore than you want him in it, but sometimes darn it, we have to face change and swallow it whether we want to or not. I put your shoe size in the word doc I have for everyone elses. I have even picked colors for you ladies already. I never even make myself anything let alone get something from someone else! I have one pair of socks I made for myself and a sweater that was horrible because the yarn was not dye lotted and so it looked streaked when finished and anothe sweater I made for a vaca to Vegas and the thing was sparkly and itched like the devil so my successes for myself are minimal! I do have a beautiful pear green sweater on the needles that I hope to finished after the first of the year for the cruise, but I may tear it out and start over and make it a bit bigger.

Maggie: Hope this Lord's Day finds you well. I take several supplements, vitamin, calcium, low dose aspirin, benefiber everyday and only a couple regular meds for bp. I know people who take meds by the handfuls so I feel blessed.

You gals take it easy today. I am going to run and get a shower and get the day started. Have a good one. Faye
Old 06-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #6  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning Magnolias! Wayne has taken his Dad out for a ride in the car. I told Wayne, "You be careful with him; do not break him!" My FIL has come to realize (and this is a big step for him) that he will not be ready to be on his own when we drive down to Va. Beach next week for his doctors' appointments. He's coming back with me! And I really am glad about this. I won't lie and say how everything is peachy keen around here but we are all trying our best and we're gonna be okay.

Donna, I know what you mean about some patterns. Sometimes, whether it's the publisher or the author of the pattern herself the pattern does not come out like it should. You made me chuckle when you said, "...went off the reservation". I have a friend who is a knitter and she gave up knitting sweaters because she could never get them to fit properly for the person she was knitting for. Yes, she knitted a swatch but it got to be so stressful she stopped knitting sweaters. Now she knits socks, any kind of flat piece, hats, and vests. Knitted vests seem to be fine so it must have something to do with shoulder and arm sections. Anyway, she gave it up.

Well, I wanted to peek inside to see who has been here. I've some things to take care of before the kids and grandkids show up. I hope it doesn't rain (it might) because we're grilling hamburgers and hotdogs. I'm cooking corn on the cob. They will all be here by 4pm.

It's a good day!

Last edited by GailR; 06-19-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #7  

Good afternoon, ladies! Another day in the 90s.

I worked at WW yesterday from 5:30 am (first meeting is at 6:30) until 12:30 pm). It sure was interesting and I am so glad I am getting started now when meeting attendance is light. Glory and I went to Happy Belly last night for dinner and had stuffed peppers and salad. I brought one home so that will be lunch today. I've got laundry going and then I'm going to start getting my kitchen cupboards ready for painting (washing and sanding). I need to go to Lowes and get some new handles and knobs. I expect this to take me several weeks because I can't work fast when I have to raise my arms (makes me short of breath).

Gail, I am so very happy your heart problems can be controlled with meds. Its always a big adjustment when 2 generations have to move in together but it sounds like you are doing a good job of it.

Maggie, I'm sure Beanie will make excellent use of the doggie door. I love hard salami. The other night on the Food Channel they were showing how cold cuts were made. Skipping all of them from now on. Its a disgusting process.

Faye, it's the curse of crafters - never keeping anything for themselves. I've been asked to teach another quilting class but I don't have any samples anymore because I gave them all away. Now I have to see if I can borrow them back. Fortune will look so cute in his sweater.

The dryer is dinging so I better get the clothes out before they wrinkle. Have a delightful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #8  

Good morning everybody! I swear I came in here and posted Fortune's picture with his sweater on, but I will put it on here again. He wouldn't show his face because he was mad at me. I woke him up to put on the sweater and take the picture! He is over there eating and making a mess right now so I will have that to clean up later.

I went and picked out and ordered the yarn for all of your slippers. I picked out colors to match your personalities, or info I know about you. When I post them and send them, I will tell you the colors and why I picked them for you.

Not much going on today. I am going to make dog food for the next couple weeks. I found ground chicken at Target so bought a couple lbs of that since he loves the chicken menu and got more orzo. I found some organic star pasta like you see in chicken and stars soup, but decided to go with the orzo again as he likes it and it was cheaper.

Today was weigh day and I am up 2 lbs but that doesn't surprise me as I am going through some female stuff for the last week and a half and I always gain a bit when that goes on. Just sticking to plan and not worrying about it as I know it isn't from food so much since we have been eating properly.

Jack left for work about 10 minutes ago so the house is really quiet. We are hoping to pick up another ac unit for the upstairs bedroom on Friday, as they have been out of stock everywhere. Jack says we will drive to Jackson if none of the stores here have one. Jackson is about an hour away though. If we go it will be on Saturday morning and I think we will take Fortune with us and I will just sit in the car with him or take him to Petsmart for a couple minutes while Jack goes in and gets it.

Gail: I think the arms of a sweater are the hardest. I have made a couple sweaters where the arms are wayyyyy too long, but followed the pattern exactly. Unless the person you are making it for is where you can keep checking, I think you can easily get into trouble. I have a couple sweaters on needles and they have been for a couple years now. I think the one that I started for my niece and she said she wouldn't wear, I may finish for Kelly. It is a nice color and would be a nice sweater for work or shopping or such.

Msggie: Fortune would be terrified of a doggy door. He won't get his treats if they are under something like a table or his baby if it is in an enclosed area and such. He is weird that way.

Susan: Oooh I love stuffed peppers but Jack won't eat them. He is finally letting me put bell pepper in spanish rice as he had pepper steak with bell peppers in it and liked it so maybe there is hope. I watched a hungry girl show yesterday and she made these french toast things and they were made with whole grain hot dog buns. They did look pretty good.

I got fabric paint and put the dots and squiggles on Alicia's slippers and they seem to be dry so they are done. Putting fabric paint on felt slippers is tought though because of all the fuzz but I did ok and this way it will keep her from slipping. As soon as her buttons get here I will sew them on and then they will be finished. I want to get her hat done so I can wash everything and be done with all her gifts as her birthday is next month.

Well gals, you have a great start to the week. I am going to go and sweep up doggy rice, etc and put away dishes and make the bed and get the chores done then make dog food and bag it up this morning. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fortunesdogsweater.jpg (32.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by gma22; 06-20-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Time flies whey you are having fun. I did think I posted yesterday. It is 80 degrees already and expected to climb up somewhere in the 90's. It is a nice sunshiney day here in the Heartland and the wind isn't blowing which is a happening in itself. I am though for I showed I am up 2 pounds and Will is down a pound. I have got to do some adjustments in my program and today is a new day to do that. One of the little thingies broke off in my garbage disposal and made such a racket that sounded like it was trying to grind up something metal. I am so careful not to let any of my things slip down there and upon checking one of the cutter things was broken so we will have to call the folks to fix it or install a new one. We got that one when we bought the new dishwasher so it isn't very old. Anyway it is sure strange going back to the old way of getting rid of garbage and not grinding it away. And our TV or the remote thingie are acting up for things aren't working properly. Always something. The fixit it man will be here tomorrow. We certainly don't watch much TV but it should work right when we do. What is happening is you go to fast forward through a commercial on a program that has been recorded and it zips right to the end of the program. Then you have to go back and it zips right back to the end again. Not good. So we don't know if it is in the TV or the remote. This is the second remote we have gotten for the first one was doing wierd things. So maybe this one went bad also. I downloaded the neatest little ap to my Blackberry. Post-em notes. The one I have now is my "don't exchange what you want most, for what you want at the moment." A constant reminder. In this little program you can post what ever trips your trigger. It allows you to pick from quite a range of colors and fonts. I have the "regular" yellow right now. I also have a post em note program on my computer which I post my weekly weight stats and keep it up in the top left hand corner of my desktop. I like the little programs ~ you can make your notes as small or large as you want also. Fun.

DONNA FAYE That is an adorable picture of Fortune. What a nice looking sweater he is sporting on his beautiful silkey little body. It will certainly be interesting to see what you think of my personality and match a color to it. What a neat thing you are doing for all of us. That is so good that he scarfs up the food you make for him. So your up 2 pounds also. This too shall pass for your system will let it go eventually. Isn't there a song about going to Jackson. We have been to Jackson. Hope you can find a fan. Speaking of which ~ we are soon going to install a ceiling fan in the dining room. Can't believe we didn't already do that for we put them up in all the rooms up here in this house so far. I don't know if there are any downstairs for I don't go down there. I really like this one in my office for it is so quiet you can't even hear it when it is on. Well all the others are level also but I am in here mostly. In a catalogue I saw that they have some really neat arms that look like palm leaves that I would love to have.

