Old 06-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/Ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Bloating from veggies?

I'm not a vegetarian, but I only eat seafood, (no nothing that quacks, moo's or oinks). LOL...

My question is this...since I've upped my consumption of veggies, and I'm on a low carb diet, I noticed that my stomach gets really big at the end of the day. This just happened again yesterday. I looked 4 months pregnant. Really. The weight is dropping, but my belly just sticks out more than normal on days I eat more veggies.

I ate mostly veggies, some eggs in the morning, 1/4 cup steel cut oats, frozen veggies, fish, and salad stuff.

This morning, my stomach went down a bit. Could it be from the veggies that make me look bloated?

Does anyone else get a bloated belly on a low carb veggie diet?

Btw, my protein consumption is just fine, I'm actually eating more protein grams than required on my 30-40-40 diet.

Thanks for reading!
Beila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 179/173.6/140

Height: 5ft 5"

Yes, it's most likely the veggies....ones like broccoli, cabbage etc are the worst offenders. They give off gases as they're broken down in your digestives system, which cause bloating, and in some cases slightly more antisocial bodily noise :P

Make sure you up your water intake, and eat something alkaline at the en of the day.
bella83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #3  

Bella--Thanks, I suspected it could be the broccoli, I had about 1 cup yesterday. But I didn't experience that much gas. The other thing I noticed is that I don't feel full off of a small portion of veggies, so I have to eat like a large portion of it. Maybe the volume of veg is what's making my stomach stick out so much. The calories are low though, so that's a good thing.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #4  

Yeah, I had the same problem last week and ended up a little, er, 'backed up'! With a massive and sudden increase in fibre and only drinking the recommended water of the SAD, things ground to a halt for 2 whole days!! Won't be making that mistake again. Was soooo bloated and uncomfortable!!

Hope you're feeling better now!
Old 06-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #5  

This happens to me all the time! I suspect it is the large amount of water rich vegetables. Salad never fails in making me look and feel stuffed beyond comfort. If I drink more water than usual it will happen too. Maybe it is because your body isn't used to the large volume and it will eventually (a week?) ease up. Afterall, I don't see anyone gaining more weight while dieting with lotsa vegetables. Add some cardio and see if that helps reduce the bloat!? I honestly know how crappy that feeling is so I'm sympathetic. Just keep at it, your diet looks pretty good. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
ChantelJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #6  

Yeah, the water rich veggies is what's causing this. Also the water rich fruits. My stomach only looks 4 months pregnant after eating a huge salad, and meals with lots of veg at the end of the day.

This went away after a day, and maybe I was just a bit "backed up" as Bella83 mentioned.

I'm just happy that it goes away quickly, the next day, and I'm losing weight despite the pregnant look. So for anyone else experiencing the pregnant look, just wait a day or so and it will go away. But keep eating the veggies.

I'd rather eat these veggies than refined or processed carbs that just "sit" in my system!

Also, I noticed that broccoli is not a problem. I'm not gassy. I guess I have enough enzymes to break it down. However some cheeses (like cheddar), milk and ice cream will give me gas, and I do feel bloated after consuming those. I'm lactose sensitive.

Last edited by Beila; 06-19-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #7  

I've just eaten a plate of steamed spinach...oh dear!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella83 View Post
I've just eaten a plate of steamed spinach...oh dear!
I think spinach is ok by the bag full. For sure calorie wise, it's so low. You'll digest it easily no problem.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #9  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

I eat the same way, and have the same issues, lol.. It goes away pretty quick though!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beila View Post
I'm not a vegetarian, but I only eat seafood, (no nothing that quacks, moo's or oinks). LOL...

My question is this...since I've upped my consumption of veggies, and I'm on a low carb diet, I noticed that my stomach gets really big at the end of the day. This just happened again yesterday. I looked 4 months pregnant. Really. The weight is dropping, but my belly just sticks out more than normal on days I eat more veggies.

I ate mostly veggies, some eggs in the morning, 1/4 cup steel cut oats, frozen veggies, fish, and salad stuff.

This morning, my stomach went down a bit. Could it be from the veggies that make me look bloated?

Does anyone else get a bloated belly on a low carb veggie diet?

Btw, my protein consumption is just fine, I'm actually eating more protein grams than required on my 30-40-40 diet.

