General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Default Last Night's Extreme Makeover: Weightloss Edition

So what did you all think of last night's episode? I'm not sure if I like Chris Powell, but my heart really broke for that poor kid, losing his Mom at such a young age. I thought his transformation was amazing.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #2  

I watched it for the first time last night. Pretty tough losing 97 lbs instead of 100 and NOT get the season tix, but maybe that's part of what got him to push through and succeed.

I feel really sad for his little brothers, too. I hope he mentors them.

Chris Powell? Still on the fence with him. He obviously loves and cares for his clients, but he's a little too cheesy for me.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I was really glad to see him so happy at the end, but I thought it was absolutely ridiculous when he was upset about losing 97 lbs. instead of 100! I still like the show but I think they need to focus more on what these people are eating every day...my guess is that they don't show it because it is not much!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

I totally agree. I would love to see the diet plan laid out, and see the results from the skin removal surgery (without the clothes). So many people on here have the loose skin issue and I think it would be great to see the aftermath for someone IRL.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #5  

WARNING! It's a little gross and graphic, but here are the results of skin surgery from the client that made Chris Powell famous:

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/Da...n=progresspics
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #6  
Taking care of me.

I still think it's just a fluff show. I want to see the details of his diet. They had maybe thirty seconds out of an hour about his food. Even then, they didn't tell you much about the "imporoved" hamburger.

STill waiting for some substance.
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/233/173

Height: 5'4"

I watched this show for the first time and I was pretty disappointed. Too much drama and not enough substance.
osaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 450/ticker/350

Height: 5'6

I also watched the show & initially I thought it was so heart touching & I was so proud of his progress.. But the next day when I was thinking of the show, I realized they didn't really give much inside information as far as his diet & his work out. Losing all that weight in that amount of time seemed so "extreme" .. it's a little unrealistic for regular ppl like myself .. =/ I still think it's a good show, I just wish they spent more time giving more details instead of all the dramatics & emotions..
P H A T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #9  
is chubby

Losing that much weight is totaly possible by itself for anyone.
Losing that much weight and be healthy afterwards is not.

They don't show us the downsides of starvation diets and overtraining.

And skin removal surgery must be the most dangerous surgery there is in comparisson to how important it is for the person's health.
I'd rather live with skin flaps than endager my heart for six hours just to look like somebody else.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 156/114/108

That is my biggest complaint with this show - that they don't show the more emotional side of losing weight. They made it seem like all he did was work out and eat that one hamburger and that is how he managed to lose all that weight.

It would be nice if they gave more insight into his diet and the day to day struggles he had to face. I can't imagine the only problem he faced was wanting to play video games.

But good for him! He looks great.
LataJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #11  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbykins View Post
And skin removal surgery must be the most dangerous surgery there is in comparisson to how important it is for the person's health.
I'd rather live with skin flaps than endager my heart for six hours just to look like somebody else.
<rant>

I have to ask - do you have evidence to support this?

I had 11 pounds of skin removed from my abdomen after losing 150 pounds. It was covered IN FULL by my insurance because it was MEDICALLY NECESSARY.

Yes, you heard me - MEDICALLY NECESSARY.

I had skin rashes and chronic yeast infections in the folds. I had PCOS and ovarian cysts, the pain from which was worsened by the weight and pull of the flaps of skin hanging off my body. I had scarring around my waist from the loose skin moving constantly and rubbing against my clothings as I went about my daily activities. I was miserable.

After the removal, five years later? Pain - gone. Rashes & infections - gone. Scarring - gone. Instead I have one giant anchor scar, from breastbone to pelvic bone and from hip to hip, marking the area where the 11 pounds was removed from. When I am able to afford it, I will also have my arms and breasts done, to relieve the chronic aching and pain in my elbows, shoulders, neck, and back.

If you think ANYONE undergoes surgery like that to "look like someone else", you are sorely mistaken.

</rant>
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #12  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

There are people for whom skin surgery is definitely medically necessary; I think the guy on the show probably fell into that category, considering how his loose skin formed flaps that could impede his movement, cause skin problems, and so forth.

I do object to the way it's typically presented on weight-loss shows: a medical necessity for everyone who loses weight, as much a part of weight loss/body shaping as exercise and diet. It's a risky surgery; it's irresponsible for any television show to treat surgery in such a cavalier way, but you see it all the time on other makeover shows and "reality" TV about famous plastic surgeons or any of the so-called "Real" housewives.

I didn't think his surgery was at all unnecessary, but I wish the show had at least mentioned why it was a necessity and that it carries risks. It isn't a mandatory part of weight loss and greater health like a controlled diet and activity are.

Anyway, I found the show maudlin. It's a scripted drama masquerading as a reality show, not a show about weight loss. Weight loss happens, obviously--the guy really did do an astonishing job of losing it--but the show focuses much more on lurid emotion. I felt embarrassed, not touched; things like grief and loss and once-in-a-lifetime father/son moments before a wedding are personal. I felt like a voyeur.

It's also appalling to me that losing 97 pounds in 90 days is deemed insufficiently impressive to reward the guy with Braves season tickets. He couldn't have worked any harder for those three months! I find it grotesque that they put these time-related goals out there; all it does is teach people that if you don't meet your goal, no matter how unrealistic or unhealthy, you are a failure at dieting.

Ugh. After writing all this down, I realize that I really don't want to watch this show any more. Didn't even realize I had such strong feelings of antipathy toward it as I do.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

I am SOOOO not a fan.

I don't get it...weight loss is mostly food choices and exercise is to prevent muscle loss and to possibly build muscle for the 'active tissue' effect on burning more calories.

Why oh why do all the weight related shows have a trainer in charge instead of a nutritionist? Drama? I'll show them drama and a near drag down, drag out, no holds barred fight with myself when I want peanut butter cups!
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 455/434.5/225

Height: 6'3''

I am INDEED a fan. Absolutley a FAN...I watch the show to see the people's journey and their amazing progress. Not to get free weight loss plans. It's not a self-help show really,I think what we want from the show is for them to tell-all. But, in reality, Chris Powell has a plan, that is available for purchase called Rehsape The Nation. The plan is the same one he used on David, his most famous client/success. I've followed the plan and lost weight, I just couldn't afford to keep doing it, not because it's majorly expensive, but because I was broke lol. I am now eyeing the program again (Thank God for a payraise). He does carb cycling with occasional "cheat" meals or days. If he's staying true to what he's been using, it's safe and effective....now all the supervised exercise is a bit unrealistic. I know I don't believ do that unmotivated or unsupervised. Well now, I can't but soon I will. However people not on TV and without personal trainers lose this kind of weight in that short time...and keep it off. These kind of people are inspiration to me. I watch the show for inspirational entertainment, not notes. So I love it. Chirs does seem chessy, but he seems genuine as well. And I'd much rather have sincerity covered in cheese, than a fake, paycheck driven person with all the "cool" in the world. I like how in the sneak peak for the next episode he lost it on some passerby who was mocking his client while he was walking on the bridge. The little man has a big heart and I appreciate it! Even though he is a tad corny lol
TheRightWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 455/434.5/225

Height: 6'3''

Oh and the skin surgery thing...If I need it, i'll have it. As in if I have excess sking that adds bulk to my frame, I will have it. I am healthy now (relatively anyway:no diabetes or any other chronic disease/disorder, great blood pressure and cholesterol is great, weird but true, because I am MORBIDLY opbese)and while I may be a "time-bomb" and maintaining good health IS a BIG, BIG reason. Aesthetics is a huge reason too! I mean if I lose fat, I don't want to look fat. Especially if I'm at weight where I should look trim. I just hope my surgery will be covered like LisaP916!! Ummmm who's your insurance provider?? LOL...btu seriously

P.S. SORRY for TWO very long posts!
TheRightWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote