Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 06:46 PM   #1  

Default Walk or weights?

I want to lose fifteen pounds and don't have much time to work out. I've heard that just walking isn't the best way to lose weight but I don't really know anyone who weight trains. Should I focus on lifting weights or aerobic exercise?
THanks!
Old 05-25-2003, 11:12 PM   #2  
"L" in Loser!

I would suggest both. The aerobic exercise is wonderful for your heart and helps you burn extra calories. And, weight training enables you to build more muscles, which are going to burn more calories throughout the day, even while you sleep.

Go check out the forum about bodybuilding...there are some great links to sites that can help you.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

I alternate days of cardiovascular & weight lifting. I try to do 30 to 45 minutes of exercise each day & alternate between the two. So, you could go for a 30 min. walk on Monday and then lift weights for about 30 minutes on Tuesday, etc. That way, it mixes up your workouts a bit, which makes it easier to stay on track and you get the benefits of both forms of exercise. There are a lot of weight lifting books & videos & DVDs out there to help you. My favorite strength training DVD/Video is Tammy Lee Webb's "I Want That Body." It consists of six 15 minute strength workouts - 2 for buns/legs, 2 for abs & 2 for arms. You can mix them up for variety. I usually try to do one of each body part - total of 45 minutes. Good Luck!

PS - the more muscle you build, the more calories you will burn 24 hours a day!
Closed Thread