General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #1  

Default Really...

What do you all think of this? Its a short video along with an article explaining the video. I am curious to see what others take from it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/15/yoplait-pulls-ad-that-pos_n_877618.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl3|sec1_lnk1|70867#s292650&title=iMac
RiverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #2  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I always just thought of it as another dumb commercial, but now that I think about it, I can kind of see what they're saying. I have had all of those same thoughts when deciding whether I wanted to eat something "bad". I just figured this was normal, like everyone does that, right?
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #3  

I actually think it is ridiculous to pull a harmless commercial like that because a few people might "go off the deep end." If someone is that mentally ill that a simple commercial on TV can send them over the edge, I think that maybe that person needs to be in a hospital. One guy made a comment about it that I have to agree with: Based on this issue, should every single beer commercial be removed because they might drive a recovering alcoholic to drink again? Should all food commercials be removed because they might drive a bulimic person to binge eat? Should all pharmaceutical commercials be banned because it might drive a chemically dependent person to get high?

To me, part of recovering from a problem like that includes learning to live in the real world where you are exposed to things that are challenging to deal with. The rest of the world should not have to censor itself in order to accommodate only those who are recovering from problems.
RiverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HWK256/SW247/239/150

Height: 5'5"

I've seen this commercial quite a few times and honestly, that never can to mind. I mean we could probably rationalize everything off of promotional ads if we wanted too.
dancinginpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HWK256/SW247/239/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverWind View Post

To me, part of recovering from a problem like that includes learning to live in the real world where you are exposed to things that are challenging to deal with. The rest of the world should not have to censor itself in order to accommodate only those who are recovering from problems.

^^^ This, agreed.
dancinginpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

You know... I just thought it was a dumb commercial when I saw it.

Here's why I thought it was dumb:

Do women really need to go through this sort of bargaining system EVER with food? I think that's what's unhealthy about it.

I get that what they were trying to say is "Our yogurt is both good and good for you" "You don't have to compromise". (Even though I think it's not that great tasting.) But, it comes across (as a commercial) as a little sad and obsessive.

I kind of filed it like I do stupid beer commercials that show women running in bathing suits to rescue men from bad beer... dumb. And never going to convince me to buy their product.

Last edited by Lovely; 06-16-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Clarifying.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

People are just dumb cry babies. Sheesh. Nothing else to say here other than that is NOT what I got out of this commercial. Only negative thing to say about it, is that the yogert doesn't taste like cheesecake in any kind of way. lol
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote