Old 06-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 147/120

Height: 5'6

Default How do you season steamed vegetables?

Plain steamed veggies can be so boring sometimes. I'm not the best in the kitchen, so I'd like to find some good methods to seasoning vegetables. I'm thinking sauces or I guess some fresh herbs? I just have no idea what would go well with what. I am not really a picky eater.

What are some of yalls favorite ways to eat steamed veggies?

We roast a lot of veggies with just olive oil, salt and pepper and that always turns out really good, but we're wanting to switch things up occasionally.
Kasey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #2  
Feel the <3

S/C/G: 170/166/115

Height: 5ft 3in

Asparagus in the oven with olive oil and salt/pepper is the best! Yum.
I like to just hit the produce section to see which herbs are fresh and in season. The best way is through experimenting
Another great way to add flavor is when you heat up your olive oil, to add some fresh garlic.

And congrats on your weight loss!
Ally Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #3  

Asparagus is one of my favorites, it's SO good. I like heating olive oil and then adding garlic for greens. I've seen people add red pepper flakes on the food network so I'll have to try that too.

Experimenting with fresh herbs is something I've never done. Sounds so simple, but I just get lazy sometimes and go for the familiar :/ I will have to give it a try soon.

Thanks Ally!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #4  

One thing I like to do is mix various vegetables. A few peas tossed in with the spinach provides a sweet contrast for example.

Also "steaming" is not necessarily the only low cal option. I use a pan with a tight fitting lid and only add enough water to let the vegetables cook - no water remaining at the end. I think this is better than throwing out the nutrients with the excess water. You have to keep on it so that you do not scorch them.

An easy trick is to use parmesan cheese (even the green can!) as the salt to season your vegetables before serving. Just toss a teaspoon or so with the hot vegetables.

You can also start any vegetable prep with onion or onion & garlic. I like to slice in thin half moons rather than dicing. The onion becomes more a vegetable than a seasoning to my taste. In a non stick skillet or one sprayed with cooking spray or even in a bit of oil. Then add your vegetable like maybe summer squash in slices and cover, stirring now and again. If you get the onions a bit caramelized not much more than a touch of salt is needed.

Fresh herbs can be pricey. Consider getting a pot of basil - many markets now sell them for the same price as a bunch- but because it is still alive it will last a few weeks. Basil is great with summer squash.

A tiny splash of balsamic vinegar or a squeeze of citrus (lemon, orange, whatever you have) brightens up most vegetables.

Good luck!

Last edited by tommy; 06-07-2011 at 02:22 PM.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Grated lemon (or lime or orange, for that matter) rind over steamed veg is good. Then also squeeze the juice. Freshly ground black pepper...there really is a big differnce in the freshly ground over the powdered kind from the can. I also use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and a light sprinkle of garlic powder, too. Good on green beans.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #6  

Thanks for the suggestions Tommy and Annie. Those all sound really good. I will be trying some out tomorrow.

Tommy- I like your alternative to steaming veggies. Never thought to do that.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #7  
going somewhere....

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/125

Height: 5'2

Also dry some of the salt free Mrs. Dash, they have lemon pepper, and a dill one...I love those. They can also be used in chicken/tuna salad, and on meat before you grill or bake.....
ready4skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

i use a garlic seasoning.. its premixed with dried garlic and herbs and its really yummie!! i don tknow the brand/name but it comes in a large (or small) plastic rectangular jar with i believe a red or orange shake lid..

I LOVE GARLIC!!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

tsp olive oil + salt + pepper + lots o' lemon juice = yum!!

you can chop up some cilantro or a pinch of cumin and sprinkle it on the veggies too for variation.
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

For roasted vegetables I use simply olive oil, salt and pepper.

Steamed veggies I dash on a little Lemon Pepper. From time to time a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'2"

I use a smidge of garlic, or lemon/lime juice with a pinch of salt or pepper!
mimi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I don't like steamed veggies much so i try to avoid them and cook my veggies in all sorts of other ways.

However my suggestions are 1 tbsp of tzatziki or even plain yoghurt. Tzatziki is yoghurt with garlic in it.

You can eat your veggies cold and put a dressing on them made with 1 tsp olive oil and 1tsp red wine vinegar, crushed black pepper.

You can add a fine sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds.

Or you can turn your steamed veggies into a big warm salad with chick peas and other legumes and make a whole dish out of it. I'm posting my legume salad in another thread which i might call big satisfying low cal salad meal!
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote