Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #1  
Trimming the fat

S/C/G: 163/163/120

Height: 5'1

Default I don't understand the logistics...

I know there are a lot of incredibly intelligent people here that have a wealth of knowledge on this weight loss topic. I need to tap into that for a moment and ask... how does the science of the unmoving scale work? I took some pictures back in March as kind of a record. Well, today I took photos in the same poses and outfit as the last pictures and there is an obvious difference. The scale has moved down 6 pounds in that time, which is practically nothing toward the 50 lbs I have to go. My face is also very obviously thinner. Almost acceptable enough for Facebook posting. I would like to know how the heck that works. Anyone have the answer?
LadyWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #2  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I would say muscle weight. You gained muscles which is tighter and firm, not soft and flabby like fat. so even though you lost lots of fat weight, you gained lots of muscle weight, but it looks so much better.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #3  

I don't know! lol I am on the search for the answer too. I have read that we actually don't gain more than some small amount of muscle if we workout regularly, I think its like 1-2 lbs a year or something... I forget, but its not as much as people think. (I've seen people explain like 10 lb weight gains with muscle) Sorry I couldn't be of more help! I'm in a situation where I've been this weight in my life before, but I was not this small nor did my body look like this (it looks better now than at this weight 5 years ago). I don't know what the heck happened, but here's what I figure, if you are looking better and feeling better, just stay along for the ride and be glad its not the opposite! (Losing a lot of weight and not seeing any difference)

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 06-11-2011 at 07:54 AM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

There's a difference between fat and weight.

Weight is simply what's on the scale at the time. Even some of those scales that claim to show percentages aren't 100% accurate about what they're weighing. And if you bundled up in a bunch of clothes, and the scale was higher, you'd obviously realize that those clothes are not fat showing up on the scale. Harder to see what's "not fat" inside of our bodies.

You might be losing the fat while slowly gaining some muscle, holding onto water, or have lots of food going through your digestive tract. Or a bajillion other strange body reasons. The fat is being lost, but your body still has other things inside of it that have a weight. And those "other things" still show up on the scale.

As an aside: I think this is the perfect example (and good for you!) of why it's so important to take measurements, take pictures, and have other ways of showing fat loss. Sometimes the scale doesn't move as fast as we'd like, but we're still getting closer to the way we want to look. Goes to show that the scale isn't everything.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

There is no science! No one has done any studies on this as far as I know. So it's guesswork.

My advice would be, if your weight loss is that slow, then perhaps you need to adjust your calorie intake (you don't mention what that is). Alternatively, perhaps too many of your calories are coming from a single nutrient group, like carbohydrates, and you could even that out.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I'm not sure I understand the question but I'll take a stab at it anyways.

1) We all lose weight differently but a lot of people will have their face thin out quickly as there is a massive amount of blood flow through the head. How many lbs of fat do you think you had in your face to begin with? Not much - so losing a trivial amount of fat relative to your overall goal can show up quickly.

2) Weight loss vs fat loss. Water masks fat loss. Muscle gain masks fat loss. It is difficult to determine actual fat loss without expensive testing procedures or access to somone who really knows how to handle calipers.

If you want to read about this I'll suggest the following articles.

Here

Here
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote