Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 06:31 PM   #1  
Lil Hippie Vegan Mommy

Talking Hi...New Here

Hi, my name is Michelle...Raelynn invited me over. Here is a little about me

I am 28. I live in Arizona with my two year old son Alex. I am now 88 pounds over weight. When I started I was 105 pounds over weight, but in the last month I have lost 17 pounds.

I decided to go Vegan (total vegitarian..nothing that ever was in or part of an animal) I even changed all my beauty products and health care products to totally animal free and animal testing free as well. I am feeling GREAT and I have lost more in inches than in pounds because I am not only doing cardio walking, but I am doing toning as well.

I am an AP mommy and you will find that I totally go against the flow in everything I do but don't hold that against me...I am just rebellious

I am so excited that Rae invited me here. It looks like a great group with lots of support
Old 05-29-2003, 06:34 PM   #2  
Lil Hippie Vegan Mommy

Oh I forgot to explain...in my siggy the little froggie counter is my weight and my mini weight goal. My long term goal is 130 pounds, but I HAVE to reach 170 by the 1st of Spetember in order to be accepted for new health insurance...so that is why it is set to 170 pounds instead of 130...I thought if I saw the 170 goal for now, it would make it easier for me to stay motivated and not feel over whelmed.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:41 PM   #3  

hey michelle~
WELCOME!!!!
congrats on your decision to go vegan- was it a tough transition?
what do you do for protein? beans, legumes? i have about 45-50 lbs to lose and am sort of doing a low carb thing. still havent found the "RIGHT" answer for me and my lifestyle- about to be divorced, mom of 3 (12,9,4). so again, welcome, and if you have any great legume recipes, i'm lookin'.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:45 PM   #4  

Welcome Michelle,

So glad to have you join us!! Forgive my stupidity, but what is an AP Mommy?

It sounds like you're doing great and should be really proud of yourself!! What are you doing for toning?

Welcome aboard and post often!
Old 05-29-2003, 07:02 PM   #5  

Welcome glad you found us Feel free to post often and ask any questions. You can help us as much as we help you!
Old 05-29-2003, 07:06 PM   #6  
Lil Hippie Vegan Mommy

Hi Snflwr....For protein, I eat LOTS and LOTS of tofu and soy products. I think I even exceed my protein requirements. My son has been another story...he is Vegan too..I had to buy some HIGHT protein soymilk for him...he does not like tofu. I too am a divorced mommy...It's hard with only one child...I can only imagine the stress you are going through with three little ones.

Hi Mthrgoose...AP is Alternative Parenting...co-sleeping, extended Breastfeeding, no vaccinations, baby wearing, home schooling (right now I am un-schooling), etc..you know, everything that makes me stand out
Old 05-29-2003, 07:07 PM   #7  

Welcome Michelle,

So glad you came here to join us! You will find a lot of support here.

If you're looking for vegan recipes, have you tried John MacDougall's books? He and his wife (her name is Mary) have published about five or six vegan cookbooks. Your library probably has them. PETA has a few cookbooks too. Are your kids vegan as well?

I'm a former (unfortunately) lacto-ovo vegetarian. While pregnant, I craved chicken, and gave in...I haven't been able to give up chicken or turkey again since. I NEVER eat red meat. I haven't had the resolve to give up poultry again yet. Hopefully someday. My almost fourteen year old niece gave up meat at the age of six, and is still a vegetarian. I'm very proud of her.

Pardon my ignorance, too, but I don't know what AP mommy means either. I work for the Advanced Placement program, so when I see those letters, I think of work!

You may enjoy "Mothering" magazine as well as the MacDougall books.

OOPS-you replied to some of my questions while I was typing my post-okay I see the AP and vegan child questions were already answered-thanks!

Welcome again-

Sherry
Old 05-29-2003, 07:20 PM   #8  

Welcome Michelle! Glad Raelynn told you about this board. Congrats on the successes you've already had.

Wow. it's funny to see your list of what AP parents do. . We are adopting our first baby toward the end of the year and are reading up on co-sleeping, and baby-wearing. . .we are very interested in attachment parenting (getting the book by William Sears). I had not idea this was 'alternative.' I'm so mainstream usually, this cracks me up!

Again, welcome! I look forward to seeing you around here.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:43 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

What the heck is baby wearing?

AP parenting sounds very cool. If you ever need any tofu recipes, I'll be happy to share.

Welcome welcome welcome. Did Raelynn tell you about the membership fee?
Old 05-29-2003, 08:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Welcome! You've already had impressive success. I'd like to know what baby wearing is, too.

Hey, Angi, I don't remember if you mentioned the age of the child you will adopt, but I know of a woman who adopted a baby and breastfed him. He didn't get his nourishment that way, but it was a good bonding experience. She spent quite a few months preparing herself.

I had my children at home, which was a great experience and one I highly recommend. I breastfed my son longer than was "normal" (2 years) for the time (late 70s). Never could sleep with the kids, though.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:53 PM   #11  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

Yay Michelle you made it! I'm so glad you're here.

Jessica
Old 05-29-2003, 09:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

welcome! you sound great, we'll love to have ya!
Old 05-29-2003, 11:16 PM   #13  
Big Loser Wannabe

Hi Michelle,

I am new here too I know alot of AP parents, it is not so out of the norm these days, but I always called it attachment parenting Its nice to have you here
Old 05-30-2003, 12:24 AM   #14  
Lil Hippie Vegan Mommy

Angi, how wonderful that you and your husband are adopting! One of my closest friends just adopted a baby. What a little gift from God she is She too is going the AP way...it blesses my heart Granted, MOST AP mommies are not as extreme as I am. It took over three years and one miscarriage to get my little boy, so I think I am so overly cautious with him that it has caused me to be so anti-norm As far as not vaccinating, it is because I have vaccine sensitivity in my family line . I just could not take the chance with Alex. After researching all of the statistics out there, I just decided that they were not for us.

Jessica…Baby wearing is simply using a sling instead of using the crib during chores, or the stroller during walking or shopping. However, now that Alex is 25 pounds, the sling gets to be a bit heavy …I still carry him a lot…more than I should probably….NOW, let’s talk about this fee

Hillary…AP typically IS associated with Attachment Parenting, but my style goes well beyond Attachment Parenting. I use to belong to a group called AlternaMommies, and the AP stood for Alternative…basically the same thing, just a bit more radical.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:57 AM   #15  

Welcome! Congrats on your weightloss so far! This is a great place for support. I am still kinda new here too.
Closed Thread