South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #1  

Default Gaining weight in phase 2

Long time lurker, first time posting.

I'm on south beach diet for the past 6 months. I started of with 184 /w goal of 155lb. Everything was going fine till 3 months ago, when I reached 168 lb. I stalled and was stuck in 168 for a month. After that I have started to gain weight slowly and I'm now 172.

My diet details -

- Vegetarian.
- Don't eat rice or bread (not even brown/whole).
- One apple or 25 grapes per day
- 2 cups of skim milk
- Omelet (4/5 days/week) or Steel cut Oats (2/3 days/week) for breakfast
- Snack: Fried green gram, 10/15 almonds, 20 peanuts or pistachios, cheese sticks
- Rest of my caloric needs are fulfilled by cooked vegetables/soup and salad.

Is there anything inherently wrong with my diet? Am I eating too low carbs?

Please help. I'm becoming desperate now. More than gaining weight, I have gained back fat in the belly and chest area and I don't know what to do.

Last edited by anotherhawkeye; 06-13-2011 at 10:02 PM.
anotherhawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherhawkeye View Post
Fried green gram
What is this?

I don't know why you would be gaining unless your portion sizes are overly large. Can you be a little more specific in listing your daily menu? You're vegetarian but you eat eggs? Do you eat any added fats besides the nuts? Do you eat more than 1 nut serving a day? How many servings of cheese? Some people don't lose well if they eat too much cheese. Where are you getting your protein from besides the omelet and cheese? Need a little more info, maybe estimate your daily calorie intake.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 270/see ticker/GW 150

Height: 5'9"

Thats the only thing I can think of re: too low on carbs... I know an important part of the diet is good carbs and the nutrients they provide, but I'll let the more seasoned ladies help you out. You'll most likely get more answers in the morning!
Also I'm sure they might say you've reached your natural weight. Like, for my height I technically should be around 150. I know that won't happen (I probably haven't been 150 since I was 13) and looked my best at 170/175. Your body might be telling you that you've gotten to the weight its meant to be at.
YeahYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
What is this?

I don't know why you would be gaining unless your portion sizes are overly large. Can you be a little more specific in listing your daily menu? You're vegetarian but you eat eggs? Do you eat any added fats besides the nuts? Do you eat more than 1 nut serving a day? How many servings of cheese? Some people don't lose well if they eat too much cheese. Where are you getting your protein from besides the omelet and cheese? Need a little more info, maybe estimate your daily calorie intake.
Thanks for the response.

Green gram is a type of bean. You get the fried version in ethnic stores. Look for Mung_bean in wiki (can't post links yet).

> You're vegetarian but you eat eggs?

I'm a Lacto-ovo- vegetarian: egg and dairy are the only animal products I take. No meat or seafood.

> Do you eat any added fats besides the nuts? Do you eat more than 1 nut serving a day? How many servings of cheese?

My main fat sources: Olive oil used to cook the vegetables,1 cheese stick I take for morning snack, omelet. Some times I munch on nuts and may be eat 2 servings in a day. Cheese - 1 cheese stick + may be some cheese on the omelet once in a while.

> Where are you getting your protein from besides the omelet and cheese?

Those + 2 cups of milk + nuts. I also eat a lot of beans. Not every day, say every other day. When I used to count calories (before SBD), my protein intake used to be about 40 grams.

> Need a little more info, maybe estimate your daily calorie intake.

I don't have a estimate of calorie intake, I'll get one from livestrong and will post it tomorrow.

Last edited by anotherhawkeye; 06-13-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahYeah View Post
Also I'm sure they might say you've reached your natural weight. Like, for my height I technically should be around 150. I know that won't happen (I probably haven't been 150 since I was 13) and looked my best at 170/175. Your body might be telling you that you've gotten to the weight its meant to be at.
I hope not.

More than weight, I'm more concerned about the resurgence of belly and chest fat. I could live with 165lb, if only I lose the remaining belly fat. Instead of losing, I have started putting on fat in those areas. Even though I have gained only 4lb, I almost feel like I have gained every inch I lost in belly fat.

Last edited by anotherhawkeye; 06-13-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 182.5/175.6/150

Height: 5'6

Do you exercise? If not definitely start resistance/weight training 3x a week and don't be afraid to lift heavy. Also, look into doing HITT (high intensity interval training) at least 3x a week. And then of course 2x a week you could do other cardio like biking, brisk walking, swimming ect..
nat4crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8"

Hope it's ok to ask: how old are you? I'm 44, and for the last couple of years all my fat has migrated to my belly area. What you need to do if this happens is to increase your monounsaturated fats: evoo, nuts, olives, etc. Try to have some at each meal. Also, DON'T cut your fat intake. This is coming up so much on this board. You need at least 2 tbsp. of healthy fat in addition to whatever occurs naturally in your eggs, cheese, and nuts. You'll stop losing if you cut fat, and it's not good for your body.

Try calorie cycling too if you're stuck: try 2 days per week with a very low calorie intake, 4 days regular (the 2 days should not be consecutive) and one day with a relatively high caloric intake (think maintenance calories). That will shake your body up. And yes to the exercise suggestion.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmckellen View Post
Hope it's ok to ask: how old are you? I'm 44, and for the last couple of years all my fat has migrated to my belly area.
^this!! Darned it!!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 161/133.8/135

Height: 5'6"

anotherhawkeye, I agree with you, logging your foods into livestrong will give you lots of info. If you log your foods for a week or two and then start making adjustments and seeing how your body reacts, it's a good game plan.

I didn't start losing on phase 2 until I cut my calories a bit (doesn't look like that's your issue though) and kept my carbs close to 100g per day.

I agree with the above posters, I started putting on belly fat in my late 40's and it's the first place I put on weight and the last to go I am trying to get it all off before I hit menopause which should happen in the next few years.
nanjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #10  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

40 gms. of protein seems pretty low too. The RDA for protein in women is higher than that. I've read you should get 0.8 grams of protein per Kilogram of body weight which is the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for low levels of activity, 1.1 grams for moderate activity, and 1.4 grams for vigorous activity. For your weight that would be about 62 gms. per day if you are inactive, more if you exercise.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #11  

Thanks every one for the responses. I logged today's diet in living strong. Here are the stats:

Total calories:

Fat:
47 g

Carbs:
140 g

Fiber:
37 g

Protein:
69 g

Sugars:
51 g

Didn't realize I consume so much carbs and proteins. I'll keep track of it for a week. What do think so far?

Last edited by anotherhawkeye; 06-14-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 161/133.8/135

Height: 5'6"

I was over at livestrong the other day, lots of good info there. I found some info saying that low carb is less than 50g a day (Yikes!), moderate weight loss was 50 -100g a day and gradual weight loss is 100-150g per day.

I think your calories look great, but I wonder if you lower your carbs a bit you will get started moving on your loss.

Personally I don't feel well on less than 100g a day so I won't and don't want to go there and I like fruit too much to live without it. I am such a geek, I find I love logging my food, it really does help me stop and think before I eat.

Last edited by nanjmc; 06-15-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: grammar
nanjmc is offline   Reply With Quote