Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 12:04 AM   #1  
Big Loser Wannabe

Talking So tell me....

What do you do when your clothes no longer fit, because you are losing weight? Do you keep them because of the FEAR that you might need them again one day, or do you get rid of them to MAKE yourself keep losing weight?

I am AMAZED at how much my body has shrunk in the past month, my 22's are sooo baggy, and I am moving on into a size 20 I am having a tough time deciding if I want to sell them on ebay, and with the money treat myself to some size 20's, or hang onto them.

I am really serious about losing my weight, but then again I have been serious more times than I can remember AND I always gain my weight back. I wonder if keeping the clothes around will give me an excuse to gain the weight back? What do you do??
Old 05-31-2003, 12:28 AM   #2  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

That's a great question! I've always heard that selling one's larger size clothes is a "leap of faith" ~ designed to keep one inspired to not need them anymore!

Then I've also heard of people keeping one item of clothing from their largest size to remind them of where they were and where they don't want to be again.

I would say treat yourself to some new duds if you want to ~ you deserve it!
Old 05-31-2003, 01:11 AM   #3  
Lil Hippie Vegan Mommy

I am fortunate enough to have some talented people in my life. A friend of mine is a seamstress and she has taken some stuff in for me. She said whatever I need taken in, she is happy to do because she is so excited for me about loosing weight
Old 05-31-2003, 01:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I've kept one 3X shirt and one size 22 pair of pants as my "before" stuff. I got rid of my size 20 pants, but still have some shorts that I've been wearing around the house. I have some size 18 pants that are getting baggy so I'm heading to Old Navy for some size 16s--might not quite get into them, but I intend to get into them in a couple of weeks. Because of the expense, I usually keep the baggy stuff around for a while until I can afford new stuff, but then the old stuff gets donated. Never thought about selling stuff. I have two dresses I've worn twice and are too big--wouldn't mind getting a few bucks for them.

I think I've heard that it's better NOT to have larger sizes around the house. I think the reasoning is if the pants get too tight, then you'll be motivated to do something about it rather than just get out that next size you have stored in the closet. Makes sense.

Definitely treat yourself to some new clothes! It feels really good when you see that next size down.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:29 AM   #5  

Get rid of them! That's what I did. Sometimes as an ego boost I will take a pair of 26 jeans in the dressing room and try them on! Now I wear an 18 and can't believe the 26's were once tight!! It reminds you of how far I've come and don't want to go back to.
Get rid of them, OK???
Laura
Old 05-31-2003, 10:35 AM   #6  

I say get rid of them too. I haven't gotten out of too many clothes yet, but the ones that fall down by themselves, I've given to my sis, or a local mission.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i've gotten rid of them too. the only pair i kept was the 22 shorts in my "before" picture, so i can take pictures with them.

selling on ebay is a great idea!! i'll do that when i undergrow my current ones!!
Old 05-31-2003, 01:35 PM   #8  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

If you have business attire in large sizes, call your local Job Corps office or battered women's shelter. They sometimes will take donations to help women coming off of welfare and into job training programs. The women finish the training programs, but then can't afford to buy appropriate workplace clothing in which to interview. There is a huge need for large sized clothing in these instances.

Also, the Sunflower County Freedom Project could use your business attire. They're a college prep program for underpriveleged children in the Mississippi Delta. They send high schoolers to places like Washington DC for summer internships in government and non-profit organizations, and they need to outfit them. Their website is http://sunflowerfreedom.org/
Old 05-31-2003, 04:57 PM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Two words: Rummage sale. I had a lot of career clothes that I sold to this woman for $1 apiece for stuff like silk blouses & the like. She was in heaven, new in town, single w/kids, she loved getting such nice things. I was glad they went to someone who could use them.

(That is what I'm doing this weekend, btw, weeding out clothes)
Closed Thread