General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #1  
Kittytatts

S/C/G: 198/186/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Replacement shakes

Does anyone use replacement shakes? And if so, what are some of the best ones?
Kittytatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #2  
Boobooyamma

S/C/G: 174/172/135

Height: 5'4"

I used Slim Fast for a while... I ended up very hungry and unsatisfied. There may be better ones... but that's my experience. I like the eat less strategy much better... cuz you're actually eating!
boobooyamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I find low-carb, high protein smoothies as filling as other meals. I wouldn't want to have them for every meal, but there isn't any meal I'd want to have every meal, every day.

For me, they work best for breakfast, or once in a while, lunch. I make my own using whey protein powder (plain, unflavored).

I googled for recipes and also borrowed from the library, the book Low-Carb Smoothies by Dana Carpender.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #4  

Smile Best shakes

Hi,
I like Health Management resources (HMR) because they were used at my local hospital and provide sound nutrition. On the downside they are very overpriced but I bite the bullet as they work and keep me healthy.
Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/175/140

Height: 5'4

Look for ones with low/no suger and higher protein. Try Atkins or EAS
Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 171/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

I am in NO WAY affiliated with Beachbody but I will tell you... their chocolate meal replacement shake mix is AMAZING!!! It is so so so good! It's about $50 for the 30 servings tub, and each serving has 15g of protein, 15g carbs and 2g fat. I absolutely love it!
uwfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #7  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwfan27 View Post
I am in NO WAY affiliated with Beachbody but I will tell you... their chocolate meal replacement shake mix is AMAZING!!! It is so so so good! It's about $50 for the 30 servings tub, and each serving has 15g of protein, 15g carbs and 2g fat. I absolutely love it!
At that price, it better do more than taste amazing. BB is far too proud of its products.
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

I just started mixing my Lean Complete vanilla protein powder with 1 cup unsweetened Almond milk and the Yoplait Smoothie stuff. IT IS SO GOOD! I am really happy with it this way. I am sure that any vanilla flavored protein powder would work with it.

I just know having the whey protein and low/no sugar is important.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #9  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Stacy, I just asked you this ? in IM!
I use NOW Whey Protein Isolate Natural Vanilla--Amazon
Cals:230
Fat: 0.6g
Cholesterol: 9mg
Protein: 50g
Sugar: 5g
Carb: 7g
Sodium: 90mg
Stevia: 75mg
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Owner View Post

Stacy, I just asked you this ? in IM!
I use NOW Whey Protein Isolate Natural Vanilla--Amazon
Cals:230
Fat: 0.6g
Cholesterol: 9mg
Protein: 50g
Sugar: 5g
Carb: 7g
Sodium: 90mg
Stevia: 75mg
That's funny- I was thinking that when I answered!!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

I make smoothies for breakfast for me and DH

I use Ergogenics Nutrition Isolate Whey Protein in the vanilla falvour. It is super pure and only has the protein vanilla bean and stevia in it.

For 1 35g scoop it has 130 calories, 0 fat, 1 carb and 31 g of protein. I have drank it with just water sometimes but I like to use it in smoothies.

Ok so for me I usually have either
1 cup of chocolate unsweetened almond milk which is 45 cal, 4g fat, 3g carb, 1g fibre, 2g protein
1 scoop protein
1 ice cube

which is super yummy and is only 175 cal, 4g fat, 4g carb, 1g fibre, 33g protein

I usually eat a cup of berries after my shake and sometimes a half once of walnuts

or I have

4 oz skim milk
4 oz unsweetened almond milk
1 scoop of protein
3/4 c strawberries
1/4c of blueberries

which is also very yummy and is only 250 cal 2g fat 10g carb 4g fibre 37g protein

both these shake keep me feeling satisfied for 2-3 hours.

I will also have a half scoop of protein in either water or unsweetened almond milk as my protein in a snack

DH loves having
1 scoop protein
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 small frozen banana
1 TBSP chia seeds

He says this tastes better then the chocolate banana milkshake he used to get at the ice cream shop. My 3 year old also loves "stealing" sips of this shake
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #12  
Junk Warrior

S/C/G: 275/241/180

Height: 5'10

Whatever shake powder you use it's best to spend a little extra and get the good kind. I use muscle milk. it has two forms of protein one that goes straight into muscle and the other to keep hunger suppressed. Most shakes have a lot of sugar and one kind of protein, resulting in you being hungry an hour later. you can by muscle milk at costco for a decent price. lots of nurses and doctors use it at my moms work.
BowandArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #13  

BowandArcher could u give some more info on the muscle milk please? Are u actually losing weight on this? The reason I ask is I loved it but was told that u can't lose weight on this that it is actually to bulk up..Thanks
Alrysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrysi View Post
BowandArcher could u give some more info on the muscle milk please? Are u actually losing weight on this? The reason I ask is I loved it but was told that u can't lose weight on this that it is actually to bulk up..Thanks

This is entirely untrue. The content of the muscle and weight gaining shakes are often identicle to the weight loss shakes. It's often not the product themselves, it's how they're used. For weight loss, high protein products prevent you from losing muscle. For muscle gain, the high protein products help you build muscle. As to gaining or losing weight, it's all a matter of calories (and for some people to a lesser degree carbs).

You can lose weight on anything, if your calories are low enough to produce a deficit.

You do have to check fat and carb content, because some of the weight-gaining formulas contain more fat/carb/calories, but as long as you were budgeting your calories/carbs you could lose weight on either product.

Also, ironically many of the muscle and weight gaining products are very similar to the weight loss products (check the ingredient lable and the carb/fat/protein/fiber content).

A few years ago, I was in a Walmart or Target and I noticed by reading the label that the store's weight loss shake (the store brand version of Slim Fast) and the weight gain shake (the store brand version of Ensure) were identical. The ingredients were the same (in the same order) and the nutrition labels were identical too - the only difference was the can and box labels.

To lose weight, you'd have to eat less than you burn, and to gain you'd have to eat more. The shakes can help you do either.

The protein powders are the same. If you're wanting to build muscle, they can help you do that (oif you're working your muscles, otherwise, you're just going to store the excess as fat and you're eating enough calories to maintain your weight). If you're wanting to lose weight, the protein powder helps prevent muscle loss, but you'll only lose weight if you're eating less than you're burning.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-19-2011 at 06:34 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #15  

kaplods thank u so much for this information, I was really upset when I was told it would make me bulk up. It tastes good and I was actually feeling better while on this shake..
Alrysi is offline   Reply With Quote