Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 06-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/288/150

Height: 5'4

Default I want to do 10 pounds a month.

I think 10 pounds a month is a reasonable mini goal. I hope...

I'm trying to stay at (or under) 1,200 cals a day. I also want to get in at LEAST 30 minutes of exercise each day.

I just tried Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and I yeah... not gonna happen for a while. I was good until the jumping jacks. My boobs are waaaaaaay too big (and not secured down) to do jumping of any sort. Then I got onto our (hardwood) floors to do the modified push ups (using your knees) and yeah... hurt like crazy. Took me five minutes just to get down onto the floor and back up. Glad no one was around to see that, lol.

We have an elliptical that we bought with our tax money this year. I can do about two minutes before my legs turn into burning jello. I'm trying to work on that.

We also have a treadmill... I can do about 10 minutes before my ankles and knees beg me to stop.

So I'm hoping once I've dropped 20 or 30 pounds exercising will be easier. It's not fun right now and it's killing my motivation.

Last edited by Michigan Jen; 06-03-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Michigan Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #2  
*Buttercup*

S/C/G: 342/208/145

Height: 5'5''

It will definitely get easier! I promise..

A few suggestions:

Do 10 minutes at a time on the elliptical, 3-4 times a day! Then slowly build up to 11 minutes..12 minutues..ect..
This way you get all ur exercise in for the day, and you don't feel like dying while doing it!

I would suggest elliptical over treadmill, thats only because personally I feel like I work harder on the elliptical, and always just end up walking on the treadmill..wasting my time..

Now for the work out dvd, during the jumping jack part, do as many as you can do, then do something else (that is in the dvd and easier for you to do) while they do the jumping jacks. That way you keep your heart rate up!

Maybe get a workout pad to lay on the floor for your push ups!!

You can do this
mypinkpolkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

One thing you can do for 30 DS's cardio that isn't jumping jacks or jump rope is the punches (it's part of the second cardio routine). You bend your knees slightly and just punch across the body, alternating hands. It'll get your heart-rate up.

And I agree with mypinkpolkadot, but an exercise mat if you're going to do any kind of floor work. They're not too expensive and easy to find at places like Target.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #4  

I do like the punches! I never thought about subbing in something I CAN do for something I CAN'T... that way I won't get frustrated with myself, angrily turn off the DVD player and whip the remote across the room! (Like I did earlier...)

I will definitely be looking for a mat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferumbras View Post
One thing you can do for 30 DS's cardio that isn't jumping jacks or jump rope is the punches (it's part of the second cardio routine). You bend your knees slightly and just punch across the body, alternating hands. It'll get your heart-rate up.

And I agree with mypinkpolkadot, but an exercise mat if you're going to do any kind of floor work. They're not too expensive and easy to find at places like Target.
I wish I could do 10 minutes! That's my goal, to be at 10 by the end of the month. I do love how I feel when I'm done with my measly 2 minutes, lol, the elliptical really works you! It's super easy on my knees too, which I LOVE.

I might have to sub the push ups with some other floor exercise for now... I think it's just too much weight on my poor knees, lol, they aren't happy with me at this time.

Thanks for the encouragement! I CAN do this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypinkpolkadot View Post
It will definitely get easier! I promise..

A few suggestions:

Do 10 minutes at a time on the elliptical, 3-4 times a day! Then slowly build up to 11 minutes..12 minutues..ect..
This way you get all ur exercise in for the day, and you don't feel like dying while doing it!

I would suggest elliptical over treadmill, thats only because personally I feel like I work harder on the elliptical, and always just end up walking on the treadmill..wasting my time..

Now for the work out dvd, during the jumping jack part, do as many as you can do, then do something else (that is in the dvd and easier for you to do) while they do the jumping jacks. That way you keep your heart rate up!

Maybe get a workout pad to lay on the floor for your push ups!!

You can do this
Old 06-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

If you can't do the push-ups, try doing planks or superwomen. They'll strengthen your back and core, which'll help in the long-run with push-ups.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #6  

Ooooh, superwoman I can do! They did those in level 2 I think, we were watching it the other day and I tried them! I like it because I'm distributing my weight all through my body rather than placing it all on one or two joints. Not sure what planks are, off to google it!!

Edit to add: Just googled it, I think I could go those!! Like you said, they look good for strengthening! I'm going out tonight (seeing The Hangover 2) and we're gonna go grocery shopping after, I'm gonna look for a good mat.

Last edited by Michigan Jen; 06-03-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I think your plan sounds great, and I second the advice you've gotten with one amendment: are you sure 1200 (or less??) cals is enough? You know your body best, but if you're going to be exercising and things, it might be prudent to up your cals just a few hundred or so. It's your choice of course, and I'm not trying to badger-but, it just seemed very low to me.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: H~285... 260/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

The first step IMO is just doing SOMETHING. If you're anything like me, you did nothing before, or very little. So anything is an improvement over that. If you can do 10 minutes this week, and 15 next week, and 20 the next... that is progress! We're not expecting you to start exercising and be running a marathon in a week! Every little bit helps! I track my daily exercise and diet, so I know what I am doing from day to day and having something to track helps my motivation!

I have been watching youtube videos from my favorite bands on my phone while on the treadmill, or listening to music on my ipod, and that really helps to take my mind off of what I'm doing. If I THINK about the minutes passing, I feel more tired than if I look down and I'm surprised by how long it's been.

I tried last year to do the treadmill thing and I was completely giving up after only 10-15 minutes, and only doing it a few days a week. This times around, I feel like a switch has been flipped and I am really feeling motivated. Suddenly, I can do 30 minutes straight easily, 45 minutes if I really push myself. So I do think it's psychological as much as physical!
Beka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #9  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

I'll echo what fatferretfanatic said... I think you would still see a dramatic weight loss while taking in more calories (in the beginning) and you might be more likely to stick to it if it is a more gradual change.
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote