Old 05-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/179/130

Height: 5'3

Default Tofu shirataki noodles?

I know that hungry girl swears by these tofu shirataki noodles and I was thinking of using them to create super healthy mac and cheese. What do they taste/feel like? Do you like them?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 350+/172/150

Height: 5'3"

I love them! They are so low in calories and so filling that it makes me feel secure just to know that if I'm hungry, I have those in the refrigerator... I've had them with a little butter and nonfat mozzarella, with tomato sauce, with turkey bolognese, as a lo mein with soy sauce and vegetables and tofu - so many things to do with them... I just hope that the nutritional information is correct!
freefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

I have used them on several HungryGirl recipes and enjoyed each one, but do think they are better with creamy or buttery sauces rather than Italian red sauces. Be sure to rinse them. If you do not get Hungry Girl emails, you might want to go to the website and sign up for the free emails. I have made many of her simple recipes (I stay away from complicated recipes that force me to buy expensive spices), and I have kept at least 75% of them to make again. I also get emails from EatBetterAmerica and have found some delicious recipes on that site.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/130

Height: 5'0

Maybe I'm in the minority....

I have used them for veggie and/or chicken stir fry and I didn't like them either time I tried them. I followed HG's suggestions on rinsing and drying them as she says, but I found that they still retain a TON of moisture. Each time I have used them in a stir fry, my veggies have become mushy and I was turned off. I tried them 3 different times with the same results and each time I didn't finish my meal!
MrsD2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 219/179/130

Height: 5'3

I bought some the other day. Rinsed them a ton, dried, microwaved for 1 minute and dried again. My opinion is based on trying these completely plain but I felt that the texture was not appealing! It's really really chewy! I'm not sure that I can imagine eating it just with some kind of sauce. I'm still trying to think of a way to use these. Maybe if they're cut up into really small pieces it would be better.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I pretty much only eat them via noodle bowl and they're perfect because the moisture is a non-issue. I cook my vegetables in a very hot pan, add in a bit of broth plus hoisin, stir fry or oyster sauce, add the rinsed and dried noodles, then a healthy squirt of sriracha.
They're phenomenal that way.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #7  

ICK! I've tried them 3 times in different recipes ...I've done everything that was suggested, and they are still icky. I will happily count the points for pasta!
Doingthis4Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/130

Height: 5'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doingthis4Chris View Post
ICK! I've tried them 3 times in different recipes ...I've done everything that was suggested, and they are still icky. I will happily count the points for pasta!
Phew! I'm not the only one!! I keep thinking I should give them another try, but then I don't. I'm perfectly fine using 5 pts+ for pasta!!
MrsD2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #9  
*Buttercup*

S/C/G: 342/208/145

Height: 5'5''

i got the non tofu ones.. and I think I prepared them wrong, needless to say I had one bite and was like..no

but im waiting on my order for the tofu ones. apparently the tofu is suppose to really help with the texture/chewyness.. so we'll see
mypinkpolkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 61"

I tried them a while back and didnt like them, but I dont think I rinsed them well enough. I am going to try them again with some creamy sauce and see how I like them.
dj mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #11  

Hi,

I am a shiratki noodle girl from way back. I have tried the Miracle Noodle with no calories, no nothing and I have tried the House Foods brand. To me, the House Foods brand wins hands down. I just got done eating a whole package of angel hair with homemade turkey spaghetti sauce. I am full and it will take me to supper tonight. I can't eat pasta because I can never eat the suggested serving size. The shirataki noodles make me feel satisfied. Here is a tip:
I have a potato ricer. I open a package of noodles and dump them in the ricer and rinse real well. Then I squeeze hard enough for tons of water to come out of the noodles. I do this several times. The noodles do not squish through the holes. Then I either pop the noodles in the micro for a few minutes or fry(dry) in a skillet.
Gwen
justbeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

"Originally Posted by Doingthis4Chris

ICK! I've tried them 3 times in different recipes ...I've done everything that was suggested, and they are still icky. I will happily count the points for pasta! "

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD2008 View Post
Phew! I'm not the only one!! I keep thinking I should give them another try, but then I don't. I'm perfectly fine using 5 pts+ for pasta!!
Same here!!! I am able to find the House Foods ones at a couple of our stores, and was SO excited to see that. I was dying for super-low-point fettucine alfredo.

Followed all the directions for making them more palatable, made the recipe. I liked the first bite. Really liked the sauce a lot. But the chewiness got to me. It was like chewing rubber for me, and I have a very strong gag reflex. So needless to say, by the second bite of my "Hungry Girlfredo," I had to spit it out before I threw up. I was kind of sad & mad. None of the creamy sauce recipes will even work for me, because underlying the nice sauces will always be the memory of the rubbery texture. I'd much rather follow the recipes but use the lowest point real pasta I can find, even if the dish costs me more points than the actual recipe.

While I won't try the other creamy dishes with tofu shirataki, I would still like to try the zucchini pancakes. I wonder if "frying" the noodles up into this form might work better for me.

Very happy for everyone who loves tofu shirataki. I am honestly jealous, because who doesn't want to enjoy a 1-2 point pasta recipe? I just wanted to chime in for the sake of those who don't like it, to let them know that they're not alone.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 274/259/135

Height: 5'4

The BEST tip I gotten about these noodles is to boil them in CHICKEN STOCK/BROTH. It completely gets rid of the icky smell, etc. I rinse them thoroughly, then boil them and then stirfry them or toss them with whatever sauce.
DCchick is offline   Reply With Quote