Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #1  
working on the outside

S/C/G: 276/224/176

Height: 5'11

Question a pound a day???

Ok guys, I have a question. A few weeks ago, I decided to start doing low-carb. It's the only thing I've never tried. I've been settling into a low-carb lifestyle over the last couple weeks, getting used to it. Just about a week ago I started working out more. Everyday I run or jog, or walk fast with the baby, or do pilates and yoga or calisthenics of some kind. I try to switch it up so I don't get bored. So for the last week I have been keeping my calories at about 1000, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, and keeping my carbs under 120 at all times. I've been drinking a good amount of water because I love water. Water has never been an issue. I have lost about a pound a day for the last week. Other forums and sites say that if you lose a pound a day it's most likely water weight and you will gain it back. I don't plan on ever going back to my old diet or lifestyle. I am also overweight, and I've heard that you lose fast in the beginning when you are overweight. Do you guys think I am losing water weight only? Or am I legitimately losing weight? Thanks for any responses.
pretty on the inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #2  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

How are your clothes fitting? Get a tape measure and go by measurements too. Also, 1000 calories a day is most likely way too low for your height. You've got to give yourself space to eat less as your body weight/size decreases. Atkins is high fat/moderate protein/low carb and if your calorie count is that low, chances are you aren't getting the fat you need. Personally I don't think there's any such thing as too fast or too slow - I lost 99 lbs in 6 months on very low carb, but I didn't track my calories, just my carbs, and I ate plenty. In fact the first few weeks I'd have, like, 3 steaks for dinner if I wanted. The measurement thing is a good way to annotate water loss versus fat loss, though.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

The following are the "most of the time true for most people, but not always true for everyone" things:

A) People who weigh more do tend to lose more at least to start.

B) At the start of most diets a person usually does lose a lot of weight. Usually the first week or two is very normal to see a huge drop.

C) After the first couple weeks a person settles into losing weight at their own normal pace. If they continue to lose weight "too fast" they may actually be losing muscle (VERY BAD) instead of fat or water.

Separately:

I say this as I'm concerned for your health. You are probably going to want to up those calories. 1,000 is not a lot for a person who is 5'11". And by not a lot, I mean there are people who are about a foot shorter than you living and losing weight on 1,200 calories.

Last edited by Lovely; 06-11-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree 1000 calories is too low for your height and goal weight 1700 -1800 is more like it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #5  
working on the outside

S/C/G: 276/224/176

Height: 5'11

First of all, I want to thank you ladies for your concern. Everyone is so nice here! DCHound, my clothes are fitting really good. I will get a tape measure. Thanks for the tip. I will try to up my calories. It's not that I've been TRYING to keep my calories this low, it's just the way the balls been bouncing. It's been really hard to tweak my diet because I do have a few dietary restrictions of my own.. one being that the only meat I've eaten for the last 12 years is fish. But I do have some hangups about fish, and eggs.. so I don't eat them often. I used to joke that I was on an "ALL carb diet". lol. Now that I'm not eating cheese pizza and fettuccine Alfredo, it's been difficult to find good alternatives. I'm realizing quickly that there are only so many ways I can prepare beans. I also eat veggie fake meats and tofu, but are you ready for this? I have kind of a hangup about those. So all that is really left is beans, peanut butter, cheeses and the occasional eggs and fish. Now that I try to avoid things that you put cheese on, (tortillas, bread, exc) the cheese levels have gone way down. I also LOVE fresh fruit and veggies, but those only give you so many calories. But anyway, thanks again. I will keep tweaking!!

Oh, and BTW Lovely - I LOVE ZOMBIES!!! I am obsessed. I am right there with ya at the apocalypse, sister!!

Last edited by pretty on the inside; 06-11-2011 at 12:21 PM.
pretty on the inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Two things to consider - can you sustain 1000 calories for the duration of your weight loss and are you getting complete nutrition? It is very difficult to get complete nutrition on 1000 calories unless every single bite you eat is the most nutritious bite possible. Although peanut butter and cheese can be healthy alternatives, they are also very high in calories and don't leave a lot of room for your other nutrients. Personally, if you want to stay low carb, I'd ditch the fruit for now and keep with your veggies and I'd eat a large variety of veggies each day. Also, lots of lean proteins with salmon 2-3 times a week.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 8"

I think you are losing some of both. One thing I love about jogging is that I burn a ton of calories.
Everyone is different, but these are my average stats. I just jogged for 45 min and walked for 35 and I burned 737 (I use a body media fit armband). By the end of the day I will have burned about 3000 cals. and I will eat aprox 1500 cals. So it will take me a little more than 2 days to lose 1 lb.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198.5 /198.5 / 140

Height: 5'2"

Not being a professional this is just my opinion.

I think you are losing water weight and weight from a severe calorie restriction that is probably causing loss of muscle, hence more weight loss. I have been told that 1000 calorie a day diet is ok for very short term and should be done under a Drs care. With that low of calories and you're doing exercise I don't think your body has enough to sustain itself without "eating" muscle.

Congrats on your weight loss. I would personally though increase your caloric intake.
Joszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #9  
Munchberry

S/C/G: 295/215/168

Height: 5' 10"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post

I say this as I'm concerned for your health. You are probably going to want to up those calories. 1,000 is not a lot for a person who is 5'11". And by not a lot, I mean there are people who are about a foot shorter than you living and losing weight on 1,200 calories.
Plus you will probably be dieting for a while. If you are at 1000 calories and you reach a plateau where do you have to go calorie wise? 800 calories? You will have to exercise more and more and soon will be saying (possibly) to yourself "Jeesh, I cannot keep this up. It is not worth it" and get discouraged.

I have been there too many times to count, yet still went back to it because I wanted the weight gone NOW!

Just a thought.
Hungry4Health is offline   Reply With Quote