Thanks for reading!
Random question, I was wondering what kind of dressing you use for salad? I try to eat lots of salad but I never like the dressings (if their diet approved). Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChantelJean View Post
Random question, I was wondering what kind of dressing you use for salad? I try to eat lots of salad but I never like the dressings (if their diet approved). Any suggestions? Thanks!
Try Trader Joe's Light Champagne Vinaigrette Dressing. It's 50 cals for 2 Tablespoons. Or Trader Joe's Raspberry Vinaigrette, also low cal.

I also like Light House's Gorgonzola Champagne Pear Vinaigrette Dressing. It's low cal and tastes good.

All of the above taste great with some feta cheese, sliced almonds, and sliced strawberries/blueberries.

Have fun w/ these suggestions!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beila View Post
Try Trader Joe's Light Champagne Vinaigrette Dressing. It's 50 cals for 2 Tablespoons. Or Trader Joe's Raspberry Vinaigrette, also low cal.

I also like Light House's Gorgonzola Champagne Pear Vinaigrette Dressing. It's low cal and tastes good.

All of the above taste great with some feta cheese, sliced almonds, and sliced strawberries/blueberries.

Have fun w/ these suggestions!
Thank you! I found one earlier today that I'll use for my lunch. Annie's Naturals Red Wine and Olive Oil. Hope it is good! I would love to try to TJ's Light Champagne Vinaigrette! I just moved to KC, MO and haven't found one near me yet :/ How is your tummy feeling now? Diet going well?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChantelJean View Post
Thank you! I found one earlier today that I'll use for my lunch. Annie's Naturals Red Wine and Olive Oil. Hope it is good! I would love to try to TJ's Light Champagne Vinaigrette! I just moved to KC, MO and haven't found one near me yet :/ How is your tummy feeling now? Diet going well?
Quick update...I've found that the bloatedness can be due to water retention and having very fibrous veggies (like kale). I didn't realize that eating too much veg can cause water retention too. With all that fiber, you have to drink water in order for it do go down and digest. And with more water, well the swelling continues.

Lately, I have sort of cut back on the veg and found a good balance between veg and other things like cottage cheese, brown rice pasta, and lean cuts of meat. Just eating veggies all the time really makes my stomach stick out. Part of it also has to do with not feeling completely full from veggies, and then having to eat more veggies. However a meal balanced with veggies and protein and grains makes me satiated.

Anyhoo...that's conclusion I made from my bloated veggie stomach problem!

Last edited by Beila; 07-02-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I'm wondering this too. Two days ago the doctor told me to eat only 10% fat due to suspected gallstones, and yesterday involved rather more fruit and veg than usual as I tried to get enough calories into me. Now admittedly I'd been on codeine the day before, which generally leaves me constipated the next morning, but even so I don't usually end up spending the next day with my stomach gurgling and madly gassy. This morning I hopped on the scale and I'm 1.4lb up! I dived straight into the low-fat side of things since I'd had a pretty nasty day of it with abdominal pain, but now I'm wondering whether I should reduce my fat intake (and thus increase the fruit and veggies to compensate for the calories) more gradually.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
I'm wondering this too. Two days ago the doctor told me to eat only 10% fat due to suspected gallstones, and yesterday involved rather more fruit and veg than usual as I tried to get enough calories into me. Now admittedly I'd been on codeine the day before, which generally leaves me constipated the next morning, but even so I don't usually end up spending the next day with my stomach gurgling and madly gassy. This morning I hopped on the scale and I'm 1.4lb up! I dived straight into the low-fat side of things since I'd had a pretty nasty day of it with abdominal pain, but now I'm wondering whether I should reduce my fat intake (and thus increase the fruit and veggies to compensate for the calories) more gradually.
I'm not a nutritionist or doctor, but if the doctor suggested a type of diet or foods to eat or avoid due to your possible gallstones, please adhere to the recommendations. We all need fat for our health, and reducing your fat intake from an already low fat diet, may cause problems too. I do know this fact though...bile is secreted by your gallbladder in order to help with the digestion of fats (emulsification of fat). If you don't have that much fat in your diet, less bile is secreted, and thus your less of your gallbladder will be functioning since it has less of a need to secrete bile. Your possible gallstone problem can be remedied the natural way too. If you look up websites on "gallstone flush" you'll see things that you can eat to ease the problems you experience if it is in fact due to gallstones.