ALL Y'ALL Have a great day! Type at ya later.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-20-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #10  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good afternoon! I'm out of breath--just got through scrubbin' my kitchen floor, around the counter, through the small breakfast nook and then I...stopped! Tomorrow the mudroom, laundryroom, and small powder room. And yes, I get down on my hands and knees and scrub. There are some things I like doing the old-fashioned way. Call me crazy! But then think of all those activity points I'm accumulating!

Yesterday was a jam-packed day. Everyone was over for the Father's Day cookout. So today was a good day for a good floor-scrubbin'.

Maggie, I've got a smartphone and I don't use hardly any of it's features. IF Wayne and I do not start using it (besides phoning) as soon as my contract runs out I'm going to simplify things--gonna get a phone that just phones out and takes phone calls and has voice mail. Everything else is going to waste and we're spending big bucks for these phones of our's. I know most people like having their phones do all kinds of things and more power to 'em! With all that said, I'm glad you're enjoying your Blackberry. Around here, people call them "Crackberries"! Yay for Will for losing this week. You can lose the 2 pounds that creeped back on. What is gained can be lost again. I know this because "I've been there (multiple times), done that and have a truck load of tee shirts to show for it!" Like you said, today is good day to tweak the program!

Donna, I looooove the picture of Fortune! However, you need to tell him to show his face next time....or does he not want his face on the internet!?! Love the sweater also. Love the stripes! He looks nautical! I am not surprised that your weight is up a little with all that humidity you have going. I'm glad to hear y'all are gonna get another ac unit. You need it. Try not to let the pounds worry you. It will come off. It will! My gosh, you've been worrying about Jack, feeding Fortune, and you have your own health issues. My hands and fingers will swell in this heat from time to time also.

Susan, and I don't even have to take the medication every day! Just when needed! Can't beat that!! I haven't had good stuffed bell peppers since my Mom last made them which was well...a long time ago. I'd make them but Wayne would not eat them. Hmmmm....I wonder if my FIL would eat them? I'll have to ask him. You put in a long morning at WW. Whew! I'd love to work for WW. The three of us--FIL, husband, and myself are trying. We're hanging in there!

Well, my day is not done. Gotta go. Dryer is singing my name!

Last edited by GailR; 06-20-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Just checking in before I go beddy-bye and to tell all of you good night and sleep well. It is currently raining and the thunder and lightening is supposed to begin about midnight here. The dogs are in from their last romp in the back yard and now can wind-down before bed time.

GAIL Sounds like you had a lovely Father's Day with your family. You, my dear, can scrub your floors anyway you want. Getting down that low to the floor you can surely see they are getting clean. I don't use most of the the features that my Blackberry has and it has a lot of them. Mostly use it just for calls. Will has a Droid and doesn't use all of its features either. So we have decided when our contract is over we will use just simple phones. Will has one simple phone that he kept when he got his Droid. It is about as featureless as you can get right now for they put features on them now that you can use or not use. It is one that you buy time for and the calls cost 10 cents a minute no matter where in the world you call and what time you don't use rolls over so there are over 2000 minutes of use on that phone. He buys time every two months for $30 for 300 minutes so they do add up if he doesn't use it. But on it you can still text message & surf the internet. What we like about it is that it works in places that our other phones don't. Just the most basic phone we could find at the time we got it. We take it with us whenever we go for drives in the country near or far because it does work where our other ones don't. We can buy the refill cards for the Net 10 phone at most every gas station, truck stop, Wal*Mart, or drug store or over the internet. We are sure glad we have one. OH ~ and one more thing ~ you get the phone at the places you get the refills at and it is usually free when you buy 300 minutes.

Everyone have a wonderful nights rest. Type at y'all later

Last edited by Maggie; 06-21-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #12  

Good morning to you ladies. It is awful outside. I took the trash out this morning and it was so hot and humid you can hardly breathe. Susan definitely wouldn't want to be here this morning.

I didn't feel like working on the sock this morning, so did another pair of slippers. Here is what it looks like before felting.

I dragged my feet for 2 years refusing to let Jack get an Iphone. I thought they were ridiculously expensive for what you got and he wasn't in business so I saw them as a waste of money. Well, we bought them last fall sometime and we love them. First off, we got them cheap because they had come out with the 4G one and we have the 3GS, secondly they have a ton of aps that maybe other phones don't. I canceled our home phone which saved $65 a month not including long distance, got rid of our old phones which cost me about $30 a month as they were tracphones, and did a couple other things to pay for the phones and came out almost even on what it now costs. I have dotties weight loss zone ap so I can go into almost any restaurant and look at their menu, look at dotties and get points immediately, which is super. If you have WW online, you can get a free ap so you can do points from your Iphone, I have a super couple of knitting aps, one I paid for that has a ton of videos on how to do things anything from casting on to intarsia knitting so if I am away from home and can't remember how to do something there they are, I have one that counts stitches, patterns and etc for me and one that calculates increases and decreases, which saved my bacon for that dog sweater. I have a few games, but am not much of a game player, have two book aps so I can read books from my Iphone like kindle and I even have different songs for different people's phone numbers, which was fun. I found a best friend song that is so cute that I made my best friends, the song soul sister for my younger sister and a carpenter's song for my older one as she loves them. I have "Kiss an Angel Good Morning" for Jack's as he used to sing me that song when we were dating. I know I am a mush! My son is Homer Simpson, Thomas's phone is Revolution by the Beatles as that is his favorite and on and on. So, I love my phone and would never change, but again, if you don't use it why have it? You shouldn't pay a big price for stuff you never use. Mine is backlit so I can read in the dark, which is nice when we travel and I have a Harry Potter book on tape loaded on the Ipod part (oh yeah there is an Ipod on it for music too so I have songs) I can also text Jack when I can't get him by phone out at the plant. They have crappy reception out there.

Maggie: The one thing that drives me nuts is when you watch a movie on our dvd player, you switch our Sony tv to the player mode, watch it, turn it back to tv then turn it off. Next time you turn it on, it reverts to the movie player. It only does it once,but you have to get the remote to the tv and fix it. Jack always watches movies late on Friday and Saturday nights so you get up the next day and turn it on and you get the player screen. Again, I balked at getting a big screen flat panel hd tv but I have to say I love it. We have it high up now and it is great. I don't watch much tv right now as my favorite shows haven't started their new season, in fact, Burn Notice starts this week and I can't wait. Love that show!

Gail: One of these days when I have lost about 125 lbs I am going to get back down on my hands and knees and clean. I can't do that now. I have trouble getting down on my knees to clean the tub, not because of my weight but it hurts my knees so much. I used a cleaner with a handle on it to scrub my tub. Does Wayne not like the taste of bell pepper or having a whole pepper because you could make a casserole of the innards of the bell peppers and put chopped bell peppers in it. It is really good that way too and people who don't like dealing with a whole pepper like it this way. I am not worried at all about the gain. I think it is a combo of female, heat, and I had some intestinal issues that I have finally gotten a handle on by taking benefiber everyday. So I imagine it will come right back off this week.

I think we are going to have shrimp scampi with rice for dinner. I have to go and get the shrimp out of the freezer. I use real butter, but don't give it a bath in real butter like at restaurants. I do half and half and use the garlic to make it taste good instead of it swimming in grease like they do at restaurants. I may even have Jack put them on skewers on the grill and put some asparagus on the grill. That sounds yummy then you use even less so I think that's a plan.

I saw they have shipped my yarn for your slippers. I bought it from Knitpicks and love their colors. I think you will just love them. They are really comfortable and nice to just walk around the house in without them being like house slippers that can come off your feet and such. Like I said, I put the fabric paint on the bottom and it does the same thing as what is on the bottom of those hospital socks you get when you are in the hospital. It makes them non skid.

Well, I have sheets to get in the dryer, dishes to unload and reload and ugh, I need to go upstairs and clean bathrooms today, but in this humidity it may have to just wait another day or so. Have a good one. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kslipperbefore.jpg (18.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by gma22; 06-21-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

What a lovely day this is. The temp is in the 70's to top out at 80 before the day is over. Life is good. The fiber optic guy is in the backyard doing something the cable they are installing around here for the TV reception. Will had to go out there and take the dogs somewhere for the dogs were a distrction for the worker for he was a fresh human to play with. Hope the oil filter set up is in at the shop and they can install it today. Will had been out getting the lumber for the cases he is building for the museum and brought back lunch. Bless his heart he brought me one of Burger Kings flame broiled 7 point kids burgers which are yummy to me. I haven't yet decided what to fix for dinner but will check the freezer when I finish here. I am watching my points real close and staying inside the lines so to speak. I noticed in reading back what I had eaten last week and I hadn't had enough veggies so will eat more of them this week. I do so want to lose weight. Will just got back and ~YEAH ~ the part has arrived and they can install the new breather system now. We know it will help the Jeep breathe better and will check the mileage closely to see if it really improves that like they say. We had one of those breather systems put on another vehicle we owned and it gave us 2 MPG better. So hopefully it will improve the Jeeps mileage. I think the next thing to do to the Jeep is the front bumper system. It is dangerous to have that Jeep catelogue to see all the neat add-ons and tricks we can do to that vehicle. I got that little silver jeep from there that is on my bracelet.

DONNA FAYE I am happy for you that you enjoy your phone so much. My aps include Fox News, Beiks Bible Dictionary, Bible, Translator, Dictionary, Bing Maps and my new Screen Notes. Then in my browser section I have Dotties, Hays Library, Weight Watchers Mobile & my cousin Daryl Cagle's Professional Cartoons. I am thinking of putting this 3FC site in my browser so I can get here quickly when we travel. But like I said I hardly ever use any of the above. Just have them because I can. That picture of the slipper is neat. Thanks for sharing and it makes me look even more longlingly toward having a pair on my tootsies. BTW I think maybe you should make mine size 9 since I used to wear an 8 1/2 sometimes & just a plain ole size 8 depending on the style and maker. If that makes a difference because the shoes I wear now are sized like mens and they are different than womens. I'll leave it up to you to do as you wish for what you think will fit me best. Cracks me up that the more expensive the shoe can be a smaller size. Like clothing ~ a size 12 can be a size 7 or 8 in expensive ware. I found that all out when strolling in the expensive shops in Beverly Hills. Burn Notice is a fun program. Are they doing all new programs or are they re-running when the season starts? We watched it for a long time.

All you other Magnolias have a wonderful day. Type at y'all later. My break time is over ~ house cleaning today. Gotta do my part.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

BACK TO TELL A TALE

OH Magnolias that breather system is so trick. It increases horsepower and torque and mileage. We probably won't think about the mileage because of the much more fun it is to drive and we always had fun. That engine just sounds so much better and happy. I just had to tell ya. We had a wonderful drive in the country and went through the little burg where Walt Disneys grandfather is buried. Both Walts fater and grandfater lived near here way back when.

We got steaks to grill (inside on my Griddler) and bakers. I will fix a nice big green salad to go with it and have a great OP meal sataying within my alloted points

Hope all is well for each of you Magnolias this afternoon. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-21-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #15  

Good morning to everyone. Well the city council passed the budget and they are making the employees take all buy one holiday unpaid. Why bother giving them any paid holidays? They also did a property tax increase and cut 125 jobs and eliminated 200+ and all because of the previous administration. Anyway, I have to go through my budget and cut $250 for each holiday there is and in November they had three so we lose $750 that month!!! We will manage, but it makes it tough that's for sure. It all goes into effect in just 2 weeks to not the beginning of the year. I am hoping after they pay the 57 million dollars they owe the city school from a lawsuit the city lost, they will give the employees back their holiday pay starting next July but I am not holding my breath.

I am going to felt the slippers this morning and then block them to dry. I don't have the shoes to put in them so I am going to use the foot measurement for sock and pin them into that length so I know they will fit. I am anxious to see what the color does when it felts on this pair. I hope to get the rest of the yarn the end of the week so I have fun for the weekend. I have 4 pairs of socks to make before the end of the year but they can wait until August to get started on them.

Maggie: Glad the jeep is now the way you want it. I made a delicious shrimp scampi over rice last night that was only 11 pts total and you got 10 large shrimp, sauce and a c of rice. It was a wonderful change.

I need to clean the upstairs bathrooms first thing this morning before it gets hot. We are going out Friday and Saturday and hunt up another ac unit, but they are scarce and I found out Jackson doesn't even have any. We may have to drive 100 miles to find a store that has any. It is because it is so incredibly hot here and has been for 2 months nearly.

Well gals, I need to get my chores done and tackle those bathrooms. I want to work on that sock and get the felting done this morning too. Have a great day all. Faye