View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #20
ungluued

S/C/G: 152/119/120

Height: 5 ' 1.5"

As a sonographer in an obstetrics and gynecology office I have to agree and wish I could refuse to scan the very obese patients due to their weight hindering my visualization/diagnosis of their fetus. At times, we are forced to give up after three unsuccessful tries at ruling out congenital defects and they get sent to perinatology. We also have to dance around the reason to the patient because they get very offended if you say it is due to their weight. ( then they transfer out)

Patients do not have a clue how much their weight impacts the quality of their medical care. Obesity interferes with diagnosis as well as the actual execution of care. Just being obese increases your risk of infection after surgery, among other complications.

Many Obstetricians are no longer performing deliveries and doing GYN only because their malpractice insurance is ridiculously high ($ 50,000/ yr) People expect a perfect baby, regardless, and refuse to accept a poor outcome even when the OB performed to standard. The OB is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Everyone complains about the high rate of c/sections, but if a baby dies, or is injured during a vaginal delivery, the OB is sued for not doing a section. Shoulder dystocia is not always a foreseeable complication either. The OB is also stuck with assuming responsibility of midwives who withhold/delay neccessary interventions, because god forbid, your labor and delivery not be "natural". It's basically a Lose/ lose situation.

Eventually, I think we will see a shortage of OB's because it just won't be worth it for them to assume that much responsibility and pay exorbitant malpractice insurance rates.
Sorry, just my two cents.
ungluued is offline   Reply With Quote