Old 06-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 147/135.3/127-132

Height: 5'2"ish

Default taste the freakin' rainbow... urgh

Trying to figure out how to get more blue/purple & white veggies in our diet. Could use more orange/yellow probably too.

I'd like to try to eat something from every color everyday. It seems like a good idea. I just need to find a way to sneak some of this into my man's food. He's even more picky than I am & that takes work!

Oh here's a link to what I am talking about:
http://www.disabled-world.com/artman...getables.shtml
bluemonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Yay, antioxidants! The regular ones- blueberries, tomatoes, etc everyone knows what to do with, but there are a few slightly off the beaten path that are my favorites:

Beets: Pickled, like you find at the salad bar. Yum

Red cabbage: you can cook them in white wine and apples (lots of recipes online) or in a delicious Asian salad with peanut sauce (essentially peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, and ginger)

Red/Orange/Yellow Bell Peppers: Thai stir fir (these + a protein sauteed in a jar of Thai sauce from the grocery store, or make your own with peanuts, coconut milk, and red chili paste). Or kebabs.

Pumpkin: soooo many options. I love baking low-fat, low-cal pumpkin bread, or pumpkin protein cookies with soy flour. Or pumpkin muffins.

Eggplant: eggplant parmesean!

Pomegranates: delicious, just as they are
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

The blue that you hear most strongly recommended for health is blueberries (or to a lesser degree, blackberries). I've even heard folks recommend you eat them every day. I buy large bags of frozen blueberries. My husband cooks them with his oatmeal. I defrost them in the microwave and eat them with NF yogurt and a little truvia.

Most people like tomato sauce, and that counts for red (and tomato sauce is particularly good for helping to fend off prostate cancer!). Add some extra garlic and onion to the sauce for some powerful white phytochemicals. Instead of sauce, you could also use salsa.

Good luck!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #4  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

I suppose cauliflower counts as white? Hungry Girl was on tv this morning with a recipe called "I can't believe it's not potato salad" that was made with cauliflower. Looked yummy! You can also make mock-mashed potatoes with it.

My favorite orange veggie is sweet potato. I like to cut them into large chunks and steam them, then add a little low-cal butter spray, some cinnamon and a little splenda (or sugar or other sub depending on your plan). Or, just the butter and a little salt, which brings out it's natural sweetness. Now I want a sweet potato!
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #5  

I am going to attempt to make vegetable beef soup with every color. Not sure how the red cabbage or cauliflower is going to work but we shall see. If it sucks too bad, it's our food for the next several days. I am limited in what I can use because my man is doing low carb.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #6  

Some great ideas here, thanks for sharing them! :-)

~Monique
MoniqueDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

How do you feel about mushrooms? Onions? Aubergines [eggplant]? Red grapes? Plums/prunes? And apparently bananas count as white too, which at least makes more sense than dates being in that category.

I think it sounds a bit daft to stick all that closely to the rainbow idea, just eat lots of fruit and veg and get a nice variety, but out of curiosity I had a look at the list, and I'm doing reasonably well. I'm not eating every colour every single day, but who on earth is? Mind you, I think I managed it yesterday.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #8  

Pumpkin & sweet potatoes make me gag. I love eggplant but my man HATES it so I never make it. He is so picky.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Yeah, I tried to introduce mine to the joys of avocado, and unfortunately it was a slightly underripe avocado and he has refused to go near them since. Not even if they're hidden in veggie sushi, and usually when I make sushi I have to stand in front of the fridge, guarding it so that he won't wolf them down before the rest of the meal is done.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
Pumpkin & sweet potatoes make me gag.
In what form does it make you gag? That's why I'd recommend trying to cook with it, it's a completely different consistency and slightly different taste.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
I am going to attempt to make vegetable beef soup with every color. Not sure how the red cabbage or cauliflower is going to work but we shall see. If it sucks too bad, it's our food for the next several days. I am limited in what I can use because my man is doing low carb.
Cauliflower in soup is great. Be aware that purple veggies often "leak" color... your soup may turn reddish from the cabbage. I know from experience that purple cauliflower or blue potatoes will make some freaky looking soup, haha, but I've never tried with the red cabbage.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:26 AM   #12  

Pumpkin & sweet potatoes make me gag in any form. Pie, fried, in fritters, baked, tempura, in other things. Does not matter, totally cannot stand it. Even the sweet potato veggie chips... yuck.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #13  

Quote:
Pumpkin & sweet potatoes make me gag in any form. Pie, fried, in fritters, baked, tempura, in other things. Does not matter, totally cannot stand it. Even the sweet potato veggie chips... yuck.
There was a woman at Weight Watchers years ago who swore that one of her secret weapons was the canned pumpkin mixed with some Splenda and spices and heated a bit. If pumpkin pie does not turn you off that may be an avenue. Also pumpkin puree works really well in a spicy curry soup. It adds creaminess and the flavor is not pronounced
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

I just got a juicer and am trying to force myself to eat vegetables THAT way.... nearly projectile vomited when I tried to drink a juice that was, oh, about 70 percent carrots, 20 percent kale, and 20 percent strawberries (which really brought out the gag-inducing carrot taste!

Sweet potatoes are such a great food, and I'm definitely going to try that cauliflower recipe!
narf06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #15  
Reluctant Adult

Here's a favorite old recipe of mine that incorporates a ton of different-colored veggies into one fabulous dish. Super low calorie. It's basically a ratatouille.

1 eggplant, diced in 1" squares
1 onion, diced
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, diced (green works fine, too)
4-5 medium tomatoes, diced
8-10 oz. mushrooms, sliced
3-4 cloves of garlic, diced or pressed (to taste)
chopped fresh basil to taste (I like lots, at least a quarter cup)
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 tsp olive oil

Heat oil gently in skillet. Add eggplant, mushrooms, onion, celery and garlic; saute briefly or until onion is soft. Add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer gently till tomatoes are cooked down and remaining vegetables are tender.

You can also do this on the grill by simply dividing all ingredients between 4 foil packets, dousing lightly with olive oil and cook for about half an hour at medium heat.

Top with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if desired.

In addition to being a fantastic side dish, I like to use this as an omelet filling for breakfast. Great way to get in those vegetables first thing in the morning! Also nice over whole grain pasta.

And I didn't used to like eggplant, either.

Hope this helps!
